Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Morocco

Morocco Topics specific to Morocco, including Western Sahara west of the berm
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Morocco Overland: From the Atlas to the Sahara - 4WD, Motorcycle, Van, Mountain Bike

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 3 Oct 2012
kingkurt's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
4x4 washed out to sea

I have just been looking for wrecks in Google Earth along the west coast and found this pic

4x4 washed out to sea-image6.jpg

Some guy got too close to the sea north of Tantan and lost his 4x4 in the waves

More here
Panoramio - Photo of DESASTRE 4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 3 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 956
I started out on the Plage Blanche twice and turned back....intimidated by strong wind & high seas

"Do you feel lucky today - punk?"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5 Oct 2012
Wheelie's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 457
In January/February this year, in the Budapest to Bamako Rally, one of the Norwegian contenders, riding a big ATV, got his ATV washed out to sea.

When riding on this beach, stay off the black stuff - it will get you stuck. Speak to the locals about the tide (don't rely on tide tables), and ride on the yellow sand, and it is a breeze

Here is a video of the beach - with me and my pals doing it on Classic Vespa scooters. It starts off with the best camel shot of all time: Day 11. Mauritania, down to the beach - YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5 Oct 2012
kingkurt's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
In January/February this year, in the Budapest to Bamako Rally, one of the Norwegian contenders, riding a big ATV, got his ATV washed out to sea.

When riding on this beach, stay off the black stuff - it will get you stuck. Speak to the locals about the tide (don't rely on tide tables), and ride on the yellow sand, and it is a breeze

Here is a video of the beach - with me and my pals doing it on Classic Vespa scooters. It starts off with the best camel shot of all time: Day 11. Mauritania, down to the beach - YouTube
Woow - doing it on vespas, cool!

I watched some of your youtube videos, did you have a support team with you or did you just tag along with the other 4x4's
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5 Oct 2012
Wheelie's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 457
Three riders on three scooters, completely unsupported. There was a camera crew that was supposed to follow us for a TV production for the Travel Channel, but they didn't like our pace, and wouldn't do the offroad bits we decided to go for - we lost them in Morocco and stumbled upon them a few more times on the tarmac bits - but we carried all our own stuff all the way... Half a scooter in spares, two ten liter jerry cans of fuel per scooter, lots and lots of impossible to get two stroke oil, half a field hospital, massive ammount of tools, two sets of wheels per scooter, camping equipment, and half a change of clothing and no usual "single personal luxury item"... Tools saw heavy usage from daily break downs, including three burned clutches and a shock absorber (luckily we were prepared for this). Traveling this fast, we needed to carry all the likely to go wrong bits of the scooter, which pretty much meant everything... meaning we were really heavy

Due to our choice of bikes, we had to start earlier than everyone else, and we allways finished much later - usually after dark. We lived mostly off of dry bread with apricot jam and water, this as we often had to leave before breakfast service or shops opened for business, and there would be no time to stop for any kind of service or cook ourselves, and we would often also arrive after places had stopped serving dinner or were cleaned out by our competitors. I think we had one lunch that was not bread, which we regretted as the delay it caused meant getting lost for hours in the sahara after dark. We even ate psyllum husks in massive ammounts to make sh1tting a quick job. We had to do a lot of camping, and saw few showers as our late arrivals usually ment no more hotel rooms.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6 Oct 2012
kingkurt's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Three riders on three scooters, completely unsupported. There was a camera crew that was supposed to follow us for a TV production for the Travel Channel, but they didn't like our pace, and wouldn't do the offroad bits we decided to go for - we lost them in Morocco and stumbled upon them a few more times on the tarmac bits - but we carried all our own stuff all the way... Half a scooter in spares, two ten liter jerry cans of fuel per scooter, lots and lots of impossible to get two stroke oil, half a field hospital, massive ammount of tools, two sets of wheels per scooter, camping equipment, and half a change of clothing and no usual "single personal luxury item"... Tools saw heavy usage from daily break downs, including three burned clutches and a shock absorber (luckily we were prepared for this). Traveling this fast, we needed to carry all the likely to go wrong bits of the scooter, which pretty much meant everything... meaning we were really heavy

