It should spin freely if not pushed down in place.
1. First put the fuel in.
2. Then get some air in there. You only need your thumb for this. Put your thumb over the little pin-***** hole at the top of the pump lever and start pumping.
3. You will feel the pressure building up.
4. Once compressed (strong resistance) take your thumb off the end and push the pump lever into position. The pump has a non-return valve so it wont suddently deflate. The opening and closing of the pump is only for releasing and storing the lever.
5. Rotate the head of the pump lever clockwise to clock in place.
6. To ignite turn little red lever and light when you hear hissing noise.
7. It will go Woof and burn yellow for a few secionds before the fuel in the tube heats up and then it should start burning blue. It it doesn't then there is too little pressure in the cylinder or the tap is not open enough.
8. Go look in mirror and comb smouldered eye-brows
You can travel with it full up without troubles.
If it ever clogs up just treat it with some good old carb cleaner (I've used my for two years now without needing to do this)
(Since when is the use of ***** in pin-***** a swear word and need to be sensored)