Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Southern Asia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/)
-   -   American going to Laos. Do I need international license or permit to ride in Laos? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/american-going-laos-do-i-45465)

superskye 22 Sep 2009 17:14

American going to Laos. Do I need international license or permit to ride in Laos?

My wife and I are probably going to be visiting her family in Vientiane in January. I am getting confusing information from searches trying to see what I need. Some say a permit and some say license. And that is as a DRIVER. What do I need? I will be renting a 2 wheel vehicle while there. Any help is appreciated. Including links if you have any.

Also, if anyone is going to be there and wants to hang out with us while we are taken around to all the sights, we would be happy to have somone to share the "family smothering" with. If we go we will be there Dec 27ish to Jan 3ish.

ilesmark 22 Sep 2009 18:18

Laos is pretty laid back in general, but the theory is that yes, you DO need an International Drivers Licence (aka International Drivers Permit).

International Driving Permit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly when I entered Laos with my Landcruiser, I had to show it when I was given the customs import clearance paperwork.

It's not difficult to get, doesn't cost a vast amount of money, and it works in lots of countries anyway, so no harm in having it.

motoreiter 22 Sep 2009 19:31

I rode in Laos in January. I had an int'l permit so brought it with me, but was never stopped or asked for any documents.

as mentioned in a previous post, they're easy to get ($10 at AAA), so why not pick one up and bring with?

frinch11 22 Sep 2009 21:49

Lots of good info here:

Motorcycle Touring & Maps: Thailand : Laos : Golden Triangle

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02.