Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Events > Motorcycle Events around the world

Motorcycle Events around the world Post any motorcycle event of interest to motorcycle travellers here - please put the location country in the subject!
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 31 Dec 2007
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Club rules weren't broken .
Vehicle class regulations were .
He didn't "fit" into any of our classes , it was too late in the season to start a new class .
He was allowed to enter but not gain points in any class .
We could have excluded him ,
we didn't .
The club voted for a new vehicle class at the AGM .
Everyone was happy because the club officials took a broad view [ or blind eye whatever you want to call it ] , it happens all the time in motor and motorcycle clubs .

Happy New Year !
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 31 Dec 2007
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,366
I use to ride 'reliability trials' here .. no numbers on bike or me .. mostly I remember a 'card' - scrap of paper that people took and wrote things on and I got back .. fairly simple really .. just went out and had fun .... There were rules .. you had to have ACU membership .. and have read the rider rules .. most of which had no aplication for what 'we' were doing ..

I wonder how the MCC would react to a OZie on a OZ regoed bike turning up .. "Tax disk ? Wots that, mate?" "MOT? .. wada ya mean? :P
__________________
---
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 31 Dec 2007
palace15's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LONDONISTAN, England
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner View Post
I use to ride 'reliability trials' here .. no numbers on bike or me .. mostly I remember a 'card' - scrap of paper that people took and wrote things on and I got back .. fairly simple really .. just went out and had fun .... There were rules .. you had to have ACU membership .. and have read the rider rules .. most of which had no aplication for what 'we' were doing ..

I wonder how the MCC would react to a OZie on a OZ regoed bike turning up .. "Tax disk ? Wots that, mate?" "MOT? .. wada ya mean? :P

Come on over to England, and compete again, I'll even lend you my bike

As Kevin 'bloody' Wilson would say dilligaf !!
__________________
'He who laughs last, was too slow to get the joke'
Never confuse the map with the journey.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 1 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
He does have a point ya know.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner View Post
There were rules .. you had to have ACU membership .. and have read the rider rules .. most of which had no aplication for what 'we' were doing ..

I wonder how the MCC would react to a OZie on a OZ regoed bike turning up .. "Tax disk ? Wots that, mate?" "MOT? .. wada ya mean? :P
You see frank, THATS what I am talking about! i have visions of this.....

Oz official: you read the rules?
Oz Biker: yes
Oz official: you can read then?
Oz Biker: Beggerorrf.......

thats the way it should be......
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 1 Jan 2008
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: cardigan,wales
Posts: 251
Quite how such an innocent,well-meaning,informative thread has turned into an excuse for people to vent their spleen at the organising club of a trial is beyond me.....amusing in places though i must admit! I'll openly admit also to having competed in MCC events over the last 20 or so years(along with just about every other type of 2,3,and 4 wheeled motorsport going) and have enjoyed myself mostly.Granted MCC trials are not everyone's cup of rosey-lee (the same goes for road racing,motocross,enduro,even........travelling!) but please don't knock those who spend their own (un-paid) time and efforts to allow others to have fun in parts of the country where un-metalled vehicular rights of way are vanishing by the day.The work that these people do is in some cases the only reason why you CAN STILL RIDE in such places.In several cases the MCC is the ONLY club permitted to run legal,organised motoring events in areas otherwise closed off to vehicles full stop,hence the reason for needing to be "seen" as a respectable organisation by the general public many of whom care very little for motorcycles in particular.This is the real reason for scrutineers,etc wishing to make sure every competing vehicle is fully road legal and looking as respectable as possible.Yes it is possible to get an MOT on an enduro bike with questionable lights,numberplate size/positioning,silencing,etc....(my own exc 525 is a prime example) BUT there's no way i would enter it into a classic trial as it's a bit too uncivilized in the public's eyes.
However......pretty much any TRAIL bike produced in the last 30 years IS suitable with minimal or no modification,and this includes dual-sport bikes.When Ian posted this thread i think he intended it to be aimed towards those of us who have such bikes in the shed and who "have always wanted to have a go at that but never knew how to go about it".It took me a couple of years in the pre-internet days to track down the MCC so i could have a go myself,which i'm glad i did otherwise my little collection of tin-ware would be missing a certain Triple award (won on an pretty standard MZ on road tyres back in 1996),and many fond memories and friendships would'nt have been formed.
__________________
Just going for a short ride on my bike....
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 1 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
and why is that then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStobbs View Post
In several cases the MCC is the ONLY club permitted to run legal,organised motoring events in areas otherwise closed off to vehicles full stop,hence the reason for needing to be "seen" as a respectable organisation by the general public many of whom care very little for motorcycles in particular.
The reason for this is because the General Public are generally misinformed and class all 'Bikers' as loud, rowdy, trouble makers, and i must admit in a lot of cases because of teenagers on 'crossers' or bikes without baffles cos' they 'go faster' they have a right to their opinion.
look at the amount of 'minibikes' & 'Pitbikes' the Police confiscate for being ridden Illegally and there is no wonder only clubs like the MCC can get permission to ride in some places.

we haven't been venting our spleen at an Organisation, we have been having a good old leg pull and 'dig in the rib's' at a few members of an Organisation who love RULES.......and there not even about Bikes...LOOK
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Martyn/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpg[/IMG]

MCC | The Motor Cycling Club - 100 Years of Motorsport

on the first page THREE pictures of CARS .. Hardly a MOTORCYCLE CLUB is it?

