Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > North America

North America Topics specific to Canada and USA/Alaska only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Mar 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 23
ownership transfer for a canadian bike..

hey evryone..
i´m travelling at the moment in south america on a klr i bought from a candian guy (he´s from BC).
since i´m neither a canadian nor american citizen i understood i could not legally make an ownership transfer, as i don´t have a residencial address in canada.
as i came to think about it, it doesn´t look logical to me, why won´t i be able to be the owner of the bike?

so my question is, is it possible for me to make the ownership transfer?
is it a problem that the bike is currently in SA?
what do i need in order to register the bike on my name in canada?
resident address? friend´s address? money?
how long does it take?
the previous owner is a nice guy from BC, i´m sure that if i contact him for help he would try to help make the transfer.

i´ll appreciate the help since it would make it easier for me to sell the moto when i´m done on my trip (well, my bank manager sais it´s ¨NOW!¨) or even to take it back home to israel if i need..

Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2009
Ekke's Avatar
HU CanWest Meeting Organiser
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Redwood Meadows, AB, Canada
Posts: 360
Ownership isn't the problem

Hi Asaf,

The problem isn't so much the ownership of the bike it is the registration. I assume when you bought the bike you got a bill of sale, this is your proof of ownership.

Registering the bike in Canada would be fairly straightforward if you were here but is terribly difficult if you are not. We even had difficulty getting a new Alberta licence plate when Audrey's was stolen in Germany and only managed to get one because we had signed a form before we left authorising someone to do it on our behalf.

Registering the bike where you are could also be challenging as you would be importing the bike to that country and would have to pay duties.

Sorry I haven't got any better answers. Maybe Mountain Man from BC will chip in and provide some comments. He has a couple of bikes with odd registrations. :-)
Ekke Kok

'84 R100RT 141,000 km (Dad's!)
'89 R100GS 250,000 km (and ready for another continent)
'07 R1200GS Adventure 100,000 km (just finished Circumnavigating Asia)

Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 93
If you want to end up with a British Columbia registration in your name here's more information than you might really want to know.

Both you and the seller need to fill out and sign a B.C. type of transfer form known offically as a "APVGT Transfer/Tax Statement of Vehicle Origin". The seller can easily pick one up, complete his part of it and send it to you.

The seller also needs to provide you with a signed tear off portion of his old registration.

You would fill out and sign your portion of the transfer form. Skipping over some complications for the moment, the completed transfer form (and the old registration) could be sent back to B.C. and presented by somebody at any "Autoplan" office in B.C. Two sales taxes would have to be paid on the selling price (12% total) plus a further fee. This would yield a new B.C. registration in your name but no licence plate. In B.C. a new plate only issues if you buy at least the minimum required liability insurance for the vehicle. Such insurance would not be valid in S.A. by the way.

O.K. now for the complications. Firstly, since you would not be personally present in B.C. to carry out this process, whoever goes into the Autoplan office for you would need a type of power of attorney authorizing them to effect the transfer on your behalf.

Next, the transfer form does have a space for you to write in a B.C. driver's licence number. I'm not sure if this is compulsory. People do come into the province from elsewhere and buy vehicles presumably while still on foreign driver's licences.

Next, the transfer form does, of course, require an address.

To find out out what the power of attorney looks like, and if you must have a B.C. driver's licence and if you require a B.C. address I suggest you root around on the Insurance Corporation of B.C. website which has a wealth of information. The URL is ICBC - Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. This government insurance company handles all vehicle registrations as well as vehicle insurance.

If you managed to jump through all these hoops and end up wih a B.C. registration in your name I'm not sure what you could do with it given that you're is S.A.

As I said, perhaps more than you wanted to know.

Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2009
HUBB regular
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Posts: 71
What you will need in BC to register the bike is a government transfer form known as a APV-10. It is signed by both parties and has all the registration information on the bike along with mileage, that sort of thing.

You will need an address in BC to provide for correspondence such as the address of the person who sold you the bike. You can use your international drivers permit in lieu of a BC drivers licence. The transfer and everything can be done in about 30 minutes if you are here in person including issuing a new license plate. What license plate are you using on the bike right now ?

Sorry Ekke but in BC a bill of sale does not provide ownership of a registered vehicle only a proper transfer and registration. Actually under BC law you are supposed to transfer the vehicle within ten days of purchase

If you are here in BC the transfer is really straight forward but it would be darn difficult if not impossible as a non-resident ( being non- Canadian) and tying to do it from outside the country. One of the most basic things is if the bike needs and inspection for registration purposes the bike is not physically here.

