The Achievable Dream 5-part series - the definitive guide on DVD for planning your motorcycle adventure. Get Ready! covers planning, paperwork, medical and many other topics! "Inspirational and Awesome!" See the trailer here!
Gear Up! is a 2-DVD set, 6 hours! Which bike is right for me? How do I prepare the bike? What stuff do I need - riding gear, clothing, camping gear, first aid kit, tires, maps and GPS? What don't I need? How do I pack it all in? Lots of opinions from over 150 travellers! "This DVD will save you a fortune!"See the trailer here!
So you've done it - got inspired, planned your trip, packed your stuff and you're on the road! This section is about staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure. And crossing borders, war zones or oceans!
On the Road! is 5.5 hours of the tips and advice you need to cross borders, break down language barriers, overcome culture shock, ship the bike and deal with breakdowns and emergencies."Just makes me want to pack up and go!" See the trailer here!
Tire Changing!Grant demystifies the black art of Tire Changing and Repair to help you STAY on the road! "Very informative and practical." See the trailer here!
Ladies on the Loose! For the first time ever, a motorcycle travel DVD made for women, by women! These intrepid women share their tips to help you plan your own motorcycle adventure. They also answer the women-only questions, and entertain you with amazing tales from the road! Presented by Lois Pryce, veteran solo traveller through South America and Africa and author of 'Lois on the Loose', and 'Red Tape and White Knuckles.'
"It has me all fired up to go out on my own adventure!" See the trailer here!
We're not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown a hobby into a full time job and a labour of love.
When you decide to become a Member, it helps directly support the site. You get additional privileges on the HUBB, access to the Members Private Store, and more to come as we roll out new systems. Of course, you get our sincere thanks, good karma and knowing you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. :-)
Travel BooksMotorcycle and travel books to inspire and inform you!
DVDs - Watch and Learn!
Horizons Unlimited presents!
Achievable Dream The definitive guide to planning your motorcycle adventure! This insanely ambitious 2-year project has produced an informative and entertaining 5-part, 18 hour DVD series. "The ultimate round the world rider's how-to DVD!" MCN UK.
Collectors Box SetAll 5 DVDs with a custom printed slip case. "The series is 'free' because the tips and advice will save much more than you spend on buying the DVD's."
Advertisers- Horizons Unlimited is well-established as the first source of reliable, unbiased information on all aspects of motorcycle travel.
We reach a dedicated, worldwide group of real travellers, and are the only website focusing exclusively on long distance motorcycle travellers.
If you sell motorcycles or motorcycle accessories, riding gear, camping equipment and clothing, transport motorcycles, organize motorcycle tours, or have motorcycles to rent, you should be advertising with us!
TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / WantedPost your TRAVELLING bike for sale here. INCLUDE COUNTRY in subject, (e.g. 89 Transalp for sale, CA USA) and include currency in the post ;-) Please DELETE your post when the bike is sold.
We've had a code update on the HUBB that should fix any issues with the new right hand column. If the HUBB "looks funny" or is too narrow with the Forum description squished up, please force a refresh to get the latest code update. (Hold down the shift OR ctrl key, and click the refresh button on your browser, OR Ctrl R, OR on Macs, Command R). If you still have a problem please post it here.
Trusty Kawasaki Klr 650 Klr650 For Sale In Buenos Aires, Argentina, $2400
1994 Kawasaki KLR 650
Travelling Man´s Bike
48,000 km/ 29,700 miles
14,400 km when I bought it 1.5 years ago + app 33,000 km on this trip
9,000 miles when I bought it 1.5 years ago + app 20,600 miles on this trip
Up for sale is a trusty KLR 650, Kawasaki´s legendarily reliable large single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, dual-purpose machine.
I drove this bike all the way here to Buenos Aires from the United States, and it has experienced nary a mechanical problem of any consequence. Prior to leaving the US, the bike was thoroughly tuned and then fortified with scores of high-end aftermarket upgrades, the details of which are outlined in the following description. The bike was meticulously maintained mechanically throughout the trip, from the periodic adjustment of the doohickey to pressure in the tires and everything in between.
I am selling the bike only because I do not have time to drive it all the way home. I am sad to part with it, and I hope that if you buy it that you use it for what I built it up to do: travel.
The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition, and I would not hesitate to ride it all the way back to North America tomorrow. It comes with a ton of aftermarket components. What´s more, I am including nearly everything I brought for the trip: spare cables, filters, fuses, cover, heavy duty cable wheel lock, trunk, panniers, spare tubes - even my helmet and riding pants. The list goes on, and the list follows in full detail. If I forgot something and do not list it, I will include it with the sale.
