Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Chat Forum > The HUBB PUB

The HUBB PUB Chat forum - no useful content required!

BUT the basic rules of polite and civil conduct which everyone agreed to when signing up for the HUBB, will still apply, though moderation will be a LITTLE looser than elsewhere on the HUBB.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 13 Feb 2010
Moderator, Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancashire England
Posts: 285
Hi Ted,

if it keeps 'em happy and leaves the ferry places open for us then we should be happy they're sticking to Yorkshire. Afterall the powder coating of the panniers is essential before heading to Yorkshire!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 13 Feb 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Posts: 12
Thoughts from a wanna be.

I first thought about doing a motorbike trip when i was in Chile and i met an american chap that was doing Alaska to TDF. I thought that the trip he was on was amazing.

It was always going to be a long term project because I didn't know anything about bikes and i had never even sat on one. The thought about taking a long trip on a bike was much more intimidating than pottering around with a rucksack.

A couple of years ago i bought my bike and i have been riding every day (bar snow) since then.

In the time between having the idea and getting the bike LWR happened and it did spur me on - i hadn't heard of mondo then. LWR looked like a huge amount of fun and i wanted some of it.

Last year i went to Ripley - I thought that it was inspiring - the trips that people had been on were fantastic.

Since then I have taken my bike on a 2 week jaunt though europe. It was a huge adventure for me - i had never ridden abroad, never riden on a long journey with a loaded bike, never ridden in mountains, never done customs, etc - from my point of view an adventure is doing something outside of your comfort zone - my 2 weeks in europe with my bike was more of an adventure than 2 weeks in bolivia with my back pack.

I am going back to Ripley this year (booked) and hopefully the year after i won't be able to go because i will be somewhere in Mexico - according to my theory this will be a Huge adventure.

The point about LWD is that when i say to people about wanting to do a moto trip they say "wow, that will be amazing" rather than "don't do it" (except for my mum) and i don't think that is a bad thing.

Ripley from my point of view is partly about taking to the guys and gals that have done it - that have done the things that i want to do - that i am going to do - and it would be a shame if people didn't go because of people with "limited adventures".

It does upset me though when people say it was so much better in the old days - for one things change, new people get involved in and technologies move on but two and more importantly - I wasn't there in the old days, I am doing my adventure and i am doing it in my time - and it will still be an adventure because i am going into the unknown.

Just a few thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 13 Feb 2010
mj's Avatar
mj mj is offline
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum
"oooo you wanna get yourself a real bike son" Look at my GS1200 Adventure covered in Touratwat, thats what you need.. I'm doing a trip to Yorkshire next weekend once I've got my metal mules powder coated" - Actual quote from Ripley 2009
Which, again, doesn't mean the 1200GSA is the wrong bike for the job. For some it's the perfect bike for doing extensive trips around Europe/Africa/America/Asia/Australia/the World. Others make sure to clean, wash, ans polish it every time they've taken it out of the garage and exposed it to sunlight and, god forbid, dirt or dust. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend anyone here. I'm just curious: where do you draw the line? Is it adventurous to do an extensive one or two month trip through Eastern Europe, two-up on an '89 Yamaha XT600Z Tenere with full camping gear? Certainly so. But is it also adventurous to do the same, two-up on a brand-new 1200GSA with full camping gear?

But maybe I'm just misunderstanding something here. Maybe this is a specifically British phenomenon because I can tell you one thing for sure: over here in Germany the wannabes stick to their city and the local strip, because god forbid they could get their brand-new motorcycle and equipment dirty or, even worse, noone would see them prancing around showing off what they can afford. I have yet to see a wannabe adventurer outside the city, on a campsite or wild camping somewhere off the beaten track. What I have seen are 1150GSAs, several years old with less than 10,000kms. However, I have also seen plently BMWs off the beaten track and, until recently, despised them myself when I still had my Tenere. Now that I have one myself I have learned to differentiate because there is a small portion of BMW riders who actually are not like all the others. I despise the ones that try to solve everything with money - I'm registered on a big BMW forum and whatever question I ask there, the solution is almost always "go to TT/Wunderlich/BMW and buy abcdefg, then have your mechanic do the job for you". There's way too many wannabes out there, I give you that. But there's also a solid core of those who have chosen the bike according to the purpose and not vice versa.

Again, maybe I'm just not getting this. Maybe it's a British phenomenon that outsiders cannot understand. Maybe it has to do with the fact that neither LWR nor LWD were shown in TV over here, and that adventure motorcycling is not the fad in certain circles. I think it's still SUVs right now, with mud in cans and pseudo offroad capabilities. Because you never know when the jungle might hit you. Downtown of course.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 13 Feb 2010
slickmouse's Avatar
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1
My first post!
I cant stand those guys and it's because with all their money they're not prepared to really do it themselves, they try to tell you it was a struggle and I for one wasnt convinced.

