The Achievable Dream 5-part series - the definitive guide on DVD for planning your motorcycle adventure. Get Ready! covers planning, paperwork, medical and many other topics! "Inspirational and Awesome!" See the trailer here!
Gear Up! is a 2-DVD set, 6 hours! Which bike is right for me? How do I prepare the bike? What stuff do I need - riding gear, clothing, camping gear, first aid kit, tires, maps and GPS? What don't I need? How do I pack it all in? Lots of opinions from over 150 travellers! "This DVD will save you a fortune!"See the trailer here!
So you've done it - got inspired, planned your trip, packed your stuff and you're on the road! This section is about staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure. And crossing borders, war zones or oceans!
On the Road! is 5.5 hours of the tips and advice you need to cross borders, break down language barriers, overcome culture shock, ship the bike and deal with breakdowns and emergencies."Just makes me want to pack up and go!" See the trailer here!
Tire Changing!Grant demystifies the black art of Tire Changing and Repair to help you STAY on the road! "Very informative and practical." See the trailer here!
Ladies on the Loose! For the first time ever, a motorcycle travel DVD made for women, by women! These intrepid women share their tips to help you plan your own motorcycle adventure. They also answer the women-only questions, and entertain you with amazing tales from the road! Presented by Lois Pryce, veteran solo traveller through South America and Africa and author of 'Lois on the Loose', and 'Red Tape and White Knuckles.'
"It has me all fired up to go out on my own adventure!" See the trailer here!
We're not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown a hobby into a full time job and a labour of love.
When you decide to become a Member, it helps directly support the site. You get additional privileges on the HUBB, access to the Members Private Store, and more to come as we roll out new systems. Of course, you get our sincere thanks, good karma and knowing you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. :-)
Travel BooksMotorcycle and travel books to inspire and inform you!
DVDs - Watch and Learn!
Horizons Unlimited presents!
Achievable Dream The definitive guide to planning your motorcycle adventure! This insanely ambitious 2-year project has produced an informative and entertaining 5-part, 18 hour DVD series. "The ultimate round the world rider's how-to DVD!" MCN UK.
Collectors Box SetAll 5 DVDs with a custom printed slip case. "The series is 'free' because the tips and advice will save much more than you spend on buying the DVD's."
Advertisers- Horizons Unlimited is well-established as the first source of reliable, unbiased information on all aspects of motorcycle travel.
We reach a dedicated, worldwide group of real travellers, and are the only website focusing exclusively on long distance motorcycle travellers.
If you sell motorcycles or motorcycle accessories, riding gear, camping equipment and clothing, transport motorcycles, organize motorcycle tours, or have motorcycles to rent, you should be advertising with us!
Some mods I made over the years & the reasons why (I'm NOT getting into any KTM vs BMW debates. It's all about the Rotax engine.
1. Installed dynamic fork springs from Wunderlich - to prevent front bottoming out all the time on uneven terrain & makes a difference in sand. The bike is just more stable.
2. Replaced tail light with LED tail light from Touratech - expensive but saves battery
3. Installed ON/OFF toggle switch for head light - saves battery, and in Africa some people and police get annoyed if your lights are on in daylight
4. Replaced the standard main shock after original died after about 40 000km (and good fun in Lesotho!).
5. Fitted Barkbuster hand guards to better protect hands and levers. For the F650s they come standard with 20mm handle bar raisers, so that was actually a 2-in-1 mod.
6. WIDER FOOT PEGS - so that I can stand for longer periods.
7. Also installed a fold-away gear lever, crash bars that protect the front "Tupperware", thus protecting the radiator in case of a fall.
8. Installed protective radiator grille to keep stones away from the fins.
9. Connected the power socket direct to the battery for more reliable power to the GPS and moved the power point to the handle bars for easier access and less mud and dust on the socket.
10. For extra fuel: I take along either a 7litre fuel bag or 10litre fuel can locked to the bike/pannier(s).
11. Fitted a centre stand!!! Makes all the difference when having to take a wheel off to fix punctures.
12. Replaced the standard throw-away air filter with an K&N reusable filter. Also expensive, but one less thing to carry.
13. Replaced the standard battery with a stronger and SEALED battery from Wunderlich. It gets hot and the standard battery runs dry and you get stuck in the middle of nowhere... Ever tried pushing the Dakar to get it started?
To sort out the green fuel problem, fitted an aftermarket end can(-nister) to get rid of the catalytic converter. It also gives the bike a tiny bit more power (less restrained) and it sounds less like a commuting bike. Ha-ha. Could get you into trouble when you get back to the EU, I think.
NB. The best investment in the bike was probably the improvement to the rider (me) by going on an very good offroad riding course. Most fun I had in a long time and learnt a lot. The less I put the bike down, the longer it will last!
PM me for a list of what I'm packing for my trip that starts early in March this year.
You're welcome, Costa - I got a lot of (if not most!) my info, for the trip from HUBB. I'll be travelling from Amsterdam to Alicante (Spain) to Oran (Algeria) and through Algeria, Niger, Burkina, Mali, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, DRC, ANgola, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Mmozamboque, Swaziland and Lesotho to Cape Town. I'll PM you my packing list.
Cooped up indoors in crap weather? Binge watch over 20 hours of inspiring, informative and entertaining stories and tips from 150 travellers! Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to order them both and use Coupon Code 'BoxSet+' on your order when you checkout.
What others say about HU...
"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA
"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada
"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia
"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders
10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!
Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!
Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.
You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or
to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and
knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.