Route Planning Sub-Saharan Africa-2 months
We are in the final planning stages for our epic trip to East Africa. Our plan is to have two dual-sport bikes looking to spend half our time on sealed roads and the other half on dirt. We will be starting our trip form Zimbabwe and ending in Nairobi. We have a rough list of things we would like to do and see but need the Hubb’s great community to help us fill in the missing dots. Any advice on great parks, things to do, places to stay, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
1. From Zimbabwe should we head to Zambia or go through Mozambique? Which offers the best conditions for travelers in terms of fun roads, interesting sights, and culture?
2. Once we get to Tanzania we are looking at cutting up through Mbeya through lake Tanganyika (Ferry Cost?) To Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda, then circling back down from Kampala to Nairobi. There looks to be one main route through Burundi, Rwanda, and Uganda or is there an alternative routing through these countries? Is the western route through Tanzania preferable when compared to the central route through Dodoma and Mwanza?
3. Our Top Things To Do List: Any thing to add?
o Zamebzie River rafting/canoeing
o Mana Pools National Park
South Luangwa National Park
o Nyikia National Park
o Katavi National Park
• Ngorongoro Crater
o Lake Bunyoni - in south west Uganda
o Murchinson Falls-Rafting
o Lake Victoria
4. Not to miss guesthouses or camping spots
• Kembu Camp- Kenya
• Fisherman's Camp Lake Naivasha, Kenya
• Wildebeast--Nairobi, Kenya
• Green Turtle Lodge Kenya
We have been reading a ton of blogs and scouring the hub website and have gotten some great information. We will also be purchasing tracks4 Africa's map set as well. Any help or insight you can provide to our trip with detailed routing information would be greatly appreciated. If you find yourself traveling in the region from July-August drop me a line as we would love to meet up with other riders for a bit.