Originally Posted by usl
Rovinj instead of Rijeka ... it should have been.....
Here some tips i've sent a fellow romanian traveller...
This is a great route! Here few tips:
- don't miss the canyon of river Tara in Monte Negro. It's stunning and
very nice with deep clifs. Also, the coast is very nice (Kotor, Herceg novi...).
- mind the coastal road from Makarska to Split. You'll get stuck in
heavy trafic and there's nothing really to see. Instead take the
parallel road (route 62, Kozica - Katuni - Dugopolje).
- Trogir is worth seeing - very small but also very nice, UNESCO world
- Sibenik also - small and cozy with an great old town
- the coastal road from Zadar to Karlobag, Senj and Rijeka is just
plain great! It winds along the coast and the tarmac is very good.
Especially beautyfull is the part from Zadar to Senj)
- mind Rijeka - it's an industrial town.
- in general, the traffic around Rijeka tends to be very, very thick.
Opatija is made for guest with a lot of $$$ in their pockets but it can
be nice to have a stop for a coffe. Bare in mind that the traffic
around Rijeka and Opatija is very, very heavy, even for a motorbike and
you could end up spending even one hour to get to Opatija.
- the peninsula of Istria (the triangle Rijeka - Pula - Trieste) is
very nice with a lot of private pensions, family restaurants and
domestic food. If you don't have the time to visit the inland of
Istria, at least have a stop in Groznjan on the way to Portoroz and
Slovenia. Groznjan is a very nice little town for maybe few hundret
people based on a top a small hil. It's very scenic.
- regarding Trieste, if you do plan to continue to Alps, then this is
ok. If you just want to reach Austria, take into consideration to mind
Trieste and to ride through Slovenia as the west of Slovenia and the
Julian Alps with lakes Bled and Bohinj are beautyfull...
One final tip for Montenegro and Croatia:
whenever you come, you'll have a great time but, is possible, try to
re-shedule your trip to June or September. The coast is a touristic
place and it does get very crowded during July and August. The traffic
gets heavy, especially with mindless touristic people and it might
influence your holiday.