And if you were daft enough to make them more money by buying their DVD's then I'm almost lost for words
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 13 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Thoughts from a wanna be.

I first thought about doing a motorbike trip when i was in Chile and i met an american chap that was doing Alaska to TDF. I thought that the trip he was on was amazing.

It was always going to be a long term project because I didn't know anything about bikes and i had never even sat on one. The thought about taking a long trip on a bike was much more intimidating than pottering around with a rucksack.

A couple of years ago i bought my bike and i have been riding every day (bar snow) since then.

In the time between having the idea and getting the bike LWR happened and it did spur me on - i hadn't heard of mondo then. LWR looked like a huge amount of fun and i wanted some of it.

Last year i went to Ripley - I thought that it was inspiring - the trips that people had been on were fantastic.

Since then I have taken my bike on a 2 week jaunt though europe. It was a huge adventure for me - i had never ridden abroad, never riden on a long journey with a loaded bike, never ridden in mountains, never done customs, etc - from my point of view an adventure is doing something outside of your comfort zone - my 2 weeks in europe with my bike was more of an adventure than 2 weeks in bolivia with my back pack.

I am going back to Ripley this year (booked) and hopefully the year after i won't be able to go because i will be somewhere in Mexico - according to my theory this will be a Huge adventure.

The point about LWD is that when i say to people about wanting to do a moto trip they say "wow, that will be amazing" rather than "don't do it" (except for my mum) and i don't think that is a bad thing.

Ripley from my point of view is partly about taking to the guys and gals that have done it - that have done the things that i want to do - that i am going to do - and it would be a shame if people didn't go because of people with "limited adventures".

It does upset me though when people say it was so much better in the old days - for one things change, new people get involved in and technologies move on but two and more importantly - I wasn't there in the old days, I am doing my adventure and i am doing it in my time - and it will still be an adventure because i am going into the unknown.

Just a few thoughts
you have us wrong.
you don't have to go to the other side of the world to have a Adventure.

the camerman and I have had great Adventure's in Scotland over a long weekend.


remember...you can buy the Adventure look.

but it's more fun to ....go get the Adventure look.


stay safe

Dazzer
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 14 Feb 2010
Moderator, Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancashire England
Posts: 285
Well said Dazzer.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 14 Feb 2010
*Touring Ted*'s Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wirral, England.
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Thoughts from a wanna be.

I first thought about doing a motorbike trip when i was in Chile and i met an american chap that was doing Alaska to TDF. I thought that the trip he was on was amazing.


Since then I have taken my bike on a 2 week jaunt though europe. It was a huge adventure for me - i had never ridden abroad, never riden on a long journey with a loaded bike, never ridden in mountains, never done customs, etc - from my point of view an adventure is doing something outside of your comfort zone - my 2 weeks in europe with my bike was more of an adventure than 2 weeks in bolivia with my back pack.

You are no wannabe.. You're not all talk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Which, again, doesn't mean the 1200GSA is the wrong bike for the job. For some it's the perfect bike for doing extensive trips around Europe/Africa/America/Asia/Australia/the World. Others make sure to clean, wash, ans polish it every time they've taken it out of the garage and exposed it to sunlight and, god forbid, dirt or dust. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend anyone here. I'm just curious: where do you draw the line? Is it adventurous to do an extensive one or two month trip through Eastern Europe, two-up on an '89 Yamaha XT600Z Tenere with full camping gear? Certainly so. But is it also adventurous to do the same, two-up on a brand-new 1200GSA with full camping gear?

But maybe I'm just misunderstanding something here. Maybe this is a specifically British phenomenon because I can tell you one thing for sure: over here in Germany the wannabes stick to their city and the local strip, because god forbid they could get their brand-new motorcycle and equipment dirty or, even worse, noone would see them prancing around showing off what they can afford. I have yet to see a wannabe adventurer outside the city, on a campsite or wild camping somewhere off the beaten track. What I have seen are 1150GSAs, several years old with less than 10,000kms. However, I have also seen plently BMWs off the beaten track and, until recently, despised them myself when I still had my Tenere. Now that I have one myself I have learned to differentiate because there is a small portion of BMW riders who actually are not like all the others. I despise the ones that try to solve everything with money - I'm registered on a big BMW forum and whatever question I ask there, the solution is almost always "go to TT/Wunderlich/BMW and buy abcdefg, then have your mechanic do the job for you". There's way too many wannabes out there, I give you that. But there's also a solid core of those who have chosen the bike according to the purpose and not vice versa.

