Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Europe

Europe Topics specific to Western and Eastern Europe, from UK to the Russian border, and south-east to Turkey.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2003
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
re-register bike in germany?

does anyone know if there is any trouble in riding an unregistred bike (no stickers on the numberplate) through eu-europe, apart from germany (german bike)?
anyone familiar with the re-regestration procedure?
does anyone know how to register (and which costs and paperwork are involved) a german bike(eu-bike) in another eu-country?
thanks andi
Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2003
Steve Pickford's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,025
To register a EU registered bike in the UK, you must do the following:

1. Get it through an M.O.T. test using the frame number instead of the original foreign registration number. Speedo must read in MPH and headlight must either be a left dipping UK spec item or mask off the triangle shaped part of the lens so that the light does not dip to the right, blinding oncoming oncoming vehicles.

2. You must get UK insurannce.

3. Take the original foreign documents for the bike, the MOT certificate and your insurance to the local DVLA office. You have to buy a minimum of 6 months UK road tax (£35.00?) and will also charge you either £25.00 or £40.00 for the registration.

4. The original foreign documents will be faxed to the Embassy of country of previous registration to confirm legality and that the bike is not stolen.

5. Once you've paid, DVLA will tell you your new UK registration number. Go & get a number plate made up (most bike shops or car accessory shops).

6. UK paperwork should arrive within a week or two. I think (but am nit sure?) that you need a UK address.

ApOlogies if I've forgotten anything. It's quite easy, done this a couple of times but not for just over a year.

My photos: www.possu.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2003
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Erlangen, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 9
I couldn't figure where your bike is registered already. Best way is asking the ADAC which is the German Automobil Club (www.adac.de). They just know everything and are very helpfull!
But let me try
If your Bike is registered in Germany you will need the TUEV-Certifcate (TUEV or DEKRA is everywhere, just go to the next Servicestattion/Car repair and ask).
Tax you have to pay at the Finanzamt. You get a stiker there on the numberplate after paying.
Then you need an insurance which covers all of the EU countries/Western Europe. Go to an Agency, the biggest is Allianz. They even work together with banks like Dresdner Bank or Sparkasse. You will find them everywhere even. Ask for the Gruene Versicherungskarte (Green Insurance Card). This you must take with you if you are outside of Germany.
However, the European Countries usually don't care about the german stickers, just make sure you have the insurance!
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:24.