Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Northern Asia

Northern Asia Topics specific to Russia, Central Asia (also known as "the 'stans"), Mongolia, Japan and Korea
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Refreshing, funny, informative, thought provoking, honest, inspirational, infectious, budget overlanding. A handbook, a guidebook but ultimately a genuine traveller’s tale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2006
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Posts: 58
Translation of documents

We are soon to leave the UK for Russia and although we had heard about translating documents it has taken us a while to find out where and how. If anyone is interested read below.

International Certificate of Motor Vehicle
(the text is blue is taken from the application form at May 2006)
International convention requires that the original registration document (V5) or certificate of registration (V379) accompanies a vehicle when it is taken overseas. However, although a British registration document is recognised in many countries, it must be accompanied by an International Certificate for Motor Vehicles (ICMV) when temporarily importing a vehicle into Egypt (from Israel -subject to certain conditions), Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia or Uruguay. Possession of an ICMV is recommended when travelling to Russian speaking areas of the former USSR, it is also advisable outside Europe when travelling in those countries where the French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Arabic or Persian translations of vehicle details may be more readily understood than English.
In addition, a letter of authority from the registered keeper will be required if the vehicle is not registered in the applicant's name.
Applications in the UK are now being managed through the AA (note that Carnet de Passage en Douane are issued by the RAC). You should contact their International Services Division on: +44 012 5649 3806
Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2006
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 88
About Russia

An ICMV in practice is not required for Russia as in my experience, the customs are perfactly capable of understanding a V5C with a little help. However, Russian insurance companies are another matter because in the event you have to make a claim, they will do everything in their power to avoid paying and one of the excuses is that the V5C hasn't been translated into Russian. So, if the ICMV is a bit like an IDP which has a Russian page then it might be useful in Russia if you were unfortunate to have a crash. I did manage to get a Russian insurance company to accept the V5C in conjunction with the customs temporary import certificate which was in Russian anyway!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting registration documents from Japan motordude Northern Asia 0 28 Apr 2006 10:28
Registration documents ?? Bigtrip05 Trip Paperwork 3 3 Apr 2005 08:06
passport translation into Arabic in U.S.? tmborden Sahara Travel Forum 0 23 Sep 2004 23:38
Vehicle registration translation geokobbi Trip Paperwork 1 21 Jul 2003 23:16
Translation? Returnticket? Carnet? MattiasW Trip Paperwork 2 1 Aug 2002 19:58


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:15.