Yellow DR650 repaint/rebuild & pics
After my original DR650 had the crankshaft bearing fly through the engine, causing complete failure...I bought a 2nd hand 2008 Canadian DR650 and rebuilt my old bike with a repainted original frame (2010 model) to keep the VIN number for future traveling. The paint wasn't the best quality but it's a nice trial anyway.
- used the 2nd hand bike's Keihin FCR 39 carburetor, works great
- bought new Acerbis 21 L tank, clear/natural colour and painted black with strips to see where fuel level is
- new stickers...courtesy of my brother
- used the other wiring harness as mine had melted down and had a terrible wiring job done it by me earlier
- added a chain oiler
- added LED light onto front fender (not in pic)
- used higher gauge wire for the headlights/LED run off a relay switch to increase power. The relay is turned on/off by the stock light dimmer switch
- added heavy duty switch to turn off ALL lights, for sneaky times and when battery goes low
- new SPI grip warmers
- stock seat...but a nice new sheepskin donated by a Harley rider!
- front fender brace...was mainly for my Wolfman fender toolbag...but seeing I lost that and $200 of tools (shitty bag, don't trust the site, you need permanent retaining straps)
- upgraded fork springs... .47kg/mm and new fork oil
- replaced bike fluids...brake, oil etc
- cleaned carb, oil cooler
- added magnetic sump plug and magnetic ring on oil filter for metallic nasties in the oil
May yet do a stator rewire for more output and loctite my NSU screws.
What do ya think of it?!?!
More pics at Akubra Around The World
'10 Suzuki DR650. 2011+ RTW trip. Currently in Canada. www.followtheakubra.com
Last edited by brianrossy; 5 Jun 2012 at 21:37. Reason: Pics too big
Hello from Alberta
It Darrell from Edmonton. I was wondering how your trip went after you left Alberta last year. I was able the title the 2008 and make a decent bike out of the parts and others I had sourced. So I went to go for a ride and had a starter gear failure. Disaster. I was really disappointed.so i started thinking and then I remembered reading you post about your choices you had when you had the bad situation with your 2010 motor. So I decided on a whim to call and see if they had a boxed up. Motor and they still had it. So off I went on the weekend paid for the works and Iam busy perparing the transfer. I wanted to write you a note to say your engine cases will live on along with the frame which I purchased from you. Talk about recycling or one mans junk is another's treasure. Lol
So I have a lot of work behind me but as you can tell I never give up the fight is not over lol
Don't know if your on here much but would like to let you know the rest I this story.
Hope all is well
Where are you of too next?
Last edited by Drdarrell; 10 Jul 2013 at 08:08. Reason: Spelling
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|DR650 RTW/ADV prepped - Boston, USA||JediMaster||TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / Wanted||3||24 May 2012 12:08|
|Suzuki DR650 for sale in Cusco, Peru (US Title)||TheMirror100||TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / Wanted||7||25 Feb 2012 01:23|
|DR650 Russell Day-Long||jfboothe||TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted||0||24 Feb 2012 03:42|
|DR650 SE or KTM Adventure?||Zimi||Which Bike?||31||16 Feb 2012 20:07|
|Luggage/load: DR-Z400 vs DR650?||Chinggis||Which Bike?||4||2 Nov 2011 20:46|