Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Navigation - Maps, Compass, GPS (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/navigation-maps-compass-gps/)
-   -   Garmin 60csx, OSM and postcodes (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/navigation-maps-compass-gps/garmin-60csx-osm-and-postcodes-65379)

TheBaldReverend 21 Jul 2012 13:52

Garmin 60csx, OSM and postcodes
 
Hi,

I've got a Garmin 60csx and City Navigator NT maps which have post code searching.

I prefer the OSM maps as there seems to be more detail but no postcode searching.

Is there anyway of downloading OSM maps with postcode support?

Thanks

Griffdowg 21 Jul 2012 23:12

I dont know a great deal about OSM but I would be very surprised if it had this feature. You may have to swap between map sets to get what you require.

A postcode to lat/lon converter may be what you need :)

G

iainnic 22 Dec 2012 20:45

The 60CSx won't run OS maps. It does run the TOPO series, but not some one the newer ones

Search Garmins' site for 60CSx and it will display compatible maps.
Topo GB is around £150 still - pricey !

Warin 22 Dec 2012 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainnic (Post 404903)
The 60CSx won't run OS maps.

I've a 60Cx running OSM maps... Garmin probably don't list OSM at all for any of there devices. Why should they? No money in it for them.

Post code data is not on OSM probably because no one is adding it. You want it? Think about adding it yourself? :( Lot of work.

Walkabout 22 Dec 2012 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBaldReverend (Post 386630)
Hi,


I prefer the OSM maps as there seems to be more detail but no postcode searching.

Is there anyway of downloading OSM maps with postcode support?

Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out; I use a Nuvi 205w and it acts in the same way as you describe, but I hadn't noticed this previously i.e. there is no post code search when I select OSM maps (kept on the SD card) but it will do such a search with the garmin NT map that is in the main memory; maybe I should try the Nuvi with both maps selected??


Quote:

Originally Posted by iainnic (Post 404903)
The 60CSx won't run OS maps. It does run the TOPO series, but not some one the newer ones

Search Garmins' site for 60CSx and it will display compatible maps.
Topo GB is around £150 still - pricey !

Iannic, OSM refers to Open Source Mapping (have a look in the sticky threads in here for more about that), and not the UK Ordnance Survey products.
I agree, the latter are pricy but they do retain the copyright which is basically what is included in the asking price.

mcguyver 23 Dec 2012 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainnic (Post 404903)
The 60CSx won't run OS maps. It does run the TOPO series, but not some one the newer ones

Search Garmins' site for 60CSx and it will display compatible maps.
Topo GB is around £150 still - pricey !

Mine runs it just fine, but there is no post code search in OSM.

iainnic 29 Dec 2012 21:01

OK - the reason why you get routing and search data on TOPO is that GArmin incorporate it into their mapping products when they can , hence the costs vary. I believe the data is the Navtec routing data. This wont be present on OSM.

Warin 29 Dec 2012 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainnic (Post 405602)
OK - the reason why you get routing and search data on TOPO is that GArmin incorporate it into their mapping products when they can , hence the costs vary. I believe the data is the Navtec routing data.

It may be Navtec in one Garmin product, Sensis in another and something else is yet another... depends on where they got the data (cost driven?).

Routing requires the 'roads' to be precisely linked, i.e. their end points of each segment must coincide with the end point of the next segment. Then the software that complies the data must also do something too... Cheaper (read the cheapest) will not produce routeable maps, pay more and with the same data in you get routeable maps out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainnic (Post 405602)
This wont be present on OSM.

Depends on the input data. If the input data is there in OSM then you get it on the OSM map.

Walkabout 4 Jan 2013 05:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBaldReverend (Post 386630)
Hi,

I've got a Garmin 60csx and City Navigator NT maps which have post code searching.

I prefer the OSM maps as there seems to be more detail but no postcode searching.

Is there anyway of downloading OSM maps with postcode support?

Thanks

I've continued experimenting with my Nuvi and I can do a search for UK postcodes using the usual Garmin map and then switch over to using an OSM map for the same area (in this case for the whole of the UK in OSM and city navigator for Europe).
This works fine for the city navigator map mounted in the internal memory and the OSM map on an sd card.
It also works with both maps activated together; the Garmin map shows on the screen rather than the OSM version, but once the post code search is completed then de-selecting the Garmin map via the tools menu leaves the OSM on the display, and the post code searched location remains as the selected route (I guess that it is all based on coordinates in any case).


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:02.


vB.Sponsors