My suggestion would be to either attempt to come to BC to register the bike or make arrangements to register it down there somewhere if possible.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 23
hmmm... hmmmm....
seems easy.. well first i should thank you guys for helping me out on this one.
this is quite a handfull as i see it as there`s no chance i`ll be visiting canada any time soon.
and maybe it just sounds a bit complicated with all the forms but i think that for now i will try and sell it here the way i bought it and try to avoid the head ache..

thanks for your help fellas,
i`ll update (and ask some more questions probably) if i do decide to carry on with this ownership transfer issue.

Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,002

Dirtpig raised a good point in his post (above) when he mentioned that the motorcycle needs to have a safety inspection before you can get a licence plate for it. However, "getting a licence plate" is not the same as "registering yourself as the owner". You have to be registered as the owner of a motor vehicle before you can get a licence plate for it, but you do not necessarily have to get a licence plate for a vehicle that you register.

What I mean is this: If your objective is simply to get a document that indicates that you have legal title to the motorcycle, you could probably accomplish that without having to bring the motorcycle to Canada. You would need to pay the sales taxes (the 12% of fair retail value) previously referred to, but you would not need to pay the licence plate fee, or get insurance. What you would have is a document that says that you have legal title to an "unfit" motor vehicle. The vehicle would be deemed "unfit" simply because it has not passed the inspection that is required in Canada whenever a used motor vehicle changes owners.

It might be easiest all around to get the moto transferred into your name and plated in one of the countries that you are currently travelling in. You might need to consult a local lawyer, but I am sure that the cost of getting legal advice from a local lawyer and possibly plating the bike with a temporary (meaning, eventually for export) plate down south would be less than the cost of paying the 12% sales tax in BC.

Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Victoria, BC CANADA
Posts: 6
Registering Bikes in B.C.

First of all the tax would only be 7% PST, since you do not have to pay the 5% GST on private sales.

Second, motorcycles DO NOT require any type of inspection to be registered in B.C., even when they are coming from another state/province. If it is from another state/province the only requirement is that the VIN # must be checked physically by the ICBC agent doing the registration. Since this is a B.C. registered bike already it does not require this to be done.
\"Age Dangerously\"
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Margaret River, WA, Australia
Posts: 10
Similar Situation (?)

We're Aussies buying an ST1100 in Alberta. It's being shipped to Halifax for us, so we can explore and cross Canada, eventually arriving in BC, where we have close relatives. The Honda dealer says we'll have no issues, but we're concerned that: a.) the bike has no number plate; b.) the seller says it needs no safety certificate and they "...don't require one in Canada...". So here are our questions: 1.) Will it be difficult for us to get a plate in Nova Scotia, given that we do have a BC address? 2.) As ST1100s do have some ABS issues... and replacing the computer is expensive, is the dealer correct that no safety certificate is required? We'd prefer that this _was_ checked out... . Any other advice, please? Touring Australia on a bike? Let us know... You'll enjoy our (free) chalet in one of W.A.'s top tourist towns. (Away July '09 - January '10)
Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 742
Hi Oz,

I would recommend buying insurance in BC, the province where the bike is already registered. To obtain insurance in another province, you need to register the bike in that province which usually entails some hassle and potentially sales taxes, deppending on the province.

You will have to jump through some hoops to obtain your BC insurance as you will not be in the province to complete all the forms, etc. but you can plan around all that. Working through a dealer may be what has complicated this portion of it as they are following the letter of the law, can't say for sure.

There are also a couple of other easy solutions to this if they won't work with you to solve that. Feel free to email me and I'd be happy to help. Cheers.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTW Bike Ownership/Financing Question plan4 Trip Paperwork 6 26 Nov 2008 23:38
how to change the ownership of the Canadian registered bike when beeing abroad? pitblama North America 1 4 Apr 2008 04:33
How do you transfer bike registration in SA? AnderZen South America 11 5 May 2006 13:47
Bike Ownership Big Red Trip Paperwork 7 18 Jun 2005 15:44
canadian bike in mx paco Central America and Mexico 1 2 Jan 2005 03:22


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events


Latvia to Australia, an inspirational 5 month journey full of unexpected adventures!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:23.