Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   The HUBB PUB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/the-hubb-pub/)
-   -   Motorcycles are bad for your health, but only outside of the US. (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/the-hubb-pub/motorcycles-bad-your-health-but-63454)

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 15:30

Motorcycles are bad for your health, but only outside of the US.
 
File under 'Mildly amusing', 'Vaguely irritating', or 'Downright wrongheaded' depending on your temperament.

Browsing around for vaccine information for a trip I'm planning I find this site - which seems to be a decent enough reference. However, it seems the only medically advisable place to ride a motorcycle is the United States…

Each country listed has a 'General Advice' section, and the very last sentence of every one I've looked at reads "Do not ride on motorcycles." Every one that is apart from the US. Am I to take it that the US has such a stellar road safety record when it comes to motorcycles that the advice is not applicable, whereas the chaotic and uncivilised roads of, say, the UK are just a risk too far? And on a site that is overwhelmingly concerned with vaccination it seems odd to find random safety advice limited to specifically riding only in vehicles with seatbelts and not on bikes. I suppose by comparison doing a spot of bungee jumping, skydiving or good old drinking to excess while on a trip are of zero risk. Which is nice to know.

I just can't figure out why motorcycles are specifically singled out - any ideas?

brclarke 28 Mar 2012 16:36

I've read that more western tourists die overseas on scooters than from any other activity or disease. Most of the time these are folks with little or no riding experience, so it actually sounds like good advice for the average traveller.

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by brclarke (Post 373161)
I've read that more western tourists die overseas on scooters than from any other activity or disease. Most of the time these are folks with little or no riding experience, so it actually sounds like good advice for the average traveller.

In which case why doesn't it apply to the US?

John Downs 28 Mar 2012 16:48

What do they know? It also warns to wear sunblock in the UK which seems counterintuitive. :-)

The last time I was in the UK I rented a car at the ferry landing in Wales and headed up to Scotland. The country roads are narrower than the U.S. Much better for motorcycles. Especially when a lorry comes careening around the corner on a road lined with hedgerows and rock walls.

Of course riding motorcycles is overall more dangerous than riding in a car in any country you may travel in. The U.S. or otherwise. Anyone who says different is delusional or trying to convince their Mom that it is the perfect teenage transportation mode.

Cheers,
John Downs

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Downs (Post 373163)
Of course riding motorcycles is overall more dangerous than riding in a car in any country you may travel in. The U.S. or otherwise. Anyone who says different is delusional or trying to convince their Mom that it is the perfect teenage transportation mode.

I'd not dispute any of that. I guess it's the singling out of one type of comparatively dangerous activity over others that's puzzling to me. The majority of the site covers disease outbreaks, vaccines, etc. - which is quite distinct from general safety advice. If we agree inexperienced riders hiring bikes on holiday is a risky business, presumably we can come up with a pretty exhaustive list of other activities that are equally as dangerous (Cycling through the London rush-hour, for example, I can vouch for!)… why are these not listed?

I've not really got a bee in my bonnet about this… :taz: …honest. ;o)

Threewheelbonnie 28 Mar 2012 17:16

Sound like something written by the in-sewer-ants. They'd have us all stay in bed so long as there was a bed exclusion clause.

Andy

estebangc 28 Mar 2012 18:07

Just forgot to COPY AND PASTE????
 
Maybe the guy forgot to copy and paste the two last paragraphs? (checked UK, Spain, US and Central Africa Republic; unfortunately I won't never have that minute back again)

Or maybe only in the US you can scratch animal bites, or only the the US you do not need to use condoms in all sexual encounters, as in the rest of the world? (General advice is the same for all countries, except US with two paragraphs missing/forgotten)

"Avoid contact with stray dogs and other animals. If an animal bites or scratches you, clean the wound with large amounts of soap and water and contact local health authorities immediately. Wear sun block regularly when needed. Use condoms for all sexual encounters. Ride only in motor vehicles with seat belts. Do not ride on motorcycles".

I'm sorry, but I do not get your point. I'd try to ask in a site dedicated to pets why in the US you can touch dogs but not in the rest of the world, are dogs in the US cleaner than in Europe??? Could rise a nice debate.

