soory i know this is a repeat but . . . . .
Posted earlier in this thread questions regarding split rims so thought following could be useful to any who may be subscribed to this one.
Sorry, I know this is a repeat of a posting in the original thread, but thought it good info and don't know of any way to connect the threads (so to speak !)
Anyhow, my day of brake fluid and tyre change has come to an end !
Nigel - thanks for info regarding weight, very interesting (not boring atall !), it clarified a slight question I had; I.E my under bonnet tag stated 40.10 but my exterior bodywork logo states 35.10. Now from what you say the 35.10 means 3500kgs MGW, whereas 40.10 gains me another 550kgs.
I'm figuring that this military spec 4x4 is plated at 4050kgs MGW but the original 'std' bodywork is for the bog std turbo daily van rated at 3500kgs.
That's my logic and i reckon it makes sense for me.
Of course the slight issue is that if I top up both my diesel tanks (180litres) and my water tank (100litres) and put the girlfriend on board (won't say !!!) my MGW goes to 4200kgs, ok, yes technically i'm over the 4050 limit, so i'll just run little light on liquids (and maybe leave Angie at home !!).
The ironic problem here though is, you most likely need that stock of liquid when you head of into those shall we say 'out of the way' places, exactly the sort of places where breakdowns ('break'!!) will occur and exactly the last place you need to be stuck.
AHHHH - the dilemas of adventure travel, - 'seat of pants, what pants ? ! !'
so back to todays repairs:
brake fluid was absolutely useless, filthy, knackd, no good, surprising I could ever stop really. All brake fluid now replaced and brakes are working fine (how good ? I'll let you know after my next downhill with my 4200kgs)
tyres - 5 good, but not new n spanking, cooper 235/85 AT. should get me through the snow.
split rims : well it took approx 1 hr per rim for the garage (who have the kit and slightly more knowledge than me), but biggest problem appeared to be initial breaking seal of rim and just getting that first bit flipped up, problem caused by excess corroding (and probably not helped by my painting). Now these rims have all been removed, cleaned and greased a bit the shouldn't (i hope) be such an issue if i need to run a repair in the field.
that table data and balancing of pressure stuff i was worried about?
thanks to the manual supplied by Luke & Graeme (cheers boys) i found info i was after. but with the explanations above regarding load adjuster and function of I realised that adjuster is almost certainly at max open (coz of my weight) and so pressure will be balanced. in other words decided not to spend axtra money checkin !
so, 7 hrs of work (swiss prices), 2 litres or so of brake fluid, 5 decent tyres, 1 new tube, 2 spare s/h tubes, little bit of shopping ('snatch' rope, 9m rated for 8000kgs and a simple but neat 2.4m x 2.5m awning) came to £305.
I hate spending money, but I think I did ok today.
Thanks all for help, suggestions, knowledge, & info.
Liechtenstein tomorrow, via the hilly bits.