Got in jail in Zambia about 8 months ago.
To make it short here is the story:
- with my friend I was crossing Africa with we were looking to visit Victoria Falls
- tourists can only pay the entry fee in US$
- we where short on US$
- we looked for a change office, all closed
- we changed some money on the black market (first mistake)
- among real US$ notes the guys gave us two fake ones (second mistake, I didn't check enough if all the notes looked real or not)
- when we realized we had fake notes the guys were gone (of course)
- when at Victoria falls entrance the guy giving ticket was not looking like a guy that pay too much attention to the notes he was given (second mistake we made)
- we gave it a try thinking "if he realize it's fake notes he'll keep it and that will be all" (third mistake)
- when we gave it to him we saw he had a fake note detector, oops! Of course the alarm of the machine went on when he inserted our note. Oops!
- he went mad, called a cop near by, called the manager of Victoria falls
- 1 hour later 2 police men arrived (in a taxi) to arrest us and put us in jail (funny things, not enough space in the taxi, we had to follow them to the jail on our bikes). Another funny things, they left us visit the falls before going to fail, thank you guys!
- after a day in jail they released us but kept our passports. We were "lucky" we did the exchange in front of a closed bank with CCTV. We where not expecting any of these cameras to be working but it was a miracle, CCTV was actually recording! So they saw the faces of the guys that gave us the fake notes.
- after 4 days we got our passports back and left the country
Don't do the same mistake, don't be an idiot!
At least they sent us in jail with our cameras. So we have a souvenir