* ´Corbin´ Ergonomically-Designed Touring Seat (Flat not dished)
* ´Odyssey´ Dry-Cell Battery (last ten years, higher amperage, never needs distilled water or maintenance)
* ´K&N´ High Airflow Performance Filter
* ´Arrowhead´ Steel Radiator and Water Pump Guards
* ´IMS´ Low-Profile Shifter
* Low-Profile Magnetized Oil Drain Plug (Protects plug from loose rocks on road and is magnetized to clean circulating oil of metal debris in engine)
* Comfortable Gel Handle Grips
* Mirror Vibration Stabilizers (Make it easier to see things clearly in mirror on bumpy roads or at high speeds)
* Self-locking Axle and Chain Adjuster Nuts (No cotter pins required)
* Kickstand and clutch engine-kill override (so you don´t have to start it in neutral)
* ´Crampbuster´ throttle lock (Can control throttle with palm of your hand so you don´t have to clench the throttle on long trips. Fantastic.)
* ´Larry Roessler ´ Progressive Front Suspension
* ´NGK´ Iridium IX High-Performance Spark Plug
* ´Avon´ Gripster Front and Rear Tires (New as of January. First set lasted all the way from the US to Chile, so they have a lot of life left.)
* Front and rear sprockets and D.I.D. O-ring Chain all replaced in Rio Gallegos in March
* ´Galfer´ Green High-Performance Brake Pads
* ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Front and Rear Tubes
* Sub-Frame Bolts Drilled Out From 8MM to 10MM (To make the frame tougher for off-road riding or with luggage)
* Black ´JC Whitney´ Removable Waterproof Trunk (not cosmetically perfect)
* ´Happy Trails´ Heavy-Duty Custom Pannier Frame
* 2 Waterproof Heavy-Duty Steel Panniers with Waterproof ´Masterlock´ Padlocks (Actually 20mm ammunition cans...not the chincy mermite ones)
* Bike leaks or burns no oil.
* Valves adjusted this week.
* Fork seal replaced this week.
* Front sprocket O-ring replaced this week.
* No significant mechanical issues of any consequence during the trip.
* Would not hesitate to drive this bike all the way back to the US tomorrow.
Extras that come with sale:
* ´JDS´ D.O.T. Full-face Helmet Size XL (purchased in January) with Removable/Washable Liner
* ´Fieldsheer´ Riding Pants with Knee and Hip Armor and Removable/Washable Liner Size XL (has slight tear in crotch)
* Extra Throttle Cable
* Extra Rear Brake Cable
* Extra ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Rear Tube
* Extra ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Front Tube
* Nearly Full Cans of ´K&N´ Filter Cleaner and Filter Oil
* Spare Blinker
* Spare Clutch and Brake Handles
* 2 ´FRAM´ Oil Filters
* Clymer´s Manual: The ¨Bible¨ for this model. Illustrated and meticulously explained instructions for all maintenance and repair procedures for the motorcycle. Includes all mechanical specifications (torque limits, valve specifications, fluid quantities, etc) and parts diagrams as well as recommended service intervals and part numbers. In English.
* Kawasaki KLR 650 Supplemental Service Manual
* Spare fuses
* 2 Spare Master Links For Chain
* 2 Pairs ´Galfer´ ¨Green¨ Front Brake Pads
* 1 Spare ´Eiko´ Halogen Headlight Bulb
* 1 Spare ´NGK´ Iridium IX Spark Plug
* 2 Spare Keys
* Miscellaneous Spare Bolts and Wires
* Heavy-Duty ´Kryptonite´ Wheel Lock with ´Bison´ Hardened Steel Padlock
A fox ran out in front of the motorcycle on a dirt road in northern Argentina back in November and I put the bike down. There was little damage to the bike, but the speedometer instrumentation was destroyed and there was some slight cosmetic and inconsequential structural damage to the front fairing (see pictures), including the windshield.
I have since replaced the windshield with a brand new one and have added a wireless digital speedometer, which I actually like better than the original analog one. As for the fairing, it is not perfect, but it is not a problem. I am just trying to be thorough in this description. All wires are still intact and I still have the speedo cable should you choose to replace the speedometer with an analog one. It´s hard to find the part down here. You could maybe get it off EBay and just plug it into the wiring harness.
Other than that everything is in very good condition and as described.
* The title and registration documents for the motorcycle are from the state of Wisconsin in the United States. The temporary importation documents into Argentina are valid into November of 2007 if you would like to buy the bike and not pick it up immediately. I would like to take the plate with me for posterity´s sake, but will leave it if that is the deal breaker.
* Payment will be accepted in cash or in a cashier´s check sent to my family in Wisconsin or brought to me here.
Delivery of the Motorcycle:
* The motorcycle is in the city of Buenos Aires at the garage of the famed Javier at Dakar Motos (www.dakarmotos.com). I am willing to work with the purchaser to deliver the bike anywhere within a reasonable distance.
I have recently had the motorcycle professionally cleaned (ie it is no longer coated in mud) and am doing the valves so the bike is partially disassembled, but I can take close-up pictures per a serious buyer´s request.
I am undecided as to purchasing a bike down there and riding back or riding my bike down and shipping back . I could possibly be interested in yours how ever I will be unable to get down there again till at lease december.
Please email me at padraig murphy AT SBC GLOBAL DO T NET. Please excuse my weak attempt at a scrambel, just put all togeather as one word.
Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
Membership - Show you're proud to be a Horizons Unlimited Traveller!
Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events such as this one (18 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.
You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or
to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and
knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.