Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Route Planning (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/route-planning/)
-   -   Georgia 2012 (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/route-planning/georgia-2012-a-61142)

Revenue 7 Jan 2012 11:05

Georgia 2012
 
I will be passing through Georgia from Turkey then into Russia in August 2012, has any one any recomendations for places to ride/ things to see on my short visit. Have seen a few mountain passes on the map from Akhalkalaki to Bordzhomi area.
I will be spending one night in Batumi and 2 nights in Tbilisi, any ideas will be great.


Eric

Fantastic Mister Fox 7 Jan 2012 11:15

The russian georgia border is closed I believe?? Or is it open now??

Revenue 8 Jan 2012 03:58

No the border opened May/June 2011 again! or should i say that way i have been told, going to ride to the border anyway if turned away will head back to Trabzon and take the ferry to Russia. Been looking and the ride from Tbilisi to the Russian border looks amazing.

Knight of the Holy Graal 10 Jan 2012 13:26

I visited both Georgia and Armenia in August 2010.

Tbilisi is a nice city that I enjoyed a lot: nice monuments, ancient churches, a lovely downtown and an outstanding view from the fortress on top of the town.
Restaurants are very good and food is delicious.

Don't miss the Georgian Military Highway from Tbilisi to Kazbegi and spend at least a full day at Kazbegi (a few km from the Russian border) to visit the Tsminda Sameba, one of the most important Georgian monasteries.
On this road, you will also find the Ananuri Fortress on the way to Kazbegi: it deserves at least a 1-hour stop.

Revenue 11 Jan 2012 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight of the Holy Graal (Post 362475)
I visited both Georgia and Armenia in August 2010.

Tbilisi is a nice city that I enjoyed a lot: nice monuments, ancient churches, a lovely downtown and an outstanding view from the fortress on top of the town.
Restaurants are very good and food is delicious.

Don't miss the Georgian Military Highway from Tbilisi to Kazbegi and spend at least a full day at Kazbegi (a few km from the Russian border) to visit the Tsminda Sameba, one of the most important Georgian monasteries.
On this road, you will also find the Ananuri Fortress on the way to Kazbegi: it deserves at least a 1-hour stop.

Thanks for the information, I agree 1 day less Europe and 1 more day in Georgia, first day Batumi, 2 days Tbilisi and 1 day Kazbegi then easy to the border with Russia, then if a problem should be able to ride out of Georgia in the day and back to Trabzon to take the ferry to Russia.
Really want to ride the Georgia Military highway even if i am sent back not to bothered just means i will get chance to ride it twice!!!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Kotya 14 Jan 2012 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revenue (Post 362175)
No the border opened May/June 2011 again!

It's open for former USSR citizens only (except Baltic countries). Other nationalities can't cross it. My freind from Finland was not allowed to cross that border at May'11.
Alternative option to Trabzon-Sochi ferry is ferryboat from Poti to Odessa. Also I saw ferry from Georgia to Kerch (Crimea) at summer 2011.

ilpo 14 Jan 2012 16:39

No, wrong information. Border is now open for all citizens. There are many reports from last summer people crossing it both ways.

Only issue there is still if trying to go via Abkhazia, that will not work.

Revenue 19 Jan 2012 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilpo (Post 363137)
No, wrong information. Border is now open for all citizens. There are many reports from last summer people crossing it both ways.

Only issue there is still if trying to go via Abkhazia, that will not work.

Thanks ilpo
I feel you have the right answer for the present time that the border is open to everyone, just hope it stays that way until the end August.

Eric:thumbup1:

geordie_e 19 Jan 2012 22:30

This is good news

Can you list the best border crossing points as we are hoping to head out that way in May

Cheers
Geordie aka Will

ilpo 20 Jan 2012 06:57

Borders I did last summer:
- Sadakhlo/Bagratashen with Armenia, fast and no issues
- Ninotsminda/Bavra with Armenia, very fast, only issue I had was the payment. Had to walk across border to the bank some 200m and back
- Krasny Most (Red Bridge) with Azerbaijan, very confusing border, had help from some guys that knew German to get me through the border
- Tsodna (Postbina/Lagodekhi/Balakon) with Azerbaijan, extremely fast, almost drove through
- Sarpi/Sarp with Turkey, some queue but still quite fast. Went both ways. On Turkey side no fuel station in kilometers, first ones just after the crossing on Georgia side. Visa cards work on bigger stations in Georgia.

Border between Georgia and Russia I did not try, information that it was already open came a bit too late for me and my plan was to go through Abkhazia anyway...

For the Abkhazia border, see these two: Ilpo Juvander > Home - Caucasus Tour–Day #26 and Ilpo Juvander > Home - Caucasus Tour–Day #27

geordie_e 20 Jan 2012 08:31

Thanks for the information

but there is still no confirmation that Georgia/Russia border is open to UK citizens.....

Hopefully someone will confirm in the future

Cheers
Geordie aka Will

Revenue 26 Jan 2012 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie_e (Post 363891)
Thanks for the information

but there is still no confirmation that Georgia/Russia border is open to UK citizens.....

Hopefully someone will confirm in the future

Cheers
Geordie aka Will

Well Georgie
Looks like you will be the GUINEA PIG as you are leaving before us, just keep us posted, still want to ride the road to the border as the scenery is awesome.

Eric

geordie_e 26 Jan 2012 09:20

I think we will try this route, unless time is a problem

Cheers
Geordie aka Will

pro3ac 26 Jan 2012 13:05

Hi there.
We are going to travel through Georgia next Summer too ! Our journey will be from Basel (Switzerland) > Austria > Hungary > Romania > Moldova > Ukraine > Russia > GEORGIA > Turkey > Greeze > Albania > Montenegro > Kroatia > and then back home to Basel!
We will cross the border to Georgia on the military Highway (I hope). Due to our research the borders are open to anyone since last summer !
here is a pic of our route in Georgia.
I'm new here, and I'm pretty much just trying out how to answer posts and upload pictures. :) I hope this will work and it might still be interesting for you to see what we have planed for Georgia.

Greetings from Switzerland.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5721/georgiaa.jpg

Hemuli 26 Jan 2012 13:17

Pro3ac, when are you planning to be in Georgia?
I should be in that area late July, early August. Planning to visit also Armenia and Azerbaijan.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21.


vB.Sponsors