Esteban

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by estebangc (Post 373172)
…unfortunately I won't never have that minute back again)

Sorry dude :innocent:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I do not get your point. I'd try to ask in a site dedicated to pets why in the US you can touch dogs but not in the rest of the world, are dogs in the US cleaner than in Europe??? Could rise a nice debate.
The point is that the site is primarily dedicated to health information from the perspective of infectious disease and yet, out of all the other potentially risky health-endangering activities they elect to single out riding a motorcycle for particular attention. If I cared that much about it I'd probably go the 'strongly worded letter' route, as it is that seemed overly petty so I figured bitch about it humorously with potentially like minded people seemed better.

Also, to be honest - I'm new here (despite lurking unregistered for a few years) and this seemed like a fun way to get familiar with how things work in this 'ere particular forum. :smartass:

estebangc 28 Mar 2012 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by *wookie* (Post 373174)
The point is that the site is primarily dedicated to health information from the perspective of infectious disease and yet, out of all the other potentially risky health-endangering activities they elect to single out riding a motorcycle for particular attention. If I cared that much about it I'd probably go the 'strongly worded letter' route, as it is that seemed overly petty so I figured bitch about it humorously with potentially like minded people seemed better.

Got lost in the very last sentence, "me no English", mind to explain it?

BUT if you ask why they single out motorcycling riding as a dangerous activity over other ones, so to be avoided when travelling, I'd say:

1) Many more people ride bikes (or pretend they can do it when they are abroad on a Greek/Thai island) than people rock climb skycrapers, so it reaches a bigger spectrum of travellers mentioning it.
2) Riding abroad is potentially more difficult: different habits, signs, "wrong drive side" (:innocent:), etc.
3) In case of an accident, riding may be much worse than driving.
4) Being a US site, maybe they think it's good to advice "don't ride abroad" to avoid being sued? Don't know. I was astonished to see that wearing helmet was not mandatory in Florida, but that's a different story.

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by estebangc (Post 373178)
Got lost in the very last sentence, "me no English", mind to explain it?

Sure. 'Strongly worded letter' is probably be a UK specific reference. Take it as meaning 'I'd rather have a discussion with you folks than bother whoever wrote this in a bitchy way.

As to the rest - I agree generally with all your points. But still, I find singling out riding a motorcycle over all other potentially dangerous activities to be slightly ridiculous. I mean, who -regardless of country of origin- isn't aware that doing things you're unfamiliar with in environments you're unfamiliar with is potentially risky?

estebangc 28 Mar 2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by *wookie* (Post 373181)
Sure. 'Strongly worded letter' is probably be a UK specific reference. Take it as meaning 'I'd rather have a discussion with you folks than bother whoever wrote this in a bitchy way.

As to the rest - I agree generally with all your points. But still, I find singling out riding a motorcycle over all other potentially dangerous activities to be slightly ridiculous. I mean, who -regardless of country of origin- isn't aware that doing things you're unfamiliar with in environments you're unfamiliar with is potentially risky?

I totally agree with you, it's natural we here especially dislike that approach. But don't forget that the same guy who tried to dry the its dog in the microwave may also read their health/safety site (and may sue them)! We say "common sense is the the least common of senses".:D

PS: apologies for comment about the lost minute, I re-read it and it sounds bad, but doesn't mean to be offensive. Written language is quite different to oral, since tone is not there to be heard.

*wookie* 28 Mar 2012 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by estebangc (Post 373185)
I totally agree with you, it's natural we here especially dislike that approach. But don't forget that the same guy who tried to dry the its dog in the microwave may also read their health/safety site (and may sue them)! We say "common sense is the the least common of senses".:D

PS: apologies for comment about the lost minute, I re-read it and it sounds bad, but doesn't mean to be offensive. Written language is quite different to oral, since tone is not there to be heard.

Wait… you shouldn't dry a dog in a microwave?

John Ferris 28 Mar 2012 21:37

:offtopic: How does *wookie* have 6 posts above this post :thumbup1:
and his post count is "0"

chris 28 Mar 2012 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Ferris (Post 373196)
:offtopic: How does *wookie* have 6 posts above this post :thumbup1:
and his post count is "0"

Posts in the Bar don't count towards the "Post count".

Threewheelbonnie 29 Mar 2012 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by *wookie* (Post 373188)
Wait… you shouldn't dry a dog in a microwave?

Did the article mention yellow snow? :rofl:

Andy


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:48.


vB.Sponsors