The Achievable Dream 5-part series - the definitive guide on DVD for planning your motorcycle adventure. Get Ready! covers planning, paperwork, medical and many other topics! "Inspirational and Awesome!" See the trailer here!
Gear Up! is a 2-DVD set, 6 hours! Which bike is right for me? How do I prepare the bike? What stuff do I need - riding gear, clothing, camping gear, first aid kit, tires, maps and GPS? What don't I need? How do I pack it all in? Lots of opinions from over 150 travellers! "This DVD will save you a fortune!"See the trailer here!
So you've done it - got inspired, planned your trip, packed your stuff and you're on the road! This section is about staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure. And crossing borders, war zones or oceans!
On the Road! is 5.5 hours of the tips and advice you need to cross borders, break down language barriers, overcome culture shock, ship the bike and deal with breakdowns and emergencies."Just makes me want to pack up and go!" See the trailer here!
Tire Changing!Grant demystifies the black art of Tire Changing and Repair to help you STAY on the road! "Very informative and practical." See the trailer here!
Ladies on the Loose! For the first time ever, a motorcycle travel DVD made for women, by women! These intrepid women share their tips to help you plan your own motorcycle adventure. They also answer the women-only questions, and entertain you with amazing tales from the road! Presented by Lois Pryce, veteran solo traveller through South America and Africa and author of 'Lois on the Loose', and 'Red Tape and White Knuckles.'
"It has me all fired up to go out on my own adventure!" See the trailer here!
We're not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown a hobby into a full time job and a labour of love.
When you decide to become a Member, it helps directly support the site. You get additional privileges on the HUBB, access to the Members Private Store, and more to come as we roll out new systems. Of course, you get our sincere thanks, good karma and knowing you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. :-)
Travel BooksMotorcycle and travel books to inspire and inform you!
DVDs - Watch and Learn!
Horizons Unlimited presents!
Achievable Dream The definitive guide to planning your motorcycle adventure! This insanely ambitious 2-year project has produced an informative and entertaining 5-part, 18 hour DVD series. "The ultimate round the world rider's how-to DVD!" MCN UK.
Collectors Box SetAll 5 DVDs with a custom printed slip case. "The series is 'free' because the tips and advice will save much more than you spend on buying the DVD's."
Advertisers- Horizons Unlimited is well-established as the first source of reliable, unbiased information on all aspects of motorcycle travel.
We reach a dedicated, worldwide group of real travellers, and are the only website focusing exclusively on long distance motorcycle travellers.
If you sell motorcycles or motorcycle accessories, riding gear, camping equipment and clothing, transport motorcycles, organize motorcycle tours, or have motorcycles to rent, you should be advertising with us!
With just a week to go, I thought it was about time to post a reminder of all the great stuff there is to look forward to at the Ripley meeting.
For the complete list of presenters, the downloadable presentation schedule, plus general event info including how to register if you haven't already, see the main Ripley page here.
- We have nearly 50 presenters, a quarter of whom are presenting for the very first time.
- With only a few exceptions, ALL the presentations are brand new this year. They include an updated version of Dave Lomax's ever-popular "Underweight is Underprepared", Austin Vince's show-stopping Saturday night gig, and Ted Simon giving a new talk about his journeys around the world and the Foundation created in his name.
- All the presentations will start promptly on the hour. Most will last about 40 minutes, although there are a few double-sessions including Sjaak Lucassen, Scooters in the Sahara, Tim Cullis on GPS navigation and Morocco, and another brand new session from Austin Vince about how to film your adventures.
- Some of the sessions in the main "Africa" room are going to filmed (and streamed to the big screen in the marquee). If you want to attend a presentation, please avoid interrupting the presenter and any filming by getting to the room before the session starts.
- A favour please.... if you have questions for the presenters at the end of a session, please take them outside to the bar, the marquee or the "South America" room. This really helps the changeover from one presentation to the next.
- In the same way as the last two years, we'll be operating a strict one-way system in and out of both the "Africa" and "Asia" presentation rooms to make movement around the narrow corridors much easier. Please don't be the one person who always thinks they're exempt - it's all done to make everyone's life easier.
- As requested after last year's event, we've made sure that as many sessions are repeated as possible so that there's less chance of you having to miss something you really want to see.
- Kindly standing-in for Grant, Graham Matcham from Continental Tyres will give a 2+ hour tyre changing demo from 2pm in the marquee on the Friday afternoon.
- Danny Taylor and Fil Schiannini are back again with another RoadKill Cookout around the bonfire from 3pm on Saturday - this year with some Thai Green Curry surprises!
