Buying a car in Europe - how do I do it, and what paperwork?
I am an American and will be visiting Europe and West Africa in January 2008. I would like to purchase a car in Germany, probably a Mercedes, and use it for my trip to Morocco and Mauritania, then sell it when I am finished. I have a few questions and am really hoping someone can help me with them:
1. What paperwork (registering the car, etc.) will I need to do when I purchase the car in Germany?
2. Is it true I can quickly obtain export tags for the car, to use for 2 weeks as I drive to Morocco?
3. What taxes will I have to pay on the car?
4. About how much will liability insurance cost, for a Mercedes with a value of 4,000 euro? And can I buy this insurance for 2 weeks or 1 month (instead of six months or a year?)
5. Is all European insurance Green Card insurance that also covers Morocco?
6. Is there anything else I should consider when purchasing a car in Germany or elsewhere in Europe?
Thank you to anyone who can help me.