Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Northern Asia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/northern-asia/)
-   -   Good mechanic in Almaty? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/northern-asia/good-mechanic-in-almaty-58411)

Wolfgang 100 27 Jul 2011 15:24

Good mechanic in Almaty?
 
Hey guys,

I've got a serious problem concerning the shaft drive of my BMW 1200 GS Adventure (2006 version). It's leaking quite substantially, meaning I loose oil.

I have to fix it in Almaty. I already ordered the necessary spare parts. DHL should deliver it wihtin the next 2 weeks.

Do you know a good mechanic in or around Almaty who could do the job? I also heard of some kind of motorcycle club there. Does anyone know the contact details?

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Best,
Christian

colebatch 28 Jul 2011 01:31

KZ Motors / My Town Motors
 
If you have my waypoints listed at the top of the Northern Asia section here, its waypoint titled "Almaty MyTownMoto".

If you dont, then you need to go to 43.20611 N, 76.90482 E

Its a bike club where every biker in Almaty basically gets the work done on their bike.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang 100 (Post 343836)
Hey guys,

I've got a serious problem concerning the shaft drive of my BMW 1200 GS Adventure (2006 version). It's leaking quite substantially, meaning I loose oil.

I have to fix it in Almaty. I already ordered the necessary spare parts. DHL should deliver it wihtin the next 2 weeks.

Do you know a good mechanic in or around Almaty who could do the job? I also heard of some kind of motorcycle club there. Does anyone know the contact details?

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Best,
Christian


Zimi 28 Jul 2011 09:27

in Almaty there's a very good and friendly mechanic called Boris, he has a small workshop and prepared a bike for a Kazakh rally pilot for the dakar, so I think he's good and he speaks english

here is his phone number:
+7773652984

I will put his gps coordinated when i've got the time

henryuk 28 Jul 2011 10:50

I had a very good experience with the guys at MyTown Moto

colebatch 28 Jul 2011 12:04

I also had good experience with my town moto, but a bad experience with Boris

tmotten 28 Jul 2011 23:20

Is Boris the one with the old bike on a pole and all 12 year olds smoking 3 packs a day 'fiddling' with peoples bikes?

Groott 29 Jul 2011 07:30

I was in Almaty a month ago and by chance met some stunt bikers. One of them is a good mechanic. He works from his house in the north outskirts of the city.

He replaced my Honda Africa Twin steering bearing and did a great job. I spent 3 days drinking with these guys. Call a young guy named Oleg at +77759338708. He is one of the bikers, speaks English and lives next door to the mechanic.

Also visited each of the bike shops but they are very expensive. Getting that shaft drive there will not be cheap in any event so maybe you don't care... Good luck.

Tijs

Sambor 29 Jul 2011 13:46

You can do it also in Bishkek. Aliej +996 555204204
He speaks a little german. Good guy, riding Africa Twin.

Wolfgang 100 29 Jul 2011 17:54

Hey guys,
thank you for your responses. I hope I get the work done in Almaty. The spare part is then hopefully there. I ordered the gasket ring in Germany.
Your advice will help me a lot!
Thank you
Wolfgang

-Ali- 8 Aug 2011 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groott (Post 343978)
I was in Almaty a month ago and by chance met some stunt bikers. One of them is a good mechanic. He works from his house in the north outskirts of the city.

He replaced my Honda Africa Twin steering bearing and did a great job. I spent 3 days drinking with these guys. Call a young guy named Oleg at +77759338708. He is one of the bikers, speaks English and lives next door to the mechanic.

Also visited each of the bike shops but they are very expensive. Getting that shaft drive there will not be cheap in any event so maybe you don't care... Good luck.

Tijs

Tijs mate i called Oleg on your recommendation when i arrived in Almaty, i waited for him for 4 hours ( he said he'd be and hour and a half) never bothered to turn up or answer his phone, he eventually turned it off. I wouldn't personally recommend him to anyone.

all the best

alistair

rtwdoug 8 Aug 2011 10:56

+1 on mytown motors, at least I think thats the shop, colebatch had writtin on the door. so I drew a funny face next to it :P

anyhow, I didnt have them do the work, I did it myself, but they were happy to let me use the garage & a couple tools I didnt have with me, I had fried a stator in turkmenistan.

Also, go visit Yeldos, he has a restaurant called Eldoro, its on pushkin st, about 100m north of the cathedral park. Great guy, very helpful, and may know a good bmw wrench. He's got several bikes himself. Tell him I sent ya

Doug

Tirpse 5 Dec 2011 14:36

[QUOTE=rtwdoug;344972Also, go visit Yeldos, he has a restaurant called Eldoro, its on pushkin st, about 100m north of the cathedral park. Great guy, very helpful, and may know a good bmw wrench. He's got several bikes himself. Tell him I sent ya
Doug[/QUOTE]
Yeldos also nowadays runs a small Harley motorcycle shop in Almaty (I think he opened last summer?). He doesnt have other bike parts but if you are looking any bike parts/get bike fixed etc or anything for the bike i am sure he can tell you where to get it and help getting it. It seems that quite many biker who visit Almaty seems to meet him and he helps them somehow. He has also Eldorado pizzeria/restaurant/nightclub in Shimkent. Best pizzas of Almaty or Shimkent!

Groott 5 Dec 2011 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Ali- (Post 344938)
Tijs mate i called Oleg on your recommendation when i arrived in Almaty, i waited for him for 4 hours ( he said he'd be and hour and a half) never bothered to turn up or answer his phone, he eventually turned it off. I wouldn't personally recommend him to anyone.

all the best

alistair

Hey Alistair,

Late response from my part: sorry to hear that Oleg let you down. He is a young guy and acts that way. I can say that from experience having driven around Almaty on the back of his bike.

Anyway, thanks for warning others and hope you are having a good time!

Tijs

donuk 6 Jun 2012 10:57

I just had work done at Mytownmoto/MCC Motors.

The place run by leonid with walter colebatch and others writing on the workshop door.

Was having running problems with my XT and they have done an oil/filter change, fresh spark plug, then when that did not solve it, checked the valve clearances and stripped the carb down and cleaned it...

All for a pretty reasonable price.

Its basically the Almaty version of Essential Rubber in london, all the bikers seem to go there, and i would again. GPS coords are pretty accurate, its on Zharakova street, you will see a sign for Harley Davidson and its just past that on the left. There is a HorizonsUnlimited sticker on the main garage shutter.

beat_ 16 Jul 2012 19:12

Was at my town moto today.
could wait for the bike to be serviced (long wait though) but better than the next day.
sorry rtwdoug, no drawing...opening hours are covering it.

it is past the harley sign when you come from the city.
and behind the car wash...
i had my bike washed..other wise they wouldn't work on it.
it's better than the yearly was i do :oops2:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:26.


vB.Sponsors