Mozambique newsletter - news about Renamo, corruption, etc...
I have subscribed to the following newsletter, which i have found useful in the anticipation of crossing Mozambique and the current situation with Renamo.
If you subscribe, you will receive regular emails about what's happening in Mozambique from Joseph Hanlon, Open University, UK. Joseph posts latest news from Mozambique, which is not often taken up by other news agencies and publicised. [LIST][*]View previous emails tinyurl.com/mozamb[*]Subscribe tinyurl.com/sub-moz
Todays email (2nd June) was a little depressing: Back to war
Renamo attacked the first southbound convoy this morning on the main north-south road near Muxungue, Sofala, injuring five soldiers and two civilians. Later today (Monday), Renamo spokesman António Muchanga announced the end of Renamo's unilateral ceasefire, which had been in force since 7 May. (@Verdade, AIM 2 June; @Verdade Online
Renamo's action follows three attacks on government military convoys Thursday, Saturday and this morning in Gorongosa district. Renamo says that since its president Afonso Dhlakama registered as a voter on 8 May and declared the ceasefire, the government has stepped up its military action and attacked Renamo bases in Gorongosa. During the ceasefire, until this morning, there were no Renamo attacks on the N1 north-south road.
Muchanga told the press conference that despite the return to war, Renamo would participate in the elections, and is collecting the 10,000 signatures needed to nominate Dhlakama as a presidential candidate.
Renamo claims that the army wants to capture and kill Dhlakama, and that it has no choice but to respond militarily.