Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Europe (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/)
-   -   Am I too Loud for Europe? (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/am-i-too-loud-europe-66433)

Upchuck64 26 Sep 2012 00:43

Am I too Loud for Europe?
I would like to bring my 2005 Bonneville and ride Europe. This said I have modified the bike with British Customs Predator mufflers and they are quite loud. Is there many issues with bikes of this type when travelling in Europe?

Pongo 27 Sep 2012 10:09

In France the law on various aspects of bike 'conformity' is a nightmare. For bikes registered outside France, it's not quite so bad, BUT having said that, the law enforcement agents ( the Gendarmerie) can be picky, and if they think that you are being too loud, the might stop you. They have been known to check European Homologation numbers on end cans to establish conformity, but that only ususally happens if they want to build up a case against you for another infraction, and generally speaking they only do it to French registered bikes. A large number of bikes in France have after market cans, and some are really noisy, so I wouldn't worry too much, just keep off the throttle in towns! and keep any removable baffles in place! Be aware though, that as you are a foreign visitor, a Gendarme who thinks you are breaking the law ( and who are you to argue!) may fine you on the spot. A minimum offence could cost you either €35 or €68.( depending on whether he/she's had his/her breakfast or not!!)

Upchuck64 29 Sep 2012 18:29

Thx Pongo, next advise asked is what is your opinion of renting in europe vs own bike.

2499 7 Oct 2012 12:29

You will be fine ,as long as you don´t have local number plates.


Walkabout 7 Oct 2012 12:58


Originally Posted by 2499 (Post 395325)
You will be fine ,as long as you don´t have local number plates.


I think this is the case, even though the earlier post refers to on the spot fines (which is a common punishment in France for road offences).

Certainly in the UK, the authorities know that there is a lot of paperwork to be done if an overseas registration number is to be prosecuted = we don't have on the spot fines (i.e. the UK police don't have those powers hence they tend to concentrate on UK registrations only, as do street parking wardens, for instance - but beware of parking on private land, that is a whole different "game").

As for hiring; there is lots of discussion in threads here about hiring Vs buying overseas Vs bringing in your own bike.
Check out the insurance forum as one issue that crops up all the time.

stickysidedown 30 Dec 2012 22:23

Technically yes, but I've done many 10's of thousands of km's around West/East Europe & Scandinavia on a litre twin with baffleless pipes and many more here in the UK.

It's never been an issue but just don't cry if it becomes so.

and enjoy in the meantime

Donmanolo 30 Dec 2012 22:35

Might be wise to stay away from Switzerland, . There were a few police patrols last summer on the mountain passes near the Italian border. I was stopped on the Fuorn Pass, along with a whole lot of other bikers, and apparently if my aftermarket exhaust hadn't had clearly visible E-conformity markings then it would have been expensive to say the least. My bike isn't even very noisy, and it was a random spot check. The coppers were rather nasty, even compared to our own rather unsavoury Italian ones.

Drwnite 31 Dec 2012 06:04


Originally Posted by Upchuck64 (Post 393950)
British Custom Predator mufflers and they are quite loud. Is there many issues with bikes of this type when travelling in Europe?

Be see and heard !

Pheebs 31 Dec 2012 12:57

We've just been through Europe (France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland (where they are baffle lovers) and Italy) with 2 x KTM 690 Enduro R's 2012s - one with an akropovic exhaust and the other a Scorpion both with the baffles out. They are heart thumpingly noisy... and we managed all borders and many many tunnels without a problem!! We just made sure we glided through borders on our clutches and then sloooowly pulled off beyond ;)

We've heard some stories of fines and what... but fortunately we've been dandy :) Good luck with your final decision!

Andysr6 31 Dec 2012 13:16

Hi, it could be a problem, I know a few people on UK bikes that have been fined, in Germany and in France. Andy

chris gale 3 Feb 2013 17:02

When you bought your bike it shouldve come with the EU certificate of conformity - my new Pan did . If you change the exhaust then that item should also come with such a certificate . You should have that certificate with you when you travel thru EU countries such as Germany ( in particular ) who get a stiffie over TUV regulations as if you are stopped and you cant produce said certificate then you could be stopped from riding that machine in said country as your vehicle isnt type approved , as youve changed it from standard - make sense ? The same goes for screens etc etc - if you have ever bought an Mra screen then you wouldve got one of those certificates with it as well .

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:12.