Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Middle East (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/middle-east/)
-   -   Going to Syria and Jordan from Turkey (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/middle-east/going-to-syria-jordan-turkey-21326)

bharadwaj 3 May 2006 11:45

Going to Syria and Jordan from Turkey
 
Hi friends, I am an Indian going around the world on my motorbike. I just crossed Iran and entered Turkey. Going to Syria, Jordan and then to Egypt any one traveling in this area...?

santhasz 5 May 2006 12:40

Yes!

A lot of people!

Try to search on HUBB!

Szabi

bharadwaj 7 May 2006 10:36

Hi nice to see u here
 
Hi buddy, at least someone replied, thanks. Been trying to meet someone on the road just to know I am not alone. But not many in this route may be no replies. I am right now in Van, Going to Nemrut Dagi National Park. From there I will proceed to Syria. If u r anywhere near just drop in a line.

santhasz 9 May 2006 06:09

Syria
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bharadwaj
... I am right now in Van, Going to Nemrut Dagi National Park. From there I will proceed to Syria. ...


If you arrived at Syria let us know, if is there unleaded fuel, or al the information you want to share us.

Thx.
Sz.

bharadwaj 11 May 2006 17:40

Reached Sanli Urfa
 
Hi just reached Sanli Urfa in southern Turkey about 60Km to Syrian border. Sure will let u know all the info when I enter Syria tomorrow. Where r u now and where u going?

santhasz 12 May 2006 08:57

I'm at work, not on the road .... :-(

I plan a trip to Jordan and Syria, so I need all information you can give me.

Do you have carnet de passage?
Do you have international drive permit, or just your national?
Do you pay any tax to be allowed to entry in Syria or Jordan?
Do you get back the money when you leave the country?
How much is the insurance?

etc, etc

thx.
Szabi

bharadwaj 17 May 2006 18:05

In Aqaba
 
Hi Reached Aqaba. I thought you were already on road. Yes i have a carnet and international driving permit. Syrian insurance was $44 and Jordan charged me 21JD for 1 month insurance and !!JD for temporary import. dont think they will return that. See u soon on road.

oldbmw 17 May 2006 22:05

what bike?
 
I am curious to know what bike you are riding ?

santhasz 18 May 2006 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharadwaj
Hi Reached Aqaba. I thought you were already on road. Yes i have a carnet and international driving permit. Syrian insurance was $44 and Jordan charged me 21JD for 1 month insurance and !!JD for temporary import. dont think they will return that. See u soon on road.

1. Were you asked at the border for these papers?
2. How much was the temporary import fee? (and why had you pay if you have carnet?)

Thanks
Szabi

mdmystko 18 May 2006 08:46

Santhasz -

In this thread: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-carnet-4219-2 I posted some information about the Carnet in Syria that is probably interesting to you. I hope I can pay back for your great itinerary for Romania :-).

Kris

santhasz 19 May 2006 07:51

Thx!

I ask, because the informations are very ambiguouse! I know people who came back from Syria and said there is no carnet requirement. Others were asked for carnet and had to pay a lot of money for temporary import. At Lonely Planet you can find: "forget unleaded fuel" and after a paragraph they write: fuel, even unleaded, no problem. At Libanon: no carnet but international drive permit, according to LP. Some people say they were there and had neither carnet nor IDP, so I don't know what to think ... maybe because we are foreigners and don't know the local laws, and don't want to wait hours at the borders, we pay some dollar just to be allowed to enter .... or exit.

bharadwaj 27 May 2006 18:23

In Cairo, Egypt
 
Hi I am riding a Honda Karizma. Its an Indian made bike. 223cc. nothing much. And for Jordan I paid 11JD for the permit that alone with your carnet. But Jordan you can manage with a stamp in your passport and temporary permit. Not Syria. They need carnet. And you need to have a IDP and drivers license. You cant say who will ask for it. Petrol is available but quality is doubtful unleaded or not. Presently in Cairo.

Mombassa 28 May 2006 07:29

Thanks for the good info. We're in Turkey at the moment and are planning to move through Syria to Jordan, Lebanon and back. I then make a right turn to Iran etc., and my travel partner returns to Greece etc. Bharadwaj, you said you needed a carnet for Syria, but we've inquired numerous times in Holland, ADAC in Germany and now at the Syrian Consulate in Istanbul and they all said my travel partner does not need a carnet. I have one, so we're going to try and get across without a carnet, and worst case he needs to turn back and I keep going. Did they ask for a carnet or did you just present it to them?

bharadwaj 29 May 2006 19:59

In Luxor
 
I Entered Syria from Akchakale border which is very small and always closed. I was the only one entering the border. The Turkish officers said its no problem for Turkey but the Syrians may not allow. So they took my passport and went to the Syrian post and asked and returned with a NO then I said I have all documents and showed them the Carnet. They took it to them again and said ok. So I think they need a carnet. There are situations which u can magage without one always. but if u dont mind turning back. I m right now in Luxor, Egypt will be coming back to Jordan by 5th and then to Syria. Keep in touch. hope to meet u somewhere.
BJ

Mombassa 29 May 2006 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharadwaj
I Entered Syria from Akchakale border which is very small and always closed. I was the only one entering the border. The Turkish officers said its no problem for Turkey but the Syrians may not allow. So they took my passport and went to the Syrian post and asked and returned with a NO then I said I have all documents and showed them the Carnet. They took it to them again and said ok. So I think they need a carnet. There are situations which u can magage without one always. but if u dont mind turning back. I m right now in Luxor, Egypt will be coming back to Jordan by 5th and then to Syria. Keep in touch. hope to meet u somewhere.
BJ

Thanks for the info. We're heading East now in Turkey and will cross on the main road to Aleppo around the 20th. Maybe we'll see you there. I'm interested to hear about your Iran/Pakistan crossing, as that is now more of a concern. I need to get to Pakistan as well. Have fun.

Kevin


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:01.


vB.Sponsors