Cut and pasted this from a post I did a while back...
We got our Nigerian visa in Ghana. This is the best place to get it, as the embassy in Benin, while bordering Nigeria, only offers visas for Beninese residents. I'll assume you aren't one of these! ;-)
The embassy has moved from the location specified in all the current guide books. GPS coordinates are N05º 36.308 W000º 12.008.
Overlanders without invitation letters must present a boatload of corroborating evidence. Take photocopies of all, or as much of the following as you have, to hand in with your visa application:
- Passport information page
- Ghana visa in passport
- Ghana entrance stamp in passport
- Medical insurance
- Yellow fever certificate
- Vehicle registration papers
- Vehicle insurance (most insurance purchased in West Africa covers several countries. If it expires prior to your entry to Nigeria just mention you will purchase further insurance when you get to Nigeria)
- International Drivers Licence (The one that is valid in Nigeria, as Nigeria requires one different to most of the rest of Africa)
- Front page of carnet (ie: vehicle information page)
- Ghana entrance stamp in carnet
We also needed 2 passport photos and US$86 for a 30 day single-entry visa. NB: You can only pay in US dollars!
Applications for visas are only received on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday mornings. Generally pick up between 2-3pm the following day.
Simple to get it in Nigeria (in Abuja).
Can't remember the exact cost and details, but here is the waypoint. N9 04 16.9 E7 29 23.1
If I recall correctly we spoke very
nicely and they gave us the visa the next day. Otherwise I think it's a 3 day wait... although not sure on that.
As a rule whenever applying for visas enroute we just took as much information as we could. We always have multiple photocopies of the following documents, and apart from the few stickler embassies (eg: Nigeria, see requirements above!), this plus visa fees in US dollars and some passport photos (generally 2 per visa) was enough to get the visa.
- yellow fever vaccination
- vehicle registration doc
- international driver's licence
Hope this helps.
OverAfrica - overland, over Africa
Overland camper for sale