Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Europe (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/)
-   -   Tourist rouute through the Alps (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/tourist-rouute-through-the-alps-55174)

mcguyver 28 Jan 2011 20:20

Tourist rouute through the Alps
 
Planning a tour through Europe in June and am looking for suggestions.

Will be going to the IOM TT then across to the South of France and and across the alps to Austria, then back to Mugello for Italian moto GP.

will have around 4 weeks on the Continent.

Have found the tourist route "route de Grande Alps" which goes from the Nice across all the major passes of the French alps.

Is there a similar "Tourist" route that would take in the best of the Swiss and Italian alps?

All suggestions welcome.

Hochalmspitze 28 Jan 2011 21:34

Greetings from Austria
 
Hi

I run a bikers hotel is southern Austria and can help with suggestions here in Austria,Northern Italy and Slovenia. The Grossglockner is a must do in Austria and there are several other less well know but fantastic roads to ride. We had a couple from Brisbane here last summer (with their own bike). I could put you in touch with them if you like. Sounds like you are planning a very similar trip to theirs.

John

oldbmw 28 Jan 2011 22:02

Wish I knew about your bikers hotel :(

is this the place ?

http://www.our-site.me.uk/bike/larry...reenwidth=1024

http://www.our-site.me.uk/bike/larry...reenwidth=1024

I went from Albertville in France over the pass to Mont Blanc then followed the road down towards Torino before heading up to Merino from Milan. Note the toll to use the road is 14 euros :(

MW2K8 28 Jan 2011 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hochalmspitze (Post 321734)
Hi

I run a bikers hotel is southern Austria and can help with suggestions here in Austria,Northern Italy and Slovenia. The Grossglockner is a must do in Austria and there are several other less well know but fantastic roads to ride. We had a couple from Brisbane here last summer (with their own bike). I could put you in touch with them if you like. Sounds like you are planning a very similar trip to theirs.

John

John,
Have you got a website link for your hotel? I'm also planning a similar tour in August

Similarly Saab, Have you a link for a map of your 'grande tour' ?

Cheers folks

Matt

Redboots 28 Jan 2011 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by saab463 (Post 321722)
Planning a tour through Europe in June and am looking for suggestions.

Years ago, the "Touren Fahrer" magazine in Germany published a great route covering the Alps from east to west. No reason why you cant do it in reverse:scooter:

I have an old and basic page with map images on my website that tells you the route, originally planned for 24 passes, but we did 27 as the one of the passes was closed - snow, so we had to detour.

Anyway, just a suggestion and as always, be flexible.

Cheers,
John

mcguyver 29 Jan 2011 01:45

Thanks John
Your 24 in 4 ride looks great. Will check it out some more.

Please post up the link to your hotel and if posible we will come a stay a night or 2.

Guy

Hochalmspitze 29 Jan 2011 08:14

My Website link
 
Hi

My hotel is called Gasthof Hochalmspitze here is the website link
Gasthof Hochalmspitze ยท Gasthof Hochalmspitze is an English owned, family-run hotel located in Maltatal, Austria. We provide hotel accomodation to visitors of undiscovered Austria, in the province of Carinthia

You will see that our guests don't have to pay for Grossglockner etc.
Leaves more money to spend in the bar latter!beer

John

Flyingdoctor 29 Jan 2011 08:50

I've used this site before. Good info on current road conditions.

"www.AlpineRoads.com - The Best Biking Roads In The Alps"

Hochalmspitze 29 Jan 2011 10:32

Don't believe everything you read.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor (Post 321789)
I've used this site before. Good info on current road conditions.

"www.AlpineRoads.com - The Best Biking Roads In The Alps"


Just don't believe everything it says about the passes! I can't speak about other areas but the comments about some passes local to me are just plain wrong.

John

Redboots 29 Jan 2011 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hochalmspitze (Post 321793)
Just don't believe everything it says about the passes! I can't speak about other areas but the comments about some passes.... are just plain wrong.

+1

Best resource I found was John Hermann's book "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Beyond"
Just good info without trying to hype it all up for the sports bikers.

Cheers,
John


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:11.


vB.Sponsors