EP gear oil
I'm now back from Central-Asia tour, clocked about 23K km. I only used EP oil for chain (DID VM), total about 0,5 liters. Changed front sprocket at 15K.
I really like EP oil as chain oil. I can apply it very precisely on each chain roller gap and seal separately with a very small oil applicator bottle (the bottle was originally sourced with door lock oil from supermarket).
1) You can apply it by hand on right places with high precision (no crappy aerosol)
2) Oil is not sticking to chain -- when chain collects dust or mud, just oil it and the oil will clean all the dust away quickly (oil will attach to dust particles and then these will fly off), so the chain looks almost like new.
3) Available widely
4) Chain oiling process with small oil applicator bottle is much more therapeudic then with aerosol. I found it to be relaxing process and suddenly found that I don't hate oiling chain!
5) If you are going to a short trip, you can only take this very small bottle of oil with you, no need to carry big can of spray.
1) Biggest problem is when it is raining -- it is washed off in minutes, when raining
2) As it is not sticking to chain, it flies off more easily and gets dusty more easily
I oiled chain each day one or more times. Usually after about 200 km or more often when required. On pavement with dry weather it lasts more.