Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Southern Asia

Southern Asia Topics specific to Southern Asia, from Iran and Armenia east through Pakistan and India to China / Vietnam / Indonesia.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Motorcycle travel in Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, India...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 8 Oct 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 45
Milan to Delhi overland on a harley+ Bmw: we made it

Hi guys,
take chanche to thanks all of you gave me some precious info in the past to set up this successful overland journey from Milan to India.
We made it: it was me on a Harley Davidson Roadking '98 and Arrigo on a brand new BMW f850GS.
17 days travel:
ferry from Italy to Turkey,
TURKEY (Cesme, Konya, Malatya, Dogubaizit),
IRAN (Zanjan, Tehran, Esfahan, Shiraz, Bam, Mirjaveh),
PAKISTAN (Taftan, Quetta, Zhob, somewhere near DeraIsmailKhan, Lahore), INDIA (Amritsar, Pipli, Delhi).

State of roads: Turkey and Iran=excellent, Pakistan = excellent from taftan to Dalbandin, then a nightmare until Multan/Dera Ismail Khan (all mountain part in Paki, is almost terrible). Good again in the Hindo valley, but terribly busy: nightmare again. INDIA= total nightmare either as tarmac and especially for killer traffic.
Only enduro motorbike may do it: my harley is a particular case...

Escorts:
IRAN: from BAM to paki border: escorts on cars will make lose you lotta time. they keep your passports.
Pakistan: taftan - quetta: old soldiers with Kalasnikov will ride with you on the bikes until Nouski. Then on, police cars/pickup will follow you.
Road from Quetta to Zhob - DeraIsmail Khan, and road from Quetta to Multan: only check points (but will stop you all the time, making you loss plenty of time).
From Multan to east, no more escort nor check points.

Nortwestern Province Frontier (Zhob-DeraIsmail Khan): AVOID THIS ROAD. Police will stop you 200km after Zhob, danger of Talibans. Be careful. We convinced police to let us go just because one of our motorcycle (the BMW!!!) was dead and loaded on a pick-up driven by a paki people. We crossed tribal zone very fast (!!!) avoiding any stop....

People/police:
all very very kind and helpful (we slept at paki houses some times, police help us with battery and mechanical problems). Kind athmosphere everywhere. No danger feeling never but the Zhob Dera Ism Khan stretch.

Borders
Turkey-Iran: keep facilitator (suggested). 2 hours +half. Small tip to the man
Iran-Paki: beware, it closes at 14:00 PM !!! Not more than 2 hours.
Paki-India: opens 9.30. Almost desert but took 3 hours due to black out in paki zone (guess it!!).

Motorbike Shipping Agent in Delhi
We used the famous lalli Singh (lalli singh.com).
He seems really professional, but he will need two days of your time to prepare docs and take measures for cases and so on. Yopu have to be present. A nightmare...
We will tell you when bikes will arrive home....

Open to answer to all questions
bye

roberto parodi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9 Oct 2009
dnicoletti's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: milan, italy
Posts: 152
good to hear you back, safe and satisfied. so it was a good trial to you as it sounds. it seems india became crowded of Big Twins in the last years...
i'm glad you choose lalli sing to ship the bike back. i had a good deal with him in the past. kindly, fine, cheap as for me. and you? how much did you spent
to manage the whole process? did you already got a deal with an italian shipping agent before leaving, or you'll wait the crate arriving at the harbour, then ring for it?

i'm so curious....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9 Oct 2009
Caminando's Avatar
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DogZone Country
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomboliere View Post
Hi guys,
take chanche to thanks all of you gave me some precious info in the past to set up this successful overland journey from Milan to India.
We made it: it was me on a Harley Davidson Roadking '98 and Arrigo on a brand new BMW f850GS.
17 days travel:
ferry from Italy to Turkey,
TURKEY (Cesme, Konya, Malatya, Dogubaizit),
IRAN (Zanjan, Tehran, Esfahan, Shiraz, Bam, Mirjaveh),
PAKISTAN (Taftan, Quetta, Zhob, somewhere near DeraIsmailKhan, Lahore), INDIA (Amritsar, Pipli, Delhi).

State of roads: Turkey and Iran=excellent, Pakistan = excellent from taftan to Dalbandin, then a nightmare until Multan/Dera Ismail Khan (all mountain part in Paki, is almost terrible). Good again in the Hindo valley, but terribly busy: nightmare again. INDIA= total nightmare either as tarmac and especially for killer traffic.
Only enduro motorbike may do it: my harley is a particular case...

Escorts:
IRAN: from BAM to paki border: escorts on cars will make lose you lotta time. they keep your passports.
Pakistan: taftan - quetta: old soldiers with Kalasnikov will ride with you on the bikes until Nouski. Then on, police cars/pickup will follow you.
Road from Quetta to Zhob - DeraIsmail Khan, and road from Quetta to Multan: only check points (but will stop you all the time, making you loss plenty of time).
From Multan to east, no more escort nor check points.

Nortwestern Province Frontier (Zhob-DeraIsmail Khan): AVOID THIS ROAD. Police will stop you 200km after Zhob, danger of Talibans. Be careful. We convinced police to let us go just because one of our motorcycle (the BMW!!!) was dead and loaded on a pick-up driven by a paki people. We crossed tribal zone very fast (!!!) avoiding any stop....

People/police:
all very very kind and helpful (we slept at paki houses some times, police help us with battery and mechanical problems). Kind athmosphere everywhere. No danger feeling never but the Zhob Dera Ism Khan stretch.

