Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Tech (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/tech/)
-   -   Any problems charging Electrical equipment from the bike (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/tech/any-problems-charging-electrical-equipment-50563)

Orujo 31 May 2010 22:20

Any problems charging Electrical equipment from the bike
 
Has anyone noticed any issues with long term use of the bikes battery to charge electricial stuff such as mobile-phones or MP3 players.

I only ask because I notice when I charge my mobile-phone from the bike, the charge bars seem to move much faster than they do when I charge from the mains. I thought this might cause some long term damage to the battery if used consistantly.

Anyone noticed that a device that should have lastet longer has died because of charging from the bike?

Cheers

*Touring Ted* 31 May 2010 22:25

I assume you're using the 12v intended for the device through a socket ?? They will have their own inbuilt regulation in the cable or in the device itself.

I've never heard of anyone frying anything while using the proper gear and not bodged up systems.

Orujo 1 Jun 2010 21:46

Thanks for the reply Touring Ted.

Yeah, it is a standard charger and appears to have some regulator.
I am not worried anout it frying the phone, more worried about doing long term damage to the phone or its battery.

*Touring Ted* 1 Jun 2010 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orujo (Post 291217)
Thanks for the reply Touring Ted.

Yeah, it is a standard charger and appears to have some regulator.
I am not worried anout it frying the phone, more worried about doing long term damage to the phone or its battery.

It will be fine !!

stephen.stallebrass 11 Jul 2010 11:12

Charging stuff off the bike battery overnight?
 
I've heard that you can charge some stuff off the bike battery overnight? Would this not drain the battery? Is there a rule of thumb in doing this? I've heard of charging stuff whilst on the go but not while the engine is off...

TravellingStrom 12 Jul 2010 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass (Post 296534)
I've heard that you can charge some stuff off the bike battery overnight? Would this not drain the battery? Is there a rule of thumb in doing this? I've heard of charging stuff whilst on the go but not while the engine is off...

I personally would not let things charge overnight. But I would certainly charge things while the engine is turned off, as long as I had one of these handy little gadgets inline with my charge socket. This will discharge but keep enough juice in the battery for a few normal starts the next time. Note, I do not have one of these as yet, but intend to buy one and do some testing now that I am stationary and do not mind flattening the battery :)






http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...eProtector.jpg


Cheers
TravellingStrom

*Touring Ted* 12 Jul 2010 07:08

What do you intend on charging anyway ???

A mobile phone coudln't drain a healthy battery if it tried. Even left overnight. They draw miliamps and usually have overcharge cut off features to prevent battery damage.

If you knew the amount of amp draw your starter motor used and comapred to next to a mobile phone/ipod. You wouldnt worry.

I've overnight charged mobile phones/ipods/battery charger before and have never had a problem.

I wouldnt use an inverter overnight for any 12v supplies as they do suck a lot of power.

It goes a long way having a GOOD quality, new battery and healthy charging system. Check it before you leave home.

backofbeyond 12 Jul 2010 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Touring Ted* (Post 296628)
What do you intend on charging anyway ???

A mobile phone coudln't drain a healthy battery if it tried. Even left overnight. They draw miliamps and usually have overcharge cut off features to prevent battery damage.


Not quite true Ted. I flattened the battery on my CCM when I left my overlanding PAYG phone connected up to to the 12v charger I built into the bike. (charges the phone, runs the sat nav and a couple of other things).

It took about two to three months though - I forgot about it when I parked the bike up over the winter. The phone charged up and didn't take any more power but the charging circuit kept idling and eventually did for the battery.

Overnight wouldn't be a problem though!

ta-rider 12 Jul 2010 12:59

Hi,

I used to charge my camera and my phone on the bike over night while traveling with no problem. Onely if i charge my netbook it will flaten the battery so i have to push start. Flaten the batery too often is not a good thing but not updating your webpage is not good for your friends who want to read your travelreport as well :D

LG, Tobi

*Touring Ted* 12 Jul 2010 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by backofbeyond (Post 296657)
Not quite true Ted. I flattened the battery on my CCM when I left my overlanding PAYG phone connected up to to the 12v charger I built into the bike. (charges the phone, runs the sat nav and a couple of other things).

It took about two to three months though - I forgot about it when I parked the bike up over the winter. The phone charged up and didn't take any more power but the charging circuit kept idling and eventually did for the battery.

Overnight wouldn't be a problem though!

Im pretty sure a CCM battery would go flat in 3 months anyway :laugh:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:05.


vB.Sponsors