Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Southern Asia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/)
-   -   No Iran Visa - Alternative Route – Turkey to India (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/no-iran-visa-alternative-route-52482)

Mart456 4 Sep 2010 09:01

No Iran Visa - Alternative Route – Turkey to India
 
Hi We are currently in Turkey, and are trying to figure out the best route to India, I have been denied a visa 3 times for Iran, so will have to go round,

1) Georgia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, India
Or
2) Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia (not sure we would even get a visa) Oman then ship to India
Has anyone tried these routes or could recommend another ?


Many thanks

Martin

Omie 4 Sep 2010 16:30

Another visa
 
Hi Martin,
There is no working border between Tajikistan and Pakistan. You will have to go to China first and then cross the Khanjerab Pass to enter Pakistan.
It would be a bit longer but wonderful.

pecha72 4 Sep 2010 18:16

Sad to hear about politics messing up with travellers plans.

1) I´m no expert, but I think it is either Afganistan or China that you´d first need to get into. And also I´m not sure Tajikistan has international crossings with China (others will probably be able to give better information on this). Also the Karakoram Highway goes through a very high mountain area, so it´s not a year-round route.

2) This might be a complicated route (but entering Egypt won´t be necessary I think), I´d advice to do some research on Saudi-Arabia, there you may also find some big obstacles with visas and permits. Doesnt seem to be a very common route (compared to Iran anyway). And do not expect to find many ferries between the Arabian peninsula and India, at least 3 years ago there weren´t any.

MEZ 5 Sep 2010 11:31

Iran visa
 
Hi Martin, I read with interest here on Your refusal for a visa into Iran, I am one of a four strong group intending to travel to India next Sept and havnt started to apply for visa's yet. Was You given an answer as to why You were refused..?? We are a few months off applying for our many visa's but would appreciate uptodate info with regard to Our intended route. Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, the most obvious route really. All advise and info welcomed..!!

Good luck Martin, and keep posting.

Mez

TimDRichards 5 Sep 2010 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart456 (Post 304163)
Hi We are currently in Turkey, and are trying to figure out the best route to India, I have been denied a visa 3 times for Iran, so will have to go round,

1) Georgia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, India
Or
2) Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia (not sure we would even get a visa) Oman then ship to India
Has anyone tried these routes or could recommend another ?


Many thanks

Martin

Syria needs a visa should be easy. but Saudi is ni on impossible. took me weeks and medicals spaecial applications route identifying, list of hostels, membership of youth hostel ( I am 60) and then inshallah 4-5 weeks.
best option to have bilkes trucked thru and fly to Abu dhabi and pick up in UAE cost 600-1000usd

beddhist 6 Sep 2010 00:25

The Khunjerab Pass is probably not an option right now. The KKH has been impassable since a landslide earlier this year and I don't think the current flood disaster has made things any better. To cross China you need a guide/organised tour.

My advice: fly from Turkey to either Kathmandu or Dhacca.

Mart456 6 Sep 2010 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEZ (Post 304260)
Hi Martin, I read with interest here on Your refusal for a visa into Iran, I am one of a four strong group intending to travel to India next Sept and havnt started to apply for visa's yet. Was You given an answer as to why You were refused..?? We are a few months off applying for our many visa's but would appreciate uptodate info with regard to Our intended route. Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, the most obvious route really. All advise and info welcomed..!!

Good luck Martin, and keep posting.

Mez

Hi, no I have not been given a reason, both myself and my GF, applied at the same time she got hers, i did not get mine (i had been to Iran before in 2003, not sure if this had anything to do with), I have now applied three times with no luck, and have been told i have to wait two months before applying again which we just can not do. I will try again maybe in Ankara for a Transit Visa, if no luck then i will be travelling around.

Thekensportler 6 Sep 2010 13:33

hey Mart456
 
i applied last year in ankara without any problems. i had no invitation but i needed a letter of recommendation from my embassy. definitely, you should try it in ankara again. good luck and greets from nepal

bernhard


bernhards.reiseblog

nicolasrapp 6 Sep 2010 14:10

From Oman you will need to ship your bike to India in a container. Same thing from Dubai but there's a little bit more traffic, and if you don't mind spending time on a dhow, you should be able to board with your bikes.

Omie 7 Sep 2010 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by beddhist (Post 304335)
The Khunjerab Pass is probably not an option right now. The KKH has been impassable since a landslide earlier this year and I don't think the current flood disaster has made things any better. To cross China you need a guide/organised tour.

My advice: fly from Turkey to either Kathmandu or Dhacca.

Let me correct, KKH is open for traffic and people are going both ways. Its a bit challenging though but not much for bikers.

Mart456 11 Sep 2010 09:39

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, we have decided to go north round Iran:

Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China then Pakistan

We are arranging a guide for Turkmenistan (second Week Oct) & China start of Nov).

If any one is interested in sharing the guide for Turkmenistan or China please let me know as we are finalising the prep next week,

Martin

Sirakor 11 Sep 2010 11:54

Bear in mind that guides for both Turkmenistan and China will be very expensive. For Turkmenistan there is an alternative however, ie crossing on a transit visa. The downside is that it's valid for only 4-5 days (but can be extended in Ashgabat), and that it's bound to fixed dates, so you need to be on time. On the plus side it's a LOT cheaper, and you have some sort of freedom ...

Omie 12 Sep 2010 12:18

Cold in November
 
Mart,
November can be cold on the upper parts of KKH specially between Khanjerab Pass and Sost. Carry good jackets.
Omar

ar_esquire 2 Oct 2010 16:11

Passage into india
 
Cant u go thru turkmenistan, kryghztan,china(down to Lhasa then onto india via sikkim or onto Katmandu)?

afr81 31 Oct 2012 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolasrapp (Post 304390)
From Oman you will need to ship your bike to India in a container. Same thing from Dubai but there's a little bit more traffic, and if you don't mind spending time on a dhow, you should be able to board with your bikes.

Hi,

we are looking into the possibility of shipping our small motorbike from Oman to India. If we could go with it as well that could even be better. You mentioned being on a dhow...was this a serious consideration ;) if so did you do it yourself, or know someone who has?

thanks!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13.


vB.Sponsors