Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Equipment, Travel > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post YOUR REVIEWS of ANY Motorcycle, Camping or Travel Equipment and accessories. Tell us what worked and didn't work for you!
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Parts & accessories for adventure touring motorcycles including GPS mounts, panniers, luggage, protection, dry bags, camping gear, tools, books & DVDs.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 120
Khyam fold out tent - 2 person

This is just a quick initial review of the Khyam tent with the folding poles. My tent is a 2 person dome without the tunnel bit at the front i.e. only has 2 poles all together.

This is ideal for me on my own with biking gear or also good when i go away with the missus with the car.

I got the tent because it was very fast to put up and take down and can confirm that (excluding pegs) you can out it up / take it down in about 20 seconds. Since it's a dome that means it will be good for stony areas since the pegs are not really needed for it to keep it's shape though the ones at the front doorway are needed to keep the outer skin tight and stop it touching the inner mesh. Speaking of which the inner and outer are joined together i.e. there's no need to put the outer then inner up or vice versa.
To put the tent up it is as simple as take it out the bag, pull the centre (top) up and unfold 4 hinged poles and viola you just need to peg it. The thought of threading poles through bits of tent (as my last dome tent) seems like far too much work now and when you're on the road making and breaking camp is always a PITA so this is great.

There are some bad points though - no.1 is the size it's not as small as I'd like for a 2 person dome though to be fair it does have an inner and outer and is tall enough to sit in though the sleeping compartment is only just long enough for me as 6 foot.
No.2. is that the seams are not fully sealed and they give you a tube and instructions to do it at home, for a rrp of £125 i'd expect them to do it for me and worry i wouldn't do it right and so maybe it's not fully waterproof?
No.3. I would prefer Alu 'V' shaped pegs to the steel pin type this seems a bit cheap maybe?
No.4. the groundsheet is very thin - probably why they sell a seperate one I would worry this would perforate or wear through. I think most modern tents have a thin groundsheet though.

So overall it's very good but not perfect and I would recommend one is you want a tent that is quick to put up and take down.

Incidentally mine was £65 as last years models are being sold off.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 Jan 2008
mattcbf600's Avatar
Gold Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 706
Great review - thank you :-)

m
__________________
------------------
http://thelondonbiker.com/blog

Watch some of my camp cooking videos

AIM: mattcashmore
SKYPE: matthewcashmore
MSN: matthew@matthewcashmore.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sax, Spain
Posts: 919
Brilliant tent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
There are some bad points though - no.1 is the size it's not as small as I'd like for a 2 person dome though to be fair it does have an inner and outer and is tall enough to sit in though the sleeping compartment is only just long enough for me as 6 foot.
No.2. is that the seams are not fully sealed and they give you a tube and instructions to do it at home, for a rrp of £125 i'd expect them to do it for me and worry i wouldn't do it right and so maybe it's not fully waterproof?
No.3. I would prefer Alu 'V' shaped pegs to the steel pin type this seems a bit cheap maybe?
No.4. the groundsheet is very thin - probably why they sell a seperate one I would worry this would perforate or wear through. I think most modern tents have a thin groundsheet though.

So overall it's very good but not perfect and I would recommend one is you want a tent that is quick to put up and take down.

Incidentally mine was £65 as last years models are being sold off.
1. sleep diagonally! thats what I did in mine!
2. if you seal them yourself, and they leak, you only have yourself to blame... i reseal ALL tents weather done at the factory or not.
3. steel although heavier are better as if bent can be straightened, the ally ones snap...
4 use a piece thick poly the same size as the tent floor underneath, makes for a cleaner tent when packing away too.


BIG TIP!! DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BIKE KEYS IN THE INSIDE POCKET OF THE TENT WHEN YOU PACK IT AWAY........


Martyn
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10 Jan 2008
stuxtttr's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutterworth,Midlands, UK
Posts: 471
I have one of these and its a brilliant tent, never had any leaks or breaks even in torrential downpours. Its not great in gales and I just got some lighter pegs. I have never used it on the bike as I find it too bulky but its great for car camping.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: sunny England
Posts: 789
sounds like you have the one below mine with the two alu poles to hold up the porch? i have the eiger with a vestibule at the front. (its yours with a bit more storage space, same inner tent)

to answer some of your points,
1; to me, packed size and weight are most important, so i decide what i can pack on the bike then get the biggest tent that will suit. to be honest, you cant have too much room, can you? the QE system takes a bit of room so you could have a bigger tent for the packed size, but to me its worth it. i was going to look into getting the next size up with the bigger vestibule in fact.
2; i thought exactly that when i got the tent, so i rang the supplier and they said khyam now seal the seams from new and the instructions and tube of sealer are supplied 'just in case', and to be fair the tents never leaked a drop in some horrendous downpours.
3; peg preference- is exactly that, YOUR preference. if they supplied all the types of pegs people preferred there would be a world shortage of Al, Ti and steel! if you dont like them, go shopping mate.
4; i also thought the groundsheet was too thin so i got the tailormade footprint from khyam, it makes all the difference and also 'floors' the vestibule, so you dont tread on so many slugs in bare feet in the mornings. its handy because you can roll the tent in it as you pack and its much easier to slip into the tent bag.

i like it, people will say its too bulky to take on a bike but it goes across the panniers nicely. i pack it in a large ortleib dry bag with a folding armchair, dont see the point of slumming it
__________________
dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: sunny England
Posts: 789
Talking not just me then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynbiker View Post

BIG TIP!! DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BIKE KEYS IN THE INSIDE POCKET OF THE TENT WHEN YOU PACK IT AWAY........


