Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Equipment, Travel > Camping Equipment and all Clothing

Camping Equipment and all Clothing Tents, sleeping bags, stoves etc. Riding clothing, boots, helmets, what to wear when not riding, etc.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29 Jan 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Heine Gericke Tuareg Rallye 2 GTX Jacket?

What do people think of the Tuareg Rallye Goretex jacket for summer riding & for a trip to Morocco from the UK? They're £150 in the HG sale at the moment, which is tempting me a great deal..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29 Jan 2008
kentfallen's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isle of Sheppey, Kent, England, UK
Posts: 668
At that price it sounds a very good deal... Are you serious? £150!!!!
__________________
Triumph Bonneville 800 (2004), Yamaha XT600E (1999), Honda XBR500 (1986).

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29 Jan 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Yup, you can even get them online Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

I went into the local store to me and they didn't have my size, so have ordered one in from Austria for me. Popping down there tomorrow to try it on & make my mind up. Usual price is £250 & from what I've read on here and elsewhere the argument has been that the cheaper Tuareg is a good jacket but this goretex one is too expensive, but with the price at £150 I reckon it'll be ideal for the trip but just wanted to make sure no-one said that it should be avoided.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29 Jan 2008
MarkLG's Avatar
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 228
What time of year are you going to Morocco. These are a nice jacket, but with the leather sleeves they are pretty heavy. You can remove the GoreTex lining which will make it a bit cooler, but without any perforated ventilation panels I think you'll still find it too hot.
When I did Morocco last year I wore a fully armoured base with an unlined enduro jacket over the top:


For a lot of the time I just wore the armour on it's own, and put the jacket on over the top when the speeds picked up a bit.

You can't argue about £150 for a GoreTex jacket though - for more general use yoo won't wrong. Just had a look on their website and they were only showing S and M sizes being available....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29 Jan 2008
Registered Users
New on the HUBB
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLG View Post
You can't argue about £150 for a GoreTex jacket though - for more general use yoo won't wrong. Just had a look on their website and they were only showing S and M sizes being available....
I went into my local store and they had to search the whole of Europe to find an XL that they could get shipped over. When they rang me earlier there was some confusion as somehow they got 2 of them delivered in XL so if anyone wants one in that size they can get one in Farnborough if they're quick!

We're planning in going in the spring so that's it's not too mentally hot when we go down south.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 201
proper snug

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolah View Post
Yup, you can even get them online Hein Gericke (UK) Ltd.

I went into the local store to me and they didn't have my size, so have ordered one in from Austria for me. Popping down there tomorrow to try it on & make my mind up. Usual price is £250 & from what I've read on here and elsewhere the argument has been that the cheaper Tuareg is a good jacket but this goretex one is too expensive, but with the price at £150 I reckon it'll be ideal for the trip but just wanted to make sure no-one said that it should be avoided.
Hi Guys

After looking at this thread Tuesday I went and got one of these jackets for a ride I’m planning in two years time. I figured I’d get it now and save some money, it’s just turned up today. Beautiful jacket but a word of warning, I’m a small guy and my clothes are always a medium. I’ve had to take the elastic waist adjustment belt off and this thing is still proper snug with nothing more than a thermal t-shirt on underneath.

If I take the Gore-tex lining out I can put the elastic waist adjustment belt in and put on a thin ish woollen jumper on top of my thermal t-shirt. It seems to be the lining pulling it in….. Could I put up with it for a 20,000km ride? Not sure. Still I’m going to ride with it for a season and see it if gives a little. Having said all that, the large is probably a bit big
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiceman View Post
Hi Guys

After looking at this thread Tuesday I went and got one of these jackets for a ride I’m planning in two years time. I figured I’d get it now and save some money, it’s just turned up today. Beautiful jacket but a word of warning, I’m a small guy and my clothes are always a medium. I’ve had to take the elastic waist adjustment belt off and this thing is still proper snug with nothing more than a thermal t-shirt on underneath.

