Message from Yves L, desert-info.org
We can finally announce the distribution of your generous donations regarding last year’s kidnappings in Algeria. Many things took more time than expected: the careful clarification of the use of the money, considering the advice offered and the co-ordination
between the administrators. The confused information which prevailed during the kidnapping unfortunately persisted and the distribution of the funds did not accord with formal accounting procedures.
It was a wish, not only by some of the ex-hostages, to donate part of the money collected to a local, charity project in the area involved near the kidnapping.
We are conscious that we cannot meet all desires. The quadrature of the circle [quartering/account of the total?] was requested but unfortunately is not possible in this case. We are however convinced that our decision will be accepted by the majority of the donors.
The use below applies only to the following accounts:
o Moto Event route in Besigheim Boennigheim
o Sahara Info.ch, Alosen Switzerland.
These accounts include the collections from Austria (George Zenz) and the
international collection (Chris Scott, Sahara Overland).
The accounts of the Dutch collection and the collection of Martin Hainz
(father of one of the-hostages) have already been distributed.
1. Mr. Ahmed Zegri, Agence Mezrirene, Illizi:
Search activity from 8.3.03 until 15.5.03: 1282EUR, total 8'282 EUR (7000
EUR from the Hainz/Schäfer account).
2. Indemnisation for stolen food in Algeria by the kidnappers (several
100kg): 500 EUR
3. A private search in the Illizi region, ordered by Swiss relatives of
the hostages on 15. and 16.3.03 with 2 vehicles: 43.200'00 DA (= 501EUR
incl. Western Union money transfer).
4. Desert Runner (Peter Schreck) for his activities from 11.3.03 until
19.3.03 : 2000 EUR for travel Toggourt-Illizi and back, leased 4x4 and phone
5. Search mission with several persons and 4x4 in Algeria, organised by Mrs. Bleckmann, Salzburg.Mission from 12.4.03 until 13.5.03: 8282 EUR.
6. It was also a wish by some of the ex-hostages to use a part of the money collected as donation to a local, charity project. Our investigations are not finished yet, there are two candidates, and we will inform about the project chosen later. 4000EUR had
been reserved for this purpose.
7. Remark: The town of Ausburg, Germany helped to initiate an account
for donations to the children of Mrs. Spitzer, who died during the kidnapping.
Many private people and also companies worked generously without requesting
expenses, thank you!
Unfortunately, the costs for the mission Bleckmann and Mr. Zegri could only
be replaced partially, the same applies for the expenses of Mr. Schreck.
We will await a delay of 10 days before distribution of the money.
The administrators: Wolfgang Auch, Yves Larboulette, Daniela Maack
Note from CS:
The ‘international fund’ via sahara-overland.com managed to raise nearly £1000 in less than a couple of weeks (including payments prised from various newspapers for contributions). Many thanks for your generous contributions and a special thanks to Yves’s hard work. His sahara-info.ch website bore the brunt of the Internet activity and speculation.
The fact that fellow Saharans both at home and in Algeria got on the case with a search as soon as the alarm was raised (and long before the local authorities and media got involved) is something to be proud of.
Author of Sahara Overland and the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, among other things