Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Equipment, Travel > Communications

Communications Connecting - internet cafes, laptops, Palm devices, cell phones - how to connect, use, which one, and Bike to Bike and passenger intercoms.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28 Mar 2009
Xander's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Back Down Under (WA)
Posts: 482
eee pc up grades to 68gb ssd and 2gb ram

Hi fellow eee pc owners,



I have just finished up-grading the the specs of my 901 eee pc. I increased the the ram to 2 gig and the drives to 68gig. It took me all of about 10 minutes to do. It was very easy but i though i would post a simple how to.

I got the parts from crucial memory (Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com)
the ram chip was
2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 901 Netbook, CT874715 from Crucial.com
and the ssd was
64GB, PCIe SSD, upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 901 Netbook, CT923491 from Crucial.com

It took about 2 days to arrive.

To install you need some non-magnetic jewlers screw drivers and a clean place to work.

Step1) unplug and remove battery, then to make sure that there is no charge in the compute hit the "on" button.

Step 2) open the back pannel- two screws

Step 3) The ram is at the bottom of the now open panel covered with a black static cloth, push out the two retaining clips, the old ram chip will tilt up to about 45degrees carefully pull out the chip.

Step 4) Still at 45 degrees from flat, line up the new ram chip, and carefully push it in to place, once it is in push it back flat making sure the retaining clips engage.
RAM DONE!


Step 5) The SSD chip is held in wth two more screws (smaller then the panel screws), once these are removed the chip will also move up to 45 degrees (careful this can make the screws fly off and you can lose them easily).

Step 5) Like the ram chip at 45 degrees line up and push in you new SSD chipset and replace two screws.

Step 6) Replace back panel and battery

Step 7) Turn on. Check the system settings (often in the contol panel) and it should now register your new Ram as 1.99gb. Under my computer (in windows) you should see your new drive (usually "D"). If you don’t see it: you need to label it and format it. To do this go to your desk top: right click “my computer” click “manage” then “disk management” . you should now see your new disk. If there is no letter you have to give it one by (again) right clicking your unlabeled dive and then click “Change drive letter…..” after that click “format”. It takes a while to format so get a cup a tea, after that you should be flying.

Good luck
Xander
__________________
2000 Africa Twin
http://two-up-ona-twin.blogspot.com

Last edited by Xander; 29 Mar 2009 at 09:49.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8 Apr 2009
Registered Users
HUBB regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London,UK
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Hi fellow eee pc owners,



I have just finished up-grading the the specs of my 901 eee pc. I increased the the ram to 2 gig and the drives to 68gig. It took me all of about 10 minutes to do. It was very easy but i though i would post a simple how to.

I got the parts from crucial memory (Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com)
the ram chip was
2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 901 Netbook, CT874715 from Crucial.com
and the ssd was
64GB, PCIe SSD, upgrades for ASUS Eee PC 901 Netbook, CT923491 from Crucial.com

It took about 2 days to arrive.

To install you need some non-magnetic jewlers screw drivers and a clean place to work.

Step1) unplug and remove battery, then to make sure that there is no charge in the compute hit the "on" button.

Step 2) open the back pannel- two screws

Step 3) The ram is at the bottom of the now open panel covered with a black static cloth, push out the two retaining clips, the old ram chip will tilt up to about 45degrees carefully pull out the chip.

Step 4) Still at 45 degrees from flat, line up the new ram chip, and carefully push it in to place, once it is in push it back flat making sure the retaining clips engage.
RAM DONE!


Step 5) The SSD chip is held in wth two more screws (smaller then the panel screws), once these are removed the chip will also move up to 45 degrees (careful this can make the screws fly off and you can lose them easily).

Step 5) Like the ram chip at 45 degrees line up and push in you new SSD chipset and replace two screws.

Step 6) Replace back panel and battery

Step 7) Turn on. Check the system settings (often in the contol panel) and it should now register your new Ram as 1.99gb. Under my computer (in windows) you should see your new drive (usually "D"). If you don’t see it: you need to label it and format it. To do this go to your desk top: right click “my computer” click “manage” then “disk management” . you should now see your new disk. If there is no letter you have to give it one by (again) right clicking your unlabeled dive and then click “Change drive letter…..” after that click “format”. It takes a while to format so get a cup a tea, after that you should be flying.

Good luck
Xander
Nice one, does it write faster to the SSD ram than the old one? I have the eee pc 1000 and it seems ok, just done the 2gb upgrade and doesn't seem that much faster. As soon as it goes 'tits up' I will reformat and put windows xp lite on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 8 Apr 2009
ozhanu's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 797
sounds great, but, you almost paid the price of a new eee900. hope it will satisfy your expectations.
__________________
ozhan u.
website under construction
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8 Apr 2009
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhanu View Post
sounds great, but, you almost paid the price of a new eee900. hope it will satisfy your expectations.
But worth it in my opinion for a much more capable machine with the same small footprint/weight/ruggedness. I would love to have a 68 gig hard drive on my eee to hold all of my music and pics. As it is I have to sort of shuffle around with USB drives, SD cards, etc. it is kind of a hassle.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 Apr 2009
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Did you not upgrade the C drive? my 4GB is full!!

Thanks

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 5 May 2009
Xander's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Back Down Under (WA)
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybadger View Post
Nice one, does it write faster to the SSD ram than the old one? I have the eee pc 1000 and it seems ok, just done the 2gb upgrade and doesn't seem that much faster. As soon as it goes 'tits up' I will reformat and put windows xp lite on it.
Yeah it is lighting fast... you click a program and it is up before you can see it...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhanu
sounds great, but, you almost paid the price of a new eee900. hope it will satisfy your expectations.

But worth it in my opinion for a much more capable machine with the same small footprint/weight/ruggedness. I would love to have a 68 gig hard drive on my eee to hold all of my music and pics. As it is I have to sort of shuffle around with USB drives, SD cards, etc. it is kind of a hassle.
Quote:

Exactly! Although i do have a back up portable hdd as well... ( i wish it was ssd .. which you can now buy btw)
Did you not upgrade the C drive? my 4GB is full!!

Thanks

Chris
I dont think you can do the C: but I have my program files (except for XP on my D)... I do have the origional 16gig drive spare.. hmmmmm
I will look into it... if not it is for sale see the for sale sections...
__________________
2000 Africa Twin
http://two-up-ona-twin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!

Next HU Eventscalendar

See all events

 

HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.



Scottoiler automatic chain oilers. The most important accessory for your next motorcycle adventure!


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:17.