Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Sahara Travel Forum (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/)
-   -   Carnet for Egypt for UK Land Rover (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/carnet-egypt-uk-land-rover-52950)

WarthogARJ 28 Sep 2010 17:09

Carnet for Egypt for UK Land Rover
Hi guls and gals,
A friend of mine has a UK registered 4x4 with value GBP 9k I believe. Wants to go thru Egypt. Has been told that the carnet will require a deposit of 8 times the value of the vehicle (thru the AA). Seems huge. Or else can buy "insurance" via AA, but costs GBP 7200 of which only GBP 3600 is refunded.

Is this correct?

If so, is there another way for a UK vehicle thru Egypt?


robinhelen 28 Sep 2010 17:33

Yes that is the case, we have just done it with the RAC, but only with a £1200 bike

eightpot 28 Sep 2010 18:35

The 'other' way I guess would be to just pay the 800% tax to the Egyptian authorities when he arrives, then get it returned on leaving.
not very practical :thumbdown:

It is possible to get a carnet using a bank bond rather than the insurance - they will need to get a letter of guarantee from thier bank which proves they have the capital available to cover the costs - good luck trying to get through to the right department of any major bank who knows what you're on about, but people have done it this way. Best bet it to chat with Paul McGowan at RAC and he can advise.
The simplest option is to use a cheaper car - it doesn't have to be an old nail, they are only interested in the 'book' price of the standard model (accessories etc dont count), so my fully refurbished old Range rover classic was listed at thier minimum allowable rate of 1000 quid which made it cheap as chips. :thumbup1:

Trumpton 28 Sep 2010 19:04

Ditto that,
Paul Gowan at the RAC who issues the carnets is very helpful, remember the value can be based on the cheapest old wreck of a car of the same age, no accessories / modifications etc.

grizzly7 28 Sep 2010 21:03

Since you mention the AA not the RAC, your friend is not in the UK?

Only the RAC in the UK at least deal with Carnets, and Paul Gowan is the man. 800% of the value you agree with the RAC is correct though. The AA may do it in other countries.

Trumpton 28 Sep 2010 21:57

The original poster does say a UK vehicle,and as far as I know if its a UK registered vehicle, the RAC are the only people who can issue it,

I tried (unsucessfilly) a couple of years ago to use other (european) motoring organisations for my uk registered car

WarthogARJ 1 Oct 2010 19:24

Thanks very much for the feedback: I'll pass onto my buddy.
And yes, it is the RAC he asked, since it is a UK registered car.
Altho he's a South African.

The carnet rules change a lot it seems.
I registered a Dutch bike, but thru the German AA, since Holland doesn't do carnets.
And it was very cheasp.
I paid a Euro 3k deposit for a bike of value Euro 14k.
And carnet was valid globally.

Germans are great!!!

mark manley 1 Oct 2010 21:42

I think UK registered vehicles can get an ADAC carnet from those great German chappies, it is worth a try.

Roman 1 Oct 2010 22:52


Originally Posted by mark manley (Post 307460)
I think UK registered vehicles can get an ADAC carnet from those great German chappies, it is worth a try.

No, it'snt because they can't.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41.