Again, maybe I'm just not getting this. Maybe it's a British phenomenon that outsiders cannot understand. Maybe it has to do with the fact that neither LWR nor LWD were shown in TV over here, and that adventure motorcycling is not the fad in certain circles. I think it's still SUVs right now, with mud in cans and pseudo offroad capabilities. Because you never know when the jungle might hit you. Downtown of course.
You misunderstand...

Like you say, not everyone on a 1200GS is a wannabe rich dude who has a can of "spray on mud" and a pocket book full of excuses. But..... Pretty much every idiot who has "All the gear and no idea" will have a 1200GS parked up in their central heated garage. It goes with the territory.

I guess it's just like the people who buy huge desert prepped landrovers to pick up their kids from school.
__________________
www.TouringTed.com
1994 XR650L
2001 NX650 Dominator.

BMW Dealer Technician
Welder/Fabricator

Ushuaia - Colombia 2007/8
UK- South Africa 2010/11
India 2012
Yukon 2012
S.E Asia 2014
U.K - Magadan 2015
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 14 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Posts: 479
I'm more hardcore, no, I'm more hardcore...

Hee hee - wasn't this thread originally about a bunch of guys who are making another television programme about riding motorcycles through different countries?

J xx
__________________
JennyDakar.com
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 14 Feb 2010
mj's Avatar
mj mj is offline
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmagnum View Post
Like you say, not everyone on a 1200GS is a wannabe rich dude who has a can of "spray on mud" and a pocket book full of excuses. But..... Pretty much every idiot who has "All the gear and no idea" will have a 1200GS parked up in their central heated garage. It goes with the territory.

I guess it's just like the people who buy huge desert prepped landrovers to pick up their kids from school.
I think I get it now. Turns out it was a misunderstanding, I assumed that you were reasoning wannabe follows bike but instead it's more of a bike follows wannabe thing.

Either way I'm still convinced that it'll eventually blow over. Money's a very fluid substance and follows wherever the wind blows. Right now it's adventure bikes, prior to that it was SUVs. Who knows what the next fad is going to be.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 14 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: aberdeenshire scotland
Posts: 157
I think people are being a bit harsh here,

People buy suvs because they make them feel safe and before the mpv market it was the only thing with more than 4 spare seats in it.

You could apply teh wanabee logic to any type of vehicle, sports bike riders that dont compete, trail bike riders that dont go offroad[alot of people learn on 125 trail bikes on the road].Ompreza drivers that dont rally, db7 drivers that are not spys.

I very much doubt that BMW built these bikes just so a few people in the market want to ride around the world.

Very few people buy vehicles for their "intended purpose" and due to marketing and cross over vehicles some vehicles are not fit for what they are advertised for.

IF someone wants to buy the best gear and has the cash thats hardly a reason for anyone to complain, it is their money. Its these people that ensure the companies producing the gear or the bikes keep going or put more into research.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 14 Feb 2010
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
This thread just shows how daft these wannabees are .
Metal Mules don't need powder coating ,they are already gold plated .
I thought everybody knew that !
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 15 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Lakes - UK
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzerrtw View Post
+1
when you get these wanttobe's taking the pi55 out of your bike because you have all sorts of home made usefull shit on it .
Hapens to my poor old TTR all the time, homemade plate for the sidestand, re-modled GS screen, home made rack carrier, home made front rack-thingy, yad yada yada.

(actually Dazzer, I can't believe anyone would take this p!$$ out of you. Do you lift them up first? )

To be honest it doesn't bother me one way or the other, there are always "wannabies" in every part of life (I work in IT, jeasus it's full of them, everywhere you turn!). You see them ripping up Green Lanes in the new 4x4's , this does bother me alot, not because they are trying to be someone, but because they are destroying what I and many other enjoy by thier antics.

Adventure: (n) 1) an unusual, exciting, and daringexperience. 2) excitement which is the result of danger or risk. ORIGIN: Latin adventurus 'about to happen'

As the dictionary goes, I'm an adventurer everytime I go shopping with my wife!!

I do find it a little 'odd' though that anyone would like to protect their little club from people coming along that just have different ideas about things. A GS1200 loaded with TT stuff shouldn't stop anyone from being friendly, some people just don't have the mechanical ability to make things themselves and buying it is the only option. Having said that, if the person on the GS is a Cock, then it's fine to castigate them.

