Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Europe

Europe Topics specific to Western and Eastern Europe, from UK to the Russian border, and south-east to Turkey.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2010
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tripoli, Libya
Posts: 22
Can an American get a carnet for a locally-purchased motorcycle in Europe?

Can a US citizen get a carnet for a locally-purchased bike in Europe, presumably from that country's automobile association?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010
mj's Avatar
mj mj is offline
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 310
I just checked the ADAC's (Germany's biggest automobile association) website and nowhere does it say you need to be German in order to get it. However there seems to be a difference between applying for a carnet as resident of Germany and applying for a carnet as non-resident alien.

Application (resident, PDF): http://www1.adac.de/images/Carnet%20de%20Passages_Antrag(komplett)_%20deutsch _tcm8-166333.pdf
Application (non-resident, PDF): http://www1.adac.de/images/b_downpdf.gif

Maybe just call them and ask?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2010
beddhist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Whangarei, NZ
Posts: 2,227
The email for the ADAC is: carnetdepassages [at] adac.de

I also suggest you contact the CAA and if all fails there is an older post here that says that the Touring Club de Suisse will issue carnets for foreigners under some circumstances.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Europe to NZ 2006-10
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,518

TECHNICALLY you have to get the carnet from your country's issuing authority for carnets - for Americans and Canadians, that's the CAA - link on the links page for several carnet authorities - could always use more if you have them!

Suzanne Danis at the CAA is very good and very helpful, she's been at it for a long time - gave us our first carnet in 1987! Tell her HU sent you.

Some authorities WERE doing it for non-residents, chief among them ADAC, but the issue has been raised by others and as a result cracked down on by the AIT (THE head of carnets worldwide).

IF your country does NOT have a Carnet issuing authority, e.g. Russia, you can go to ANY issuing authority and they are ALLOWED to give you a carnet if you pass their criteria - i.e. pay them enough. Does NOT mean they have to.

Hope that helps!
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010
beddhist's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Whangarei, NZ
Posts: 2,227
Thanks for that clarification. One thing I am still confused about: "your" country means country of citizenship, residence or registration of vehicle?

Europe to NZ 2006-10
Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Posts: 549
Please do let us know how you get on. Re the ADAC carnet - I was under the impression they'd stopped issuing them to non-German residents in non-German registered vehicles.

I posted on this yesterday, but then the post got deleted when the HUBB was upgraded. Apologies if it looks like I am seeking to hijack this thread, but I think the issue of whether or not non-German residents can get ADAC Carnet, and whether or not it applies to non-German registered vehicles is worth clarifying for many, many people.

MJ's links don't work, but try this one from the ADAC website today:-

This is pretty much identical to the one I filled out in Feb 07, when I applied for a German carnet on a UK-registered vehicle. I had the use of a German address to do it from, but the only difference this made was that I could go to the local ADAC branch in Hannover where I was staying and do it in person. I was told categorically at the time I could still have applied even if I had done so from the UK, by post to the Munich HQ.

Nowhere on this application form does it say the Carnet is not available to non-German residents in non-German registered vehicles. If this is true, it is great news for a lot of overlanders.

Am I reading it right?
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American applying for Carnet...the damage Farfetch Trip Paperwork 11 1 Oct 2008 06:08
Registration/Insurance for bike purchased in Kazakh and riden thru Stans to Europe. Braaart Trip Paperwork 0 13 Jun 2007 12:55
Central + South American Carnet Needs mattpope Trip Paperwork 9 25 Jan 2004 05:30
motorcycle guide book for pan american? JimmyGO!! South America 2 6 Jun 2002 03:33
Carnet potential American in India kipper Trip Paperwork 0 30 Jun 2001 18:40


NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.

Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35.