Martyn 'no spleen' Biker
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStobbs View Post
Quite how such an innocent,well-meaning,informative thread has turned into an excuse for people to vent their spleen at the organising club of a trial is beyond me.....amusing in places though i must admit! I'll openly admit also to having competed in MCC events over the last 20 or so years(along with just about every other type of 2,3,and 4 wheeled motorsport going) and have enjoyed myself mostly.Granted MCC trials are not everyone's cup of rosey-lee (the same goes for road racing,motocross,enduro,even........travelling!) but please don't knock those who spend their own (un-paid) time and efforts to allow others to have fun in parts of the country where un-metalled vehicular rights of way are vanishing by the day.The work that these people do is in some cases the only reason why you CAN STILL RIDE in such places.In several cases the MCC is the ONLY club permitted to run legal,organised motoring events in areas otherwise closed off to vehicles full stop,hence the reason for needing to be "seen" as a respectable organisation by the general public many of whom care very little for motorcycles in particular.This is the real reason for scrutineers,etc wishing to make sure every competing vehicle is fully road legal and looking as respectable as possible.Yes it is possible to get an MOT on an enduro bike with questionable lights,numberplate size/positioning,silencing,etc....(my own exc 525 is a prime example) BUT there's no way i would enter it into a classic trial as it's a bit too uncivilized in the public's eyes.
However......pretty much any TRAIL bike produced in the last 30 years IS suitable with minimal or no modification,and this includes dual-sport bikes.When Ian posted this thread i think he intended it to be aimed towards those of us who have such bikes in the shed and who "have always wanted to have a go at that but never knew how to go about it".It took me a couple of years in the pre-internet days to track down the MCC so i could have a go myself,which i'm glad i did otherwise my little collection of tin-ware would be missing a certain Triple award (won on an pretty standard MZ on road tyres back in 1996),and many fond memories and friendships would'nt have been formed.

Well said John
I will see you on the Lands end as I can’t make the Exeter this year but have a good one

Bob Thorpe

And Martynbiker for someone that has no intention of competing in MCC events I can’t understand why you are so happy to put other’s off and to slag the club off
As my old Mum used to say if you have nothing nice to say nothing especially if it on a subject that you don’t appear to be very well informed about
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
i havent put others off Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB UK View Post
Well said John
I will see you on the Lands end as I can’t make the Exeter this year but have a good one

Bob Thorpe

And Martynbiker for someone that has no intention of competing in MCC events I can’t understand why you are so happy to put other’s off and to slag the club off
As my old Mum used to say if you have nothing nice to say nothing especially if it on a subject that you don’t appear to be very well informed about
Bob, Can you show me WHERE on any of these posts I have advised anyone NOT to join the MCC?, I actually think they do a good job apart from the excessive rules! (oh and the fact that MCC stands for Motor Cycle Club and they allow CARS ) and all this ribbing started as a bit of banter between Me, Dave Ede, & Dodger... as a result of a Post by Ian. it actually has nothing to do with the rest of you apart from the fact its a public forum, so stop getting your knickers in a twist all of you and see it for what it is, A little light hearted banter and a distraction from the crap on TV If you wish to comment, fair play, but Im not against anyone.....

Imagine if you can, any of the comments I post said with a sly ole' grin and a twinkle in the eye! and you wont be far off the mark mate!

Martyn
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Off Topic ,

Bob you will have to cut Martyn some slack , the poor lad has had a tough time with rules every since a run in with Authority in his youth .

Yep ,that's right ," operating a pedal cycle without a current Cycling Profiency Certificate ".


Oh the Shame of it !
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
Thumbs up Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
Bob you will have to cut Martyn some slack , the poor lad has had a tough time with rules every since a run in with Authority in his youth .

Yep ,that's right ," operating a pedal cycle without a current Cycling Profiency Certificate ".


Oh the Shame of it !
you really DO have some strange pics on your HD Bloke!

Martyn
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 5 Jan 2008
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Banter [total rubbish ]

This conviction wasn't Martyn's first offence , earlier that week he had been caught smoking and drinking behind the bike sheds .



What would his mum say ?
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 5 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
Dodger, you know this can only go one way!

.....

Revenge, Dodger....... will be SWEET!

Martyn
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 6 Jan 2008
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Banter [ utter twaddle]

Martyn's mum decided to do what the British always do in time of crisis ; have a cup of tea .


His dad however was too busy reminiscing about his former glory days on the silver screen .


Sadly Martyn pondered his future .
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 6 Jan 2008
Dodger's Avatar
Large Golden Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,098
Banter [ leg pulling ] [ complete idiocy] off topic

And so, maligned and misunderstood, Martyn empties his piggy bank buys a motorcycle and hits the road :



Who knows where the road will take him and what adventure lies in store ?



[ Cheers for now Martyn , work beckons and I shall be away for a while , have fun plotting your revenge , Best Regards old boy !]

The Dodger
__________________
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan
"When you come to a fork in the road ,take it ! When you come to a spoon in the road ,take that also ."
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 6 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
hee hee .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger View Post


[ Cheers for now Martyn , work beckons and I shall be away for a while , have fun plotting your revenge , Best Regards old boy !]

The Dodger
Oh I will dear chap........ I will...... Revenge is a dish best served......COLD

Martyn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a foreign owned bike in Chile with the owner not in the country sunflowers South America 8 28 Sep 2006 19:11
bike travel in laos, cambodia, vietnam goggstrotters Southern Asia 5 18 Apr 2004 11:05
First Bike recommendations joelcannon Which Bike? 1 14 Jul 2003 01:02
Bike Week Philippines John Joe Southern Asia 0 21 Jul 2002 13:47
Where to buy a bike for travel in Europe? jk Travellers' questions that don't fit anywhere else 2 19 Aug 2000 04:15

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54.