I'm happy to talk experiences with anyone, Ewan and Charlie included, I don't know them so I can only form an opinion after meeting them. I think my open-ness to people makes me a better person, I've not always been like that though. In the end, I go home to a fantastic wife and a small selection of good mates, so who I meet while out and about can only enrich my life, and the cocks get forgotten about.

It's not about bikes, it's about the people on them.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 15 Feb 2010
Alexlebrit's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West London
Posts: 921
I confess, I'm a wanabee. Years ago I commuted round town on an old CG125, then I gave up biking. My adventures were car based, usually clapped out 2CVs and deserts in my 20's.

I bought my bike having caught LWR on the TV, it looked fun, I liked the look of the bikes, and I liked the fact they weren't covered in figure hugging leather, and XTGirl told me to. Sure it's only a 125 but it's a Terra Adventure, it looks bigger, a bit like a Tenere, and it came with ali boxes so I was



And then I went and splurged on kevlar reinforced goretex gear, and a helmet with a peak on it. So far on my little 125 I've never been more than a few hundred miles from home, and never for more than a week. And yes I ride around on it with the boxes on ALL the time. I like them, I like how they look, I like how people wonder where I've come from, I'm shallow like that.

Occasionally I fill the boxes up with my briefcase and my laptop, and maybe some clothes which don't look so biker-like, sometimes I use the bike for work and don't want to wander into a client's office looking like I've come to pick up a parcel. When I'm in the mood I ride down the road and buy my ciggies and a baguette, and I put those in my empty panniers to rattle around. But a lot of the time they're empty. Once I took them off, but I kept tripping over them in my garage and the cat peed on them, so I put them back on. I'm shallow like that.

So I probably wont come to Ripley because you hard-core lot will laugh at me, and I'm a bit insecure being as I'm shallow and haven't experienced hardcore like it was back when you did it, and because my gear's a bit new and a bit shiney, and because I have a Touratech catalogue because they were the first name I'd heard of.

But I'll still enjoy my riding, because when I ride I can get away from everything, and everyone's expectations of how I should be, and what bike I should ride, and what I should do, and I don't have to listen to anyone but my own thoughts. And I'll still dream of further adventures that I know I'll continue to have on my little 125, and I'll still be glad that the reason I've got a bike in my life and the freedom it gives me is because I sat and watched some Alex Guinness wannabee and his out of work, kitchen fitter, mate.
__________________
Happiness has 125 cc
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 15 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 237
@Alexlebrit

+1

I too got into biking becasue of LWR/LWD and race to dakar (or RTD). I too have yet to go more then 50 miles away from my home for longer then 3 days and I too wanted the Derbi Terra with Alu boxes becasue it looked like a GS 1200.

I like the shows because I thought heading round the world with your mate on motorbikes was cool.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 15 Feb 2010
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19
Ewan to hit the road with his dog?

from The Press Association: Ewan to hit the road with his dog?

Ewan McGregor is in for a ruff ride - after gearing up his pet to ride in a motorbike sidecar.The keen biker, who was accompanied by pal Charley Boorman for his adventure series Long Way Round and Long Way Down, reckons his family dog could be his next sidekick for a lengthy ride.
Ewan, star of the Star Wars prequels and Trainspotting, has even bought the animal a set of "doggles" - goggles for dogs.
The Hollywood star said he is aiming to bike across South America next, and may opt to shun human company.
"I might go on my own. I got a dog, Sid. I've trained him to ride in my side car and I thought we could do a trip together," he said.
Ewan was speaking as he publicised his latest film The Ghost, which received its premiere at the Berlin Film Festival at the weekend.
The political thriller is based on the book by Robert Harris and has been directed by Roman Polanski, who is still under house arrest in Switzerland facing possible extradition to the US.
Ewan said: "He's not afraid of saying, 'It looks really stupid when you do that like that' but it's just his way and it's never any way of an attack or whatever.
"Maybe it's being British but we're used to politeness in a way that your ego's slightly dented at first with his brusqueness, but once I saw that's him I knew it was never a personal thing. And his direction is unbelievably good," he added.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet cams, Now you too can be a Proper Charley! ( or Ewan) Martynbiker Equipment Reviews 18 7 Jul 2010 18:38
BMW with Charley & Ewan paint job... XT GIRL The HUBB PUB 5 23 Oct 2008 23:20
Ewan & Charley custom paint job... XT GIRL BMW Tech 8 17 Jul 2008 23:49
Charley Boorman off again DarrenM The HUBB PUB 18 5 May 2008 19:21
How long? Turtlevet Trip Paperwork 4 3 Dec 2005 13:18

 
 


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:35.