Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Ride Tales (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/)
-   -   canada to brazil on 2 KLR650s (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/canada-to-brazil-2-klr650s-65738)

themattandatleyshow 12 Aug 2012 18:32

canada to brazil on 2 KLR650s
 
hey guys

we are two aussie guys, riding loaded up KLR650s from Alberta Canada, through central america, down the west coast of south america, and back up the east coast of south america.

we are about 6 weeks into the trip. we have 12 months in total available for us to travel.

life on the road has been fantastic so far, with 8000km or so travel through canada and usa.

have a read of our blog!

Riding the Americas

matt and atley

Paulo Assis 13 Aug 2012 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by themattandatleyshow (Post 389018)
hey guys

we are two aussie guys, riding loaded up KLR650s from Alberta Canada, through central america, down the west coast of south america, and back up the east coast of south america.

we are about 6 weeks into the trip. we have 12 months in total available for us to travel.

life on the road has been fantastic so far, with 8000km or so travel through canada and usa.

have a read of our blog!

Riding the Americas

matt and atley

Hi guys.

Be welcome to Brasil!
(in portuguese we write with "s", instead of "z".)

Our country's name is originary from a wood used to extract a dye to paint clothes and textiles in red at the beggining of age of discoveries.

it is a reddish wood of certain tropical trees or shrubs in the pea family, especially a Brazilian tree "Caesalpinia echinata", whose wood is used for violin bows and as a source of a red or purplish dye.

That's a long trip, for sure. a lot of time. but only one day per day. :)

If I may help somehow.... I live in São Paulo, southeastern brasil.
As people use to say in spanish:
Suerte!

see you later!
:mchappy:

Paulo

themattandatleyshow 13 Aug 2012 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Assis (Post 389039)
Hi guys.

Be welcome to Brasil!
(in portuguese we write with "s", instead of "z".)

Our country's name is originary from a wood used to extract a dye to paint clothes and textiles in red at the beggining of age of discoveries.

it is a reddish wood of certain tropical trees or shrubs in the pea family, especially a Brazilian tree "Caesalpinia echinata", whose wood is used for violin bows and as a source of a red or purplish dye.

That's a long trip, for sure. a lot of time. but only one day per day. :)

If I may help somehow.... I live in São Paulo, southeastern brasil.
As people use to say in spanish:
Suerte!

see you later!
:mchappy:

Paulo


Muchos gracias Paulo! Indeed we have a very long way to travel before we will be in your part of the world, but it's very kind of you to offer your help! I hope you follow our blog and our adventure!
Matt

themattandatleyshow 22 Aug 2012 15:53

Salt Lake to LA
 
New post is out, from Salt Lake City to LA :)

Matt

Riding the Americas

themattandatleyshow 7 Sep 2012 03:52

Hola from Baja Mexico,

Life is great, 2 months into our 12 month trip.

We just did a new blog post for our travels from LA to central Baja, check it out.

Cheers

DUAL SPORTING

:palm:

themattandatleyshow 29 Sep 2012 18:48

new blog post
 
New blog post is up, with our travels from the Baja to central Mexico.

Enjoy!

The Taco Adventures

:scooter:

bkm_br 1 Oct 2012 01:13

If you guys, by any change, pass by near Uberlandia in Brazil, let me know so I will be able to pay you guys a beer
:thumbup1:

themattandatleyshow 6 Nov 2012 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkm_br (Post 394549)
If you guys, by any change, pass by near Uberlandia in Brazil, let me know so I will be able to pay you guys a beer
:thumbup1:

Haha awesome man, thanks! Keep following along and you will see if we get that far or not! bier


And we've just put up a new post today, describing our travels through central Mexico, so check it out!

Swerving Donkeys Daily

Matt

:mchappy:

cgwinner 16 Nov 2012 16:10

If you guys make it to Antigua, Guatemala (definitely a popular spot to relax a few days), be sure to come by Moto Cafe and share some stories with fellow motorcyclists, join us for a ride, or just have a beer!

Always great to meet fellow riders.

Moto Cafe
6a Calle Oriente #14
Antigua, Guatemala
14°33'19.50"N
90°43'52.43"W

Safe travels!

Chris

themattandatleyshow 28 Nov 2012 04:37

Slowly does it....
 