Due to our choice of bikes, we had to start earlier than everyone else, and we allways finished much later - usually after dark. We lived mostly off of dry bread with apricot jam and water, this as we often had to leave before breakfast service or shops opened for business, and there would be no time to stop for any kind of service or cook ourselves, and we would often also arrive after places had stopped serving dinner or were cleaned out by our competitors. I think we had one lunch that was not bread, which we regretted as the delay it caused meant getting lost for hours in the sahara after dark. We even ate psyllum husks in massive ammounts to make sh1tting a quick job. We had to do a lot of camping, and saw few showers as our late arrivals usually ment no more hotel rooms.

Sounds fantastic, my sort of adventure.

You should drive your scooters to Mongolia next, I drove there a few years ago with my girlfriend totally on our own with no convoy or support at all and its was the most amazing thing I have ever done

We are driving down to Mauritania in a few weeks in a little Citroen Saxo 1.1 which should prove to be fun, fun, fun!

I liked your youtube vids, especially the piste ones as we will be driving those as well

cheers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8 Oct 2012
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 50
poor guy! Made me reconsider my planned beach driving out there!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 8 Oct 2012
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4jk View Post
poor guy! Made me reconsider my planned beach driving out there!
Yes, a poor guy!

Mybe you should be careful, but i think it isnt that big risk..

Wheelie had told, how you should do it. ;-)

Surfy
__________________
Trans-Africa with a Land Cruiser 200 http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 9 Oct 2012
kingkurt's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfy View Post
Yes, a poor guy!

Mybe you should be careful, but i think it isnt that big risk..

Wheelie had told, how you should do it. ;-)

Surfy
Where can I read how to do it, we fancy doin it in our Saxo

Last edited by kingkurt; 9 Oct 2012 at 16:19.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 9 Oct 2012
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
When riding on this beach, stay off the black stuff - it will get you stuck. Speak to the locals about the tide (don't rely on tide tables), and ride on the yellow sand, and it is a breeze

Here is a video of the beach - with me and my pals doing it on Classic Vespa scooters. It starts off with the best camel shot of all time: Day 11. Mauritania, down to the beach - YouTube
you are crazy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22 Mar 2013
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kent,England
Posts: 29
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
In January/February this year, in the Budapest to Bamako Rally, one of the Norwegian contenders, riding a big ATV, got his ATV washed out to sea.

When riding on this beach, stay off the black stuff - it will get you stuck. Speak to the locals about the tide (don't rely on tide tables), and ride on the yellow sand, and it is a breeze

Here is a video of the beach - with me and my pals doing it on Classic Vespa scooters. It starts off with the best camel shot of all time: Day 11. Mauritania, down to the beach - YouTube
That video was brill, made my day.What beach was it?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23 Mar 2013
Super Moderator
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bellingham, WA, USA
Posts: 1,968
Great video! I can't imagine how you burned out all those clutches.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25 Mar 2013
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
In January/February this year, in the Budapest to Bamako Rally, one of the Norwegian contenders, riding a big ATV, got his ATV washed out to sea.

When riding on this beach, stay off the black stuff - it will get you stuck. Speak to the locals about the tide (don't rely on tide tables), and ride on the yellow sand, and it is a breeze

Here is a video of the beach - with me and my pals doing it on Classic Vespa scooters. It starts off with the best camel shot of all time: Day 11. Mauritania, down to the beach - YouTube

just had a quick looksie, you guys have clearly collectively lost the plot
good on ya
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra troyfromtexas Ride Tales 197 22 Apr 2014 19:39
New Event in the UK for 4x4 and Expedition Vehicle Drivers IainHarper 4WD Overland TRAVEL 41 17 May 2013 14:13
TATA military 4x4 truck Bundubasher 4WD for Sale / Wanted 0 2 Jun 2012 18:43
where can i take a 4x4 off road trailer in africa mcagol Route Planning 1 18 Dec 2011 18:40
Commercial Ad: 4X4 expedition equipment Barrie Dunbar 4WD for Sale / Wanted 0 6 Nov 2011 19:38

 
 



Renedian Adventures

HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:11.