Buying a bike in Mongolia?
Planning a trip to Mongolia/Russia, Stans and into Europe this June. Thought I'd ship my bike I'm currently on (riding in Australia now), but it's so expensive to ship, and it's just a cheap-ish KL250 that I don't think is worth shipping. Thinking about buying a bike in Ulaanbaatar and seeing how far it'll take me.
- Can a non-resident legally register a bike in Mongolia?
- Any foreseeable legal/political issues leaving Mongolia and heading towards Europe with it? I don't need a carnet for those countries, right?
- Insurance? Can I buy it at the border with Russia and the Stans? How about a Greencard for the rest of Europe?
- Do they sell not crappy 250cc dual sports, and how much do they run?
- Cost for cheap Chinese Mustangs like the nomads ride? $800ish?
- Is it better to buy in South Korea, and what should I expect if doing that?
Any info would be great. I was in Mongolia years ago, but that was well before my motorcycling days.