3 month trip through Southern and Eastern Africa
Hello fellow travellers!
My much better half and I are finally getting round to planning our next two big trips, so I thought I’d post the basic outline of them on the relevant sections of the HUBB, to discuss, deliberate and digress with other members. My wife and I are both 29, originally Dutch, but neither of us has lived in the Netherlands for any significant amount of time in the last two decades.
The first trip is planned for October-December 2011, and will consist of a 10 week trip through Southern and Eastern Africa.
- Pick up the car, a Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD, from my parents’ house in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Drive towards Livingstone, then into Botswana, towards Maun, to spend a couple of days in the Okavango Delta
- Drive towards Namibia along the Kalahari
- Head towards Luderitz and spend some time in the Namib-Naukluft and Sperrgebiet Parks
- Drive towards Cape Town, and then along the southern coast towards Mossel Bay and the Garden route.
- Spend some time in the Karoo.
- Drive towards Lesotho and Durban then into Mozambique
- Take our time to drive along the Mozambique coast
- Then either drive into Zimbabwe or towards Malawi
- And eventually drive back to Lusaka.
I’ve spent quite a few years living, working and travelling in West, East and Central Africa, but this is the first time that I’m taking a longer period of time to travel around my favourite continent. I’ve been to Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, and Malawi before, but never for more short trips of more than two weeks.
Therefore, I would really welcome any must-see/must-do recommendations based on the rough itinerary above. Also, if anyone is planning a trip that vaguely coincides with the timing and route of the above, it would be great to meet up for a drink!