Borders
Turkey-Iran: keep facilitator (suggested). 2 hours +half. Small tip to the man
Iran-Paki: beware, it closes at 14:00 PM !!! Not more than 2 hours.
Paki-India: opens 9.30. Almost desert but took 3 hours due to black out in paki zone (guess it!!).

Motorbike Shipping Agent in Delhi
We used the famous lalli Singh (lalli singh.com).
He seems really professional, but he will need two days of your time to prepare docs and take measures for cases and so on. Yopu have to be present. A nightmare...
We will tell you when bikes will arrive home....

Open to answer to all questions
bye

roberto parodi
Well done Roberto. A great trip. The people of India are great, but you have my admiration for riding on Indian roads. And surviving.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9 Oct 2009
CTB CTB is offline
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB Cnd
Posts: 69
On a King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminando View Post
Well done Roberto. A great trip. The people of India are great, but you have my admiration for riding on Indian roads. And surviving.
But on a Roadking - how did the bike fair?? I own one and I can't imagine that it stood up to well on rough roads. I've also ridden in India but I can't image doing it on a FLHR
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10 Oct 2009
dnicoletti's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: milan, italy
Posts: 152
lot of patience and attention to avoid anything is moving on the road. no high speed, just eyes wide open. a bit stressing but it works, as i have done two years ago. concernig riding an harley on rough roads: if you're "fool" enough just like me or peter forwood for example, you can also ride through the himalaya on a big twin, like the srinagar-leh-manali route as i did.

www.lungastrada.it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10 Oct 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Posts: 256
On most of mountain roads in the subcontinent weight of the motorcycle is a big liability. The roads are not well maintained making heavy bikes prone to slipping and difficult to handle. With my experience I feel light, power packed 2 strokes are the best. My personal favorite is old restored Kawasaki KE175.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12 Oct 2009
Knight of the Holy Graal's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mantova, Italy
Posts: 549
Hi, Roberto, and welcome back to Italy. Glad to know you made it safely.

I had the chance to follow your journey on your personal website, it's like to be astride your Road King with you...
Hope you'll write another book as awesome as the one I read last winter.

(We already met once, at the gathering against the f-cking new laws against Euro 0 motorcycles in Milan way back november 2006. But maybe you don't remember me).
We'll have more chances to hook up again in the future.


Ride safe, bro!

Greetings from Mantova.
__________________
Nick and his 2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13 Oct 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Holy Graal View Post
Hi, Roberto, and welcome back to Italy. Glad to know you made it safely.

I had the chance to follow your journey on your personal website, it's like to be astride your Road King with you...
Hope you'll write another book as awesome as the one I read last winter.

(We already met once, at the gathering against the f-cking new laws against Euro 0 motorcycles in Milan way back november 2006. But maybe you don't remember me).
We'll have more chances to hook up again in the future.


Ride safe, bro!

Greetings from Mantova.
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13 Oct 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omie View Post
On most of mountain roads in the subcontinent weight of the motorcycle is a big liability. The roads are not well maintained making heavy bikes prone to slipping and difficult to handle. With my experience I feel light, power packed 2 strokes are the best. My personal favorite is old restored Kawasaki KE175.
I agree 100% with you: light is better, but I have a Harley and I ride what I own.
Road King (mine was made a little lighter, by taking away unuseful optionals), is certainly heavy but has big power at a very low RPM, which is good. I have always used this big motorbike for hard performances, also for climbing on the Assekrem, 3000 metres tall mountain, in the center of Sahara, in Algeria, and I have to say that it worked very well.
Obviously I cannot keep high speed average like an enduro, but this is not the way of riding "overland style" is'nt it? I enjoy the view and take my time.
I confess I have dreamed to ride the F800GS BMW of my friend many times in this trip. But at the end, the bike that broke, was not my harley.... )))
Thanks
bye
roberto
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15 Oct 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: U.K.
Posts: 19
Glad to hear you are back home safe and sound and the harley made it.

Nice to hear that you did it in such a short period of time, this bodes well for me trying to get to China to meet up with my fiance who is hoping to visit her sister next year.

Simon
__________________
simonp
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 Oct 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomboliere View Post
I agree 100% with you: light is better, but I have a Harley and I ride what I own.
Road King (mine was made a little lighter, by taking away unuseful optionals), is certainly heavy but has big power at a very low RPM, which is good. I have always used this big motorbike for hard performances, also for climbing on the Assekrem, 3000 metres tall mountain, in the center of Sahara, in Algeria, and I have to say that it worked very well.
Obviously I cannot keep high speed average like an enduro, but this is not the way of riding "overland style" is'nt it? I enjoy the view and take my time.
I confess I have dreamed to ride the F800GS BMW of my friend many times in this trip. But at the end, the bike that broke, was not my harley.... )))
Thanks
bye
roberto
I totally agree with you Roberto that we should ride the bike which gives us the most pleasure. There is certainly a very special charm associated with the Big Hog.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready to go: Milan - New Delhi on motorcycle bomboliere Southern Asia 2 12 Sep 2009 14:59
Milan: Campsites nearby and Vespa rental. tommysmithfromleeds Europe 3 4 Mar 2009 20:49
milan show romeo Which Bike? 0 11 Nov 2007 01:05
BMW service in Milan Story Leavesley Europe 0 7 Aug 2004 17:56
2 x roayl enfield for sale (india) delhi or north of delhi u nipntuk TRAVEL Bikes for Sale / Wanted 1 11 Jun 2004 00:14

 
 



Renedian Adventures

HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:05.