Martyn
HAHAHA not just me then, i done it with my passport and ticket once, had to unpack everything at bilbao ferry terminal!! got up in the morning, all organized, put everything i would need in a wallet then stashed it safely in the tent pocket while i packed up.
__________________
dave
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Caminando's Avatar
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DogZone Country
Posts: 1,227
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
This is just a quick initial review of the Khyam tent with the folding poles. My tent is a 2 person dome without the tunnel bit at the front i.e. only has 2 poles all together.

This is ideal for me on my own with biking gear or also good when i go away with the missus with the car.

I got the tent because it was very fast to put up and take down and can confirm that (excluding pegs) you can out it up / take it down in about 20 seconds. Since it's a dome that means it will be good for stony areas since the pegs are not really needed for it to keep it's shape though the ones at the front doorway are needed to keep the outer skin tight and stop it touching the inner mesh. Speaking of which the inner and outer are joined together i.e. there's no need to put the outer then inner up or vice versa.
To put the tent up it is as simple as take it out the bag, pull the centre (top) up and unfold 4 hinged poles and viola you just need to peg it. The thought of threading poles through bits of tent (as my last dome tent) seems like far too much work now and when you're on the road making and breaking camp is always a PITA so this is great.

There are some bad points though - no.1 is the size it's not as small as I'd like for a 2 person dome though to be fair it does have an inner and outer and is tall enough to sit in though the sleeping compartment is only just long enough for me as 6 foot.
No.2. is that the seams are not fully sealed and they give you a tube and instructions to do it at home, for a rrp of £125 i'd expect them to do it for me and worry i wouldn't do it right and so maybe it's not fully waterproof?
No.3. I would prefer Alu 'V' shaped pegs to the steel pin type this seems a bit cheap maybe?
No.4. the groundsheet is very thin - probably why they sell a seperate one I would worry this would perforate or wear through. I think most modern tents have a thin groundsheet though.

So overall it's very good but not perfect and I would recommend one is you want a tent that is quick to put up and take down.

Incidentally mine was £65 as last years models are being sold off.
A detailed review... I agree about the thin groundsheet - very disappointing. I have to carry another thicker one to stick below. Also they are a little bit too long when packed, but it's worth it when you have a tent which erects (oops!) so quickly. I dont want to go back to conventional tents after using this for a few years. I've got the Eiger one with no external porch, as I wanted the smallest they make.

I decided to get one after a memorable winter's night near Le Havre - wind howling, rain lashing, pitch black, trying to insert the poles in a conventional tent which was flapping all over the place, etc, etc. Sheer wet hell. By the time I got in I was soaked through. I cried myself to sleep, as you do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts: 270
Hi

I bought a Kyham Freelander last year and Im very impressed with it.

It is a large pack size and I think it wieghs about 9kg but I bought it for the following reasons

1. its simple to put up by myself, takes me about 5 mins to get it errect and bedroom fitted.

2. it has a huge porch, big enough to stand up in (my knees and back are knackered and it means i can stand up to get dressed in the mornings).

3. I also didnt buy the kyham groundsheet but a one which covers the whole length of the tent, this means the bedroom part never touches the ground.

Size and weight doesnt really matter as I strap it across my pillion seat.
I also ride a Suzuki Intruder cruiser !

I think that in a few years when I change bikes and get something like a vstrom I will replace the tent with a smaller one but will be Kyham for the simple way its errected !

Cheers
Will

Last edited by geordie_e; 12 Jan 2008 at 18:58. Reason: my mind wanders !
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12 Jan 2008
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colchester uk
Posts: 64
a good way to protect ground sheet is with sheet of bubble wrap (the packageing stuff) cut to shape
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: sunny England
Posts: 789
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachface View Post
a good way to protect ground sheet is with sheet of bubble wrap (the packageing stuff) cut to shape
good idea peachface, that would give you a bit of insulation too
__________________
dave
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13 Jan 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: sunny England
Posts: 789
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie_e View Post
Hi


I think that in a few years when I change bikes and get something like a vstrom I will replace the tent with a smaller one but will be Kyham for the simple way its errected !

Cheers
Will
i wouldnt bother Will, i got a varadero and its plenty wide enough with the panniers on to accomodate a big long tent.
__________________
dave
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14 Jan 2008
stuxtttr's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutterworth,Midlands, UK
Posts: 471
I find the bubble wrap works a treat as well, infact ive used the same piece for years and its still going strong.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Africa, All or Multiple City Thread RalEva Bike Friendly, Africa 3 17 Jan 2008 09:14
Which is the 'fastest' tent? madmarco Camping Equipment and all Clothing 57 26 Oct 2007 14:07
Beating the old drum - the best 2-3 person 4 season tent for MC travel? Margus Camping Equipment and all Clothing 6 12 Apr 2007 10:44
New tent from MSR Ekke Camping Equipment and all Clothing 3 22 Mar 2006 20:47
Touratech F650 parts and Mountain Hardware Tent Rene Cormier TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted 0 1 Jun 2003 00:18

 
 


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:41.