Safe drinking water
If you disinfect you water using chemical treatments, then remember this mantra - “Water bottles are for water only, and always flood the threads”.
Water bottles are for water only...
The taste of both chlorine and iodine can be removed by neutralising the chemical, after it has had time to work, with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) - effervescent vitamin C tablets, or lemon juice is ideal. It should be noted that all neutralising and fruit drinks (many of which are fortified with vitamin C) should be mixed in a cup, as residual ascorbic acid in a water bottle will stop all future disinfectant actions.
And always flood the threads...
Once you have filled your water bottle and added your chemical treatment, remember that the water on the outside of the neck of the bottle could still be contaminated. To fix this problem, simply screw on the lid, invert the bottle, and carefully unscrew the top until water begins to drip through – now you now know that the screw-threads of both the lid and the neck of the bottle have been chemically treated too.
Hope that helps some of you