A few fixes on an RTW trip.
KTM 690 Teaspoon shift lever fix: In Turkey my shift lever spring broke. I noticed a teaspoon on the ground and it worked for the next 1000 km until I could replace it in Georgia.
KTM 690 Automatic decompression slop fix: In Russia, the screw that holds weight that activates the automatic decompression came loose. This in turn widened out the hole in the weight so there was slop. It would pull on the shaft and make a small copper clip fail. Using a few different files, I "machined" a washer to fit inside the weight that was just thick enough to take the slop out without hindering the movement. This lasted 8,000 km to Sakhalin island where I replaced the weight with a new piece.
BMW 650 chain adjustment fix.. with KTM wrench: On the start of the BAM, my friend's BMW 650 Dakar broke the piece that allows the rear tire/chain tension to be adjusted. The best thing we could fix it with was the KTM wrench I had. This lasted 8000 km to Vladivostock. From there, the bike was shipped back to Europe and he replaced the wrench with a stock piece.
Regulator Rectifier from 95 kawasaki in KTM 690: In Tajikistan, my RR went out on my 690. The only replacement I could find was from a 95 Kawasaki street bike. It even bolted up with longer bolts. In a situation like this, any 3 wire input RR will work. It was used and cost me $40. I still have this RR in my bike 30,000 km later. I have a spare but haven't felt the need to fix what is not broken.
Suspension bolt fix on KTM 690: In Spain, we noticed my suspension was buggered from the lower bolt coming out of the lower shock point. On the 690, the top bolt is the same so we pulled that out and went looking for a replacement. We found a bolt that had the right threads and almost the right collar. With a think washer and a hacksaw, we had a bolt that matched. Since the head was to big to fit on the lower part, this was installed on the top. The top bolt is still installed 50,000 km later. The lower suspension links were replaced just in case.