- The Slow Bike Race, which proved really popular last year, is back again with bikes supplied by Reiju Motorcycles. It's taking place at 10am on the Saturday in the lower camping field. The first 27 people to register for it will get to take part.
- The Bike Show will be in the main car park from 12pm on the Saturday. See the event page for details of categories.
- Starting at 1pm in the marquee on Saturday, Ed March will be doing a live engine rebuild on his famous Honda C90. It'll be against the clock to help raise money for Motorcycle Outreach. You'll be able to buy a ticket and guess how long the rebuild will take. The closest guess will win a special prize!
- All competition prizes will be presented in the 9pm session on the Saturday night in the "Africa" room (also streamed to the marquee). This session will include a live web chat with Grant and Susan in Canada.
- All funds from raffle ticket sales and car parking will be going to Motorcycle Outreach
- Raffle prizes already include a £200 voucher from Brittany Ferries, 12 month subscriptions to RiDE and MCN, a voucher for a pair of tyres from Continental Tyres, the hire of a Suzuki V-Strom DL650 with topbox for 3 days and 2 nights from Saltire Suzuki in Edinburgh, signed copies of all four of Sam Manicom's books and Adventures in Yellow by Norman Magowan, plus two motorcycle jackets and a scarf from Turcano Urbano. Many more will be added to the pile during the event.
- The main raffle draw will take place in the marquee at 5pm on the Saturday, with a second draw for any unclaimed prizes at 10am on the Sunday.
- We have some planned - details to follow shortly!
- Stevie Simpson - "one man and his mandolin" - will be providing the musical entertainment around the bonfire from 11pm. See the main event page for a video sample of Stevie doing his thing.
Vendors and Travel Authors:
- As well as Rieju Motorcycles and AJP Motos (with their new prototype bike), Suzuki's event truck will be there with some V-Stroms to test ride.
- Traveldri-Plus, Touratech, Metal Mule, James Cargo, Adventure-Spec and many others will be there to tempt you with shiny new stuff.
- Ted Simon, Sam Manicom, Austin Vince, Sjaak Lucassen, Paddy Tyson, Graham Field, Rollo Turner, Jerome Bullard and maybe one or two other travel authors will all be in the marquee to sign copies of their books (and Ted Simon's new book will be available too).
That's probably more than enough info for now. See you all next week.
I'm already booked for Ripley, but after a chat with Sam at a recent bike show, I'd like to volunteer. He asked me to put my name down on the site in advance of the event but I can't work out how. Any advice, anyone?
That's great - many thanks - all help very welcome. Just complete this page with details of what you'd be interested in doing and Sam will get back to you.
See you there next week.
PS. Good to see someone else from Hitchin on the HUBB
I'm already booked for Ripley, but after a chat with Sam at a recent bike show, I'd like to volunteer. He asked me to put my name down on the site in advance of the event but I can't work out how.
Any advice, anyone?
Hi Richard, apologies for not getting back to you myself. Somehow I missed your post with all that's going on. So glad Iain is more on the ball than I am and has got back to you already. Looking forward to seeing you again. And thanks for volunteering to help - much appreciated!!!!
Just a couple of days to go. Have to say that the big kid is coming out in me now. Smiles and excitement this end. Going to be brilliant to link up with friends old and new!
Hi -this year I have to use my small VW Camper to come to the event instead of my bike and tent. I would have my bike on a trailer - is there room for this? Also where exactly on site are Campers going to be? It says at the top of the bottom field but which one do you mean by that?
Cheers, looking forward to yet another great event.
We've made some great progress with the set up since yesterday afternoon - all the presentations rooms are ready, the marquee is being constructed, registration and gate tents are up, and the AV gear is being sorted out.
Quite a few people are already here and the volunteers are doing a fantastic job getting everything organised.
And the weather... is actually looking pretty promising. We've had some light showers this morning, but it's nice and warm and the sun has even been making some appearances. The forecast seems to be improving for the weekend - fingers crossed
We'll be putting some photos up on the HU Facebook page later on.
The weather has finally turned, so Gear Up for your motorcycle travel adventure! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - Gear Up! 2-DVD set until June 30 only.
Which bike, how to prepare it, what else to take, how to pack it all in! 6 hours!
"It's another great job, informative and entertaining."
"It's really professional and full of useful information, a must for any traveler."
Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'GEARUP' on your order when you checkout.
What others say about HU...
"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA
"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada
"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia
"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.
You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or
to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and
knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.