Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Southern Asia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/)
-   -   buying a bike in Vietnam (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/buying-a-bike-in-vietnam-18939)

Mingh 20 Oct 2005 15:10

buying a bike in Vietnam
Does one need a bike driving license in Vietnam? Or India?
We're travelling for a year now and want to be more independent from the public transport, and seek more freedom and adventure. I don't need to convince anyone on this forum that a bike is a great way to do so. Only trouble is, i've only ridden dirt bikes and have no license.

Sounds like a stupid question, but In mongolia, all you have to do is get some stamps on some forms an leave some money.

[This message has been edited by Mingh (edited 20 October 2005).]

Simon Kennedy 20 Oct 2005 19:29

Of course - you need a licence everywhere. But outside the rich world these rules are not enforced.

No Vietnamese cop will even be able to read it. Make one for yourself in an internet cafe, if it makes you feel better.

In India it might be an issue in an accident though, and if it is a serious one, they probably would use the absence of a licence as leverage against you.

What nationality are you Mingh? If you have some sort of licence from your home country, it will probably suffice.


Mingh 20 Oct 2005 22:25

Thanks for your help Simon.
I'm belgian, and I've an international driver's license on me (for cars that is)
The fake one is not of my worries. The reasons why I asked is more towards insurance,should I need assistance of some sort. I've a travel insurance covering 'a vehicle'. Which is great if you've the license, or can obtain one easily, like in mongolia.


vincent danna 20 Oct 2005 23:14

a friend (half french, half vietnamese) is now in vietnam for a few months. he s been riding around the world for 25 years. before vietnam he was in china with a bike he bought there. in vietnam, he is about to buy or import a big bike and has some info about it. officially, it s difficult, but ...
his name : fred.
you can contact him directly at : fredtranduc at yahoo dot com
hope it helps,

Simon Kennedy 20 Oct 2005 23:47

Hmmm, I never thought of that angle. You are talking about home country insurance yes? Medical "fly me home if I break my leg" type of insurance?

That might be a problem if they want to get really nasty: "What, Mr. Mingh, were you doing riding a vehicle for which you were not qualified?". Western insurance companies could use that one to get out of their side of the deal, yes.

You'll have to think about that one. I haven't any suggestions. Although perhaps, if it came to a push, "I did my test and passed in Mongolia, and here is the documentation", might help a bit.

On another point, make sure you read the small print regarding vehicles. Even if they allow you on a motorcycle, there may be a restriction on the size of the machine. This was the case for me. I had to pay extra to get me up to 600cc.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:06.