1994 Kawasaki KLR 650
Travelling Man´s Bike
48,000 km/ 29,700 miles
14,400 km when I bought it 1.5 years ago + app 33,000 km on this trip
9,000 miles when I bought it 1.5 years ago + app 20,600 miles on this trip
Up for sale is a trusty KLR 650, Kawasaki´s legendarily reliable large single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, dual-purpose machine.
I drove this bike all the way here to Buenos Aires from the United States, and it has experienced nary a mechanical problem of any consequence. Prior to leaving the US, the bike was thoroughly tuned and then fortified with scores of high-end aftermarket upgrades, the details of which are outlined in the following description. The bike was meticulously maintained mechanically throughout the trip, from the periodic adjustment of the doohickey to pressure in the tires and everything in between.
I am selling the bike only because I do not have time to drive it all the way home. I am sad to part with it, and I hope that if you buy it that you use it for what I built it up to do: travel.
The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition, and I would not hesitate to ride it all the way back to North America tomorrow. It comes with a ton of aftermarket components. What´s more, I am including nearly everything I brought for the trip: spare cables, filters, fuses, cover, heavy duty cable wheel lock, trunk, panniers, spare tubes - even my helmet and riding pants. The list goes on, and the list follows in full detail. If I forgot something and do not list it, I will include it with the sale.
* ´Corbin´ Ergonomically-Designed Touring Seat (Flat not dished)
* ´Odyssey´ Dry-Cell Battery (last ten years, higher amperage, never needs distilled water or maintenance)
* ´K&N´ High Airflow Performance Filter
* ´Arrowhead´ Steel Radiator and Water Pump Guards
* ´IMS´ Low-Profile Shifter
* Low-Profile Magnetized Oil Drain Plug (Protects plug from loose rocks on road and is magnetized to clean circulating oil of metal debris in engine)
* Comfortable Gel Handle Grips
* Mirror Vibration Stabilizers (Make it easier to see things clearly in mirror on bumpy roads or at high speeds)
* ´Galfer´ Steel-Braided Front Brake Line
* Idle Shaft Lever (Doohickey) Upgrade (Essentially preventive maintenance of the one known design flaw of the KLR´s legendary engine MarkNet - KLR650 : Doohickey Replacement (Idler Shaft Lever)
* Self-locking Axle and Chain Adjuster Nuts (No cotter pins required)
* Kickstand and clutch engine-kill override (so you don´t have to start it in neutral)
* ´Crampbuster´ throttle lock (Can control throttle with palm of your hand so you don´t have to clench the throttle on long trips. Fantastic.)
* ´Larry Roessler ´ Progressive Front Suspension
* ´NGK´ Iridium IX High-Performance Spark Plug
* ´Avon´ Gripster Front and Rear Tires (New as of January. First set lasted all the way from the US to Chile, so they have a lot of life left.)
* Front and rear sprockets and D.I.D. O-ring Chain all replaced in Rio Gallegos in March
* ´Galfer´ Green High-Performance Brake Pads
* ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Front and Rear Tubes
* Sub-Frame Bolts Drilled Out From 8MM to 10MM (To make the frame tougher for off-road riding or with luggage)
* Black ´JC Whitney´ Removable Waterproof Trunk (not cosmetically perfect)
* ´Happy Trails´ Heavy-Duty Custom Pannier Frame
* 2 Waterproof Heavy-Duty Steel Panniers with Waterproof ´Masterlock´ Padlocks (Actually 20mm ammunition cans...not the chincy mermite ones)
* Bike leaks or burns no oil.
* Valves adjusted this week.
* Fork seal replaced this week.
* Front sprocket O-ring replaced this week.
* No significant mechanical issues of any consequence during the trip.
* Would not hesitate to drive this bike all the way back to the US tomorrow.
Extras that come with sale:
* ´JDS´ D.O.T. Full-face Helmet Size XL (purchased in January) with Removable/Washable Liner
* ´Fieldsheer´ Riding Pants with Knee and Hip Armor and Removable/Washable Liner Size XL (has slight tear in crotch)
* Extra Throttle Cable
* Extra Rear Brake Cable
* Extra ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Rear Tube
* Extra ´MEFO´ Heavy-Duty Front Tube
* Nearly Full Cans of ´K&N´ Filter Cleaner and Filter Oil
* Spare Blinker
* Spare Clutch and Brake Handles
* 2 ´FRAM´ Oil Filters
* Clymer´s Manual: The ¨Bible¨ for this model. Illustrated and meticulously explained instructions for all maintenance and repair procedures for the motorcycle. Includes all mechanical specifications (torque limits, valve specifications, fluid quantities, etc) and parts diagrams as well as recommended service intervals and part numbers. In English.
* Kawasaki KLR 650 Supplemental Service Manual
* Spare fuses
* 2 Spare Master Links For Chain
* 2 Pairs ´Galfer´ ¨Green¨ Front Brake Pads
* 1 Spare ´Eiko´ Halogen Headlight Bulb
* 1 Spare ´NGK´ Iridium IX Spark Plug
* 2 Spare Keys
* Miscellaneous Spare Bolts and Wires
* Heavy-Duty ´Kryptonite´ Wheel Lock with ´Bison´ Hardened Steel Padlock
* ´Shitsu´ Silver Scratch-Resistant Waterproof Motorcycle Cover
What´s Wrong With the Bike:
A fox ran out in front of the motorcycle on a dirt road in northern Argentina back in November and I put the bike down. There was little damage to the bike, but the speedometer instrumentation was destroyed and there was some slight cosmetic and inconsequential structural damage to the front fairing (see pictures), including the windshield.
I have since replaced the windshield with a brand new one and have added a wireless digital speedometer, which I actually like better than the original analog one. As for the fairing, it is not perfect, but it is not a problem. I am just trying to be thorough in this description. All wires are still intact and I still have the speedo cable should you choose to replace the speedometer with an analog one. It´s hard to find the part down here. You could maybe get it off EBay and just plug it into the wiring harness.
Other than that everything is in very good condition and as described.
* The title and registration documents for the motorcycle are from the state of Wisconsin in the United States. The temporary importation documents into Argentina are valid into November of 2007 if you would like to buy the bike and not pick it up immediately. I would like to take the plate with me for posterity´s sake, but will leave it if that is the deal breaker.
* Payment will be accepted in cash or in a cashier´s check sent to my family in Wisconsin or brought to me here.
Delivery of the Motorcycle:
* The motorcycle is in the city of Buenos Aires at the garage of the famed Javier at Dakar Motos (www.dakarmotos.com)
. I am willing to work with the purchaser to deliver the bike anywhere within a reasonable distance.
General pictures are available throughout my website at The Manifest Destiny - Captain's Log
I have recently had the motorcycle professionally cleaned (ie it is no longer coated in mud) and am doing the valves so the bike is partially disassembled, but I can take close-up pictures per a serious buyer´s request.
Any further questions can be forwared to me at email@example.com