Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   The HUBB PUB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/the-hubb-pub/)
-   -   MC Purchase (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/the-hubb-pub/mc-purchase-62844)

robopie 22 Feb 2012 23:25

MC Purchase
What countries can a U.S. citizen buy, register and hold title to vehicles?

England and Aussie ??


brclarke 23 Feb 2012 04:38

I think in a lot of countries it all depends on how much money and time you are willing to spend. If you have enough of both, you can eventually get a motorcycle registered almost anywhere.

robopie 23 Feb 2012 15:19

What countries can you pay the "normal," fees and get the title doc in a short period of time? Is UK the only country? Thanks, trip planning in progress.

MountainMan 23 Feb 2012 16:44

Hey Robo,

You'll likely get more feedback if you are more specific in the countries or region of the world you are loosely considering. One would assume you are mostly focussed on Europe but the Aussie reference confuses it a bit.

In general, you can buy and register a bike in almost any country. They will usually sell to any temporary resident and in some cases tourists, and in many countries you can claim to be a temporary resident simply by providing any temporary address. In others, you actually have to provide some backup but in most cases they are happy to take your money and have you pay taxes.

The main limitations are finding a country with low bike prices and low taxes minimizing total costs. It also helps to buy in a country with a fairly straighforward registration process. It also helps to speak the language.

There are a couple of old threads on HU about the best place in Europe to buy a bike which you can search if you want to. I would suggest UK and Germany as two places to start. on the other side of the globe, Oz is ok, but prices are in general higher.

Walkabout 23 Feb 2012 16:54

:rofl: When I read this thread!

Come out of the HU bar and check this out:-

Also, take a look at the Trip Paperwork forum which has at least a couple of sticky threads that deal with the matter of the UK.
Despite the problems contained in the linked thread, the UK registration system is not too complex IMO. It is almost fully automated via national software and jobs-worthies (apologies to anyone who actually has the misfortune to work for the DVLA - I am referring to the high echelon policy makers) so you need to "go with the flow", get the paperwork done (can also be done online) and move on .................. to riding or driving, the procedures are the same.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:37.