If I take the Gore-tex lining out I can put the elastic waist adjustment belt in and put on a thin ish woollen jumper on top of my thermal t-shirt. It seems to be the lining pulling it in….. Could I put up with it for a 20,000km ride? Not sure. Still I’m going to ride with it for a season and see it if gives a little. Having said all that, the large is probably a bit big
I've experienced similar sizing issues with HG clothing - there is no substitute for trying it on in the shop, I have found.
__________________
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 201
the main zipper just bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
I've experienced similar sizing issues with HG clothing - there is no substitute for trying it on in the shop, I have found.


Quick update on my nice new jacket…… the main zipper just bust rubbish plastic ones. Going to email HG and see if they will change it for the ALPINESTARS Vista Drystar Jacket in a large size this time I think. Its an extra £50 but don’t think I can live in this for 20’000 clicks. Not A Happy Camper
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 305
Rev'It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolah View Post
What do people think of the Tuareg Rallye Goretex jacket for summer riding & for a trip to Morocco from the UK? They're £150 in the HG sale at the moment, which is tempting me a great deal..
Do yourself a favour - try a Rev'It jacket - seriously, can't stop raving bout 'em!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...879#post172951
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 8 Feb 2008
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isle of Wight
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiceman View Post

Going to email HG and see if they will change it for the ALPINESTARS Vista Drystar Jacket in a large size this time I think.
Just got my ALPINESTARS Vista Drystar Jacket in the post... What can i say..SWEET, just sweet. Now i'm happy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10 Feb 2008
Caminando's Avatar
Moderated Users
Veteran HUBBer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DogZone Country
Posts: 1,227
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLG View Post
What time of year are you going to Morocco. These are a nice jacket, but with the leather sleeves they are pretty heavy. You can remove the GoreTex lining which will make it a bit cooler, but without any perforated ventilation panels I think you'll still find it too hot.
When I did Morocco last year I wore a fully armoured base with an unlined enduro jacket over the top:


For a lot of the time I just wore the armour on it's own, and put the jacket on over the top when the speeds picked up a bit.

You can't argue about £150 for a GoreTex jacket though - for more general use yoo won't wrong. Just had a look on their website and they were only showing S and M sizes being available....
Hey Mark

Youve done what I was considering for a while - body armour with a normal jacket. How do find this combination in heat and cold? Any info would be useful. I'm sick of buying bike jackets only to be let down every time for various reasons, eg, crap zips, poor w/proofing, sweaty, heavy etc. And I wont pay daft prices for questionable Goretex.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hein Gericke Tuareg LC3 Crusty Camping Equipment and all Clothing 18 12 Apr 2007 19:11
Help-need HG Tuareg Rallye LC pants IslandNighthawk Camping Equipment and all Clothing 2 31 Oct 2006 02:33
Gericke Tricky PSX Goretex all weather jacket? davetherave Camping Equipment and all Clothing 0 28 Jun 2006 23:07
Hein Gericke, Tuareg jacket for sale Richard Gurr TRAVEL Equipment for Sale / Wanted 0 1 Jun 2003 02:43

 
 
 

NEW! HU 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar is now available! Get your copy now for some terrific travel inspiration!

HUGE, 11.5 x 16.5 inches, beautifully printed in Germany on top quality stock! Photos are the winning images from over 600 entries in the 9th Annual HU Photo Contest!

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Motorcycle Adventure Travel Calendar.

"The calendar is magnificent!"

"I just wanted to say how much I'm loving the new, larger calendar!"

We share the profit with the winning photographers. YOU could be in the HU Calendar too - enter here!


HU DVD Autumn Special!

Take 40% off Road Heroes Part 1 until October 31 only!

Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers Peter and Kay Forwood (193 countries two-up on a Harley); Dr. Greg Frazier (5 times RTW); Tiffany Coates (RTW solo female); and Rene Cormier (University of Gravel Roads).

The first in an exciting new series, Road Heroes features tales of adventure, joy and sheer terror by veteran travellers."Inspiring and hilarious!"

"I loved watching this DVD!"

"Lots of amazing stories and even more amazing photographs, it's great fun and very inspirational."

"Wonderful entertainment!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'HEROES' on your order when you checkout.


Renedian Adventures


Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!


What turns you on to motorcycle travel?


Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!


New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.


Books & DVDs

amazon

All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.


Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12.