F650 GS Crazy electrics cutout... Any ideas?
F650 GS Dakar 2004, 80000 miles on the clock, big overland trip, currently in Costa Rica.
This morning, the bike started as normal. Rode 25km to petrol station, filled up, then bike didn't start anymore. This is what's happening:
1) Key in "ON" position
2) Dashboard lights come on as normal
3) Press ignition
4) One(!) "puffing" sound from somewhere between battery/handlebars, ALL dashboard lights turn off. (I think the noise comes from somewhere underneath the actual starter coil). Definitely NO ticking sound from the starter coil, and NO sound from the starter, i.e. bike is NOT cranking/turning over.
5) Key in "OFF" position: clock is set back to 0:00
6) Key in "ON" position: clock display turns off, NO dashboard lights whatsoever
7) Wait for 5-10 minutes: dashboard lights work again, i.e. back to 2)
I don't know why and how, but after 3-4 attempts (of waiting 5-10 minutes) I got the bike to start and rode back to the hostel, from which I'm now doing this posting. At the hostel, the bike turned on again as normal.
I'm a bit nervous about continuing into Nicaragua. Spare parts are probably better sourced here in Costa Rica or Panama (seen a few local F650s here).
Fuses underneath bench are all OK. I'm 100% sure it's got nothing to do with the actual starter (as it doesn't even get that far), and I don't think it's the battery either. (It's just 4000km old anyway, terminals are all well-connected).
Does anyone know what could be the problem? Main thing is: Where does that one-time "puff" noise come from? Could be a fuse blowing – but as I said: 10 minutes later it's all OK again and the dashboard lights come on...
Thanks very much for any kind of help/pointers in the right direction!!