So we've realized that looking at absolutely everything takes a bit of time...
We're still down in Mexico checking out some sweet ass continental divide mountain riding, and it's looking like a year isn't nearly enough to get to Brazil.

It's interesting to meet other bikers on the road then to see that 2 weeks later they've moved onto 3 different countries.
I prefer our way, slow and thorough.

In any case, read all about it on our latest blog post!

Http://themattandatleyshow.blogspot.com

themattandatleyshow 28 Nov 2012 04:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgwinner (Post 400672)
If you guys make it to Antigua, Guatemala (definitely a popular spot to relax a few days), be sure to come by Moto Cafe and share some stories with fellow motorcyclists, join us for a ride, or just have a beer!

Always great to meet fellow riders.

Moto Cafe
6a Calle Oriente #14
Antigua, Guatemala
14°33'19.50"N
90°43'52.43"W

Safe travels!

Chris

Thanks heaps! We will definitely take you up on that, should be there by Christmas (despite being a days ride from you right now!)

DirtyHotDog 28 Nov 2012 19:20

Just read through your blog and I have to admit that while sitting here in my windowless office I'm extremely jealous of this trip. If you don't mind sharing as I didn't see it on the blog how much did you set aside for 12+ months of bike travel? I've been toying with the idea for awhile of the glorious alaska -> TDF trip (with a loop back up the east coast of SA and I esimate I'd around 20,000 or more including cost of bike.

Looks like you guys are having an incredible time and I hope to see some more cool updates as you head further south.

themattandatleyshow 20 Dec 2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyHotDog (Post 402247)
Just read through your blog and I have to admit that while sitting here in my windowless office I'm extremely jealous of this trip. If you don't mind sharing as I didn't see it on the blog how much did you set aside for 12+ months of bike travel? I've been toying with the idea for awhile of the glorious alaska -> TDF trip (with a loop back up the east coast of SA and I esimate I'd around 20,000 or more including cost of bike.

Looks like you guys are having an incredible time and I hope to see some more cool updates as you head further south.

Hey dude.
Before the trip we spent heaps of time cranking out a massively detailed spreadsheet, with all the costs we could find out. Including the purchase of a bike, setting up the bike, buying riding gear, camping gear, travel insurance, the panama to colombia boat trip, maintenance of the bike, and living for 12 months, the grand total was US$40k.

Now we are 6 months into the trip and we all have $20k of the above budget remaining, so I'm thinking about continuing on for another 12 months from now.

You could do it cheaper for sure, by eating hard boiled eggs and rice, but we like tacos and fresh seafood. And you could camp out for free heaps, but we like the occasional shower.

And keep in mind we were only in Canada and USA for 2 months, and we free camped 75% of the nights. That's the pricey bit. The plate of fresh shrimp I'm about to go eat, here in Guatemala, costs US$3.50.

Cheers

Matt

themattandatleyshow 20 Dec 2012 18:38

New blog post!
 
Check out our new blog post!

Metal Mules in the Mayan Mountains

DirtyHotDog 29 Dec 2012 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by themattandatleyshow (Post 404717)
Hey dude.
Before the trip we spent heaps of time cranking out a massively detailed spreadsheet, with all the costs we could find out. Including the purchase of a bike, setting up the bike, buying riding gear, camping gear, travel insurance, the panama to colombia boat trip, maintenance of the bike, and living for 12 months, the grand total was US$40k.

Now we are 6 months into the trip and we all have $20k of the above budget remaining, so I'm thinking about continuing on for another 12 months from now.

You could do it cheaper for sure, by eating hard boiled eggs and rice, but we like tacos and fresh seafood. And you could camp out for free heaps, but we like the occasional shower.

And keep in mind we were only in Canada and USA for 2 months, and we free camped 75% of the nights. That's the pricey bit. The plate of fresh shrimp I'm about to go eat, here in Guatemala, costs US$3.50.

Cheers

Matt

That's awesome. I imagined that you would have tried to minimize expenses in CAN/US. I also would imagine that food and lodging are fairly cheap down in central/south america. Also assume that's 40k per person rather than total?

Some absolutely amazing pictures in the latest post. Shame you guys lost the GOPRO :(


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:20.


vB.Sponsors