Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Europe (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/)
-   -   In which countries is it possible to buy®ister w/o reside (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/countries-possible-buy-register-w-19038)

Danh088 29 Aug 2002 17:20

In which countries is it possible to buy®ister w/o reside
Which countries is it possible(easiest) to buy and register a bike without residency/citizenship? As in buy a used bike and be able to legally ride it. Do plates/insurance transfer when you buy?
I've always wanted to buy a bike in Europe but never got a straight answer on this issue. I'd love to get something cheap(<$1000E), travel for a few months on it and sell it for airfare home.

Any help appreciated!

Danh088 29 Aug 2002 20:17

Found a great link, answered my question:


So, from what I understood, I can register a bike pretty much anywhere in EU with 'tourist tags'. Must have GC insurance first so I'm sure there'll be some paperwork hassles. Can anyone expand on this? Know where the best market for cheap bikes is?

onlycookie 2 Sep 2002 20:06

You can get a bike in Germany - but this would be the one limit where I'd doublecheck to get a bike that would still carry you long!
IF you buy a bike here with roadworthyness the chances are VERY good to get a good one - German roadworthyness is supposed to be one of the toughest - and vehicles must pass every two years...

I could help you with that around here if you want.
Just drop me a mail...
P.S. You should allow at least 2 weeks and a fair range of bikes you would choose from...

You should make sure you can insure it and register it here before you buy though...
If you are not in extreme need of the money for your vehicle you can store it at our place for a little fee...

[This message has been edited by onlycookie (edited 02 September 2002).]

El Penguino 10 Sep 2002 19:46

The UK has no problem with non-residents buying vehicles , although it takes 6 weeks or so to get the owners document changed over ( normally , could be done in one week by post with registered letter and cover note , or may be done in person at DVLA office ) .No passport is required for this transaction , just an address to send the papers to .

Theoretically most of my UK insurance policies covered me for short duration trips to the continent , although I canĀLt see that becoming a problem for longer trips . Bike insurance companies give the impression that having a UK license will make the insurance cheaper , but your age and postcode are more important , and the bike too .

But bikes are generally more expensive in the UK than , say , Germany , by 10-15%


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:09.