Driving in Iran - June 2009
Thought I'd put an update regarding driving in Iran, given the experience we have had.
We came in through Turkey at the Northern border crossing, coming into Maku.
1. Carnet. It was chaos in customs, but you soon get ushered around, and someone signs the carnet.
2. Money. Don't change any money at the border if you can avoid it. We had to and got ripped off.
3. Passport. Make sure you have plenty of copies of your passport AND your visas.
4. Fuel card. We fought hard to get this at the border, and eventually got it free. We just kept shoulding diesel card, and this did the trick, but it took about an hour.
5. Diesel is almost free. It cost up $2 for 75 litres! Usually the attendants keep the change, but it is so cheap, who cares. You must look for garages with trcks queueing if you want diesel. You will usually be ushered to the front of the queue.
6. Insurance.We forgot to get this at the border, but got it in Tabriz. for a couple of dollar tip the gus in tourist information will help you with this. It cot us £20 for a month.
7. The guys at tourist information said don't worry about picking up Iranian plates, so we haven't.
The driving in Tabriz, Esfahan and Tehran is crazy. It can be fun if you dont mind a dent!
Think thats it, email me if you have any questions.