Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Bike Friendly, Africa (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/bike-friendly-africa/)
-   -   Marocco, Marrakesh - Hotels (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/bike-friendly-africa/marocco-marrakesh-hotels-10393)

fireboomer 10 Dec 2001 21:34

Marocco, Marrakesh - Hotels
 
Anyone who even comes close to Marrakesh should stay a day and a night in the Medina of this city. I am no city-guy myself, but what I have experienced in Marrakesh was unique for me.

Two points of interest:
The Djemaa el Fna square.
GPS:
N 31°37,509'
W 007° 59,244'
Take youre time to hang around here en afternoon and an evening. You will find anything here: foodstands (wich you can trust, we have eaten several days and nobody got sick), black magic, snake guys, clowns, singers, dancers, artists, herb-stands,.... Next to the squares you will find the entrances to the famous Souks of Marrakech.

A great hotel to stay is the Hotel Essaouira.
GPS:
N 31°37,477'
W 007° 59,274'
It is about 200m from the square, still in the Medina. I asked the owner if I would be allowed to park my bike inside the next time (was backpacking this time) the hotel and he directly agreed.
If you are with a group of bikes there are two garded parking lots at about 200m, just next to the Djemaa el Fna square.
A basic single room will cost you 50Dr, clean room and sheets! Or you can sleep on the great terrace looking over Marrakesh, 25Dr a night. Showers are 10Dr and breakfast about 15Dr.

I would recommend everybody not to take a shower in the hotels, but to go to the Hammam's. These are public bathing places. The one I visited was very clean. Floor and walls heated, and as much hot (very hot) water as you want for as long as you want. Will cost you 10Dr.


Other points of interest`around Marrakech:

Railroad station, Hassan 2 avenue
N 31°37,781'
W 008°01,130'

City gate Bab er Bob
If you are heading out to the high Atlas (direction Asni) you will have to take the main road leaving Marrakesh here. Also you can take Grand Taxi's here going to Asni.
N 31°36,754'
W 007°59,679'


If you have any questions feel free to email me directly.


[This message has been edited by fireboomer (edited 10 December 2001).]

Caminando 25 Dec 2007 20:50

Marrakesh, hotels
 
Doubtless there are others, but I recommend

Hotel Mimosa, just off Jmaa el Fna, 1, rue des banques Quenaria. 7 euros for a single. Clean, tiled, bring bike inside. Tel. 212 24 42 63 85. The owner just gave me his mobile number (which includes the UK to Morocco code) which he says is better to use.....0021261552887.

Hotel CTM. On Jmaa el Fna. Secure bike parking under hotel.( Pay extra.) 10 Euros a single room.

Eat at Restaurant Toubkal opposite. The one next to Toubkal will try to cheat you out of change, which is tiresome.

I have also used the youth hostel, near the station; bikes come inside.

Oh if you want a rug - I suggest you dont go to the souk except to look. These guys will eat you alive on price. As you go through the fascinating souk, just hum to yourself, "Oh the shark has pearly teeth! " (You Brecht/Weill afficionados will know the tune.)

Go instead to the co-operative on the big dual carriageway running past the Koutubia. I forget the name of the street. There is one commercial seller in the crafts complex, and then the co-op. If you get skimmed a little in there, it wont be too painful. Far less than in the souk. The idea is that the women who make these things get a fairer share of the money.

There is much less crime in Morocco than there is in the UK, for example.

A salaikum o salaam.

Martynbiker 26 Dec 2007 00:32

Got any pics of those?
 
they sound great Caminando.... and not too far away from me! only 1200 Km a good 2 day ride really. call it 3 I suppose.

cmon, post your pics then!

:welcome: Back, Thought you was on a 3 month Ban? How come you got that Lifted in 4 days?
Perhaps Caminando is a Freemason and knows Funny Handshakes!:confused1:

Susan Johnson 26 Dec 2007 16:20

Christmas presents
 
Hi Martyn and all

In the spirit of Christmas, and with promises from all concerned to be good little boys and girls from now on, all bans have been lifted. Turn the other cheek, please.

Happy holidays,
Susan & Grant


Quote:

Originally Posted by Martynbiker (Post 165031)
they sound great Caminando.... and not too far away from me! only 1200 Km a good 2 day ride really. call it 3 I suppose.

cmon, post your pics then!

:welcome: Back, Thought you was on a 3 month Ban? How come you got that Lifted in 4 days?
Perhaps Caminando is a Freemason and knows Funny Handshakes!:confused1:


palace15 26 Dec 2007 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 165117)
Hi Martyn and all

In the spirit of Christmas, and with promises from all concerned to be good little boys and girls from now on, all bans have been lifted. Turn the other cheek, please.

Happy holidays,
Susan & Grant



But our points stay...:rofl:

All of us were only joking, but persons that remain anonomous found it offensive and grassed us.

Honestly Suzie, we could have sorted each other out ourselves!
And I am sorry to think the points were like airmiles points.

Hope you, Grant Martyn and Cammy had a good Christmas and wish you all a happy new year......have had to put this bit in in case Suzie gives me the 'Extra' point I need for a ban.
And then my 'new' mates will miss me!!

Martynbiker 26 Dec 2007 18:07

he does have a valid point....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave ede (Post 165118)
But our points stay...:rofl:

All of us were only joking, but persons that remain anonomous found it offensive and grassed us.

Honestly Suzie, we could have sorted each other out ourselves!
And I am sorry to think the points were like airmiles points.

Hope you, Grant Martyn amd Cammy had a good Christmas and wish you all a happy new year......have had to put this bit in in case Suzie gives me the 'Extra' point I need for a ban.
And then my 'new' mates will miss me!!

you could at least " in the spirit of christmas" as you put it knock a few points off...... give em to me if you like, I was as much to blame, I did a fair bit of exciting and gloating too, i mean Inciting,

c,mon Suzie, play it fairer, or did Caminando play a " im a minority and dont understand english too well" card? :eek3:he understands English well enough to have a damn good pop!

Martyn

Susan Johnson 26 Dec 2007 20:50

Airmiles and other points
 
You might be surprised to know that neither Grant nor I look at every post on the HUBB! We rely on our moderators (all volunteers) to keep an eye on things, and on everyone to be civil and polite to each other, and to report any abuse, including spam and con artists.

So that's to reassure you that unless we have a complaint which needs investigating you won't have to worry about your points resulting in a ban. For info, moderators can also give points.

Martyn I'm happy to give you some points and take away from the others and that is a very kind offer on your part!

Dave, if you call me Suzie in public again I'll have to hurt you. Grant isn't even allowed to call me that. :nono:

Cheers
S

Martynbiker 26 Dec 2007 23:28

Stop pickin on him!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 165171)
You might be surprised to know that neither Grant nor I look at every post on the HUBB! We rely on our moderators (all volunteers) to keep an eye on things, and on everyone to be civil and polite to each other, and to report any abuse, including spam and con artists.

So that's to reassure you that unless we have a complaint which needs investigating you won't have to worry about your points resulting in a ban. For info, moderators can also give points.

Martyn I'm happy to give you some points and take away from the others and that is a very kind offer on your part!

Dave, if you call me Suzie in public again I'll have to hurt you. Grant isn't even allowed to call me that. :nono:

Cheers
S

Did we miss it then Susan?:oops2:
you had a go at "Sheepy" Ede for calling you Suzie and completly missed the fact that I did as well! Tut, Tut! we are getting less observant aren't we?
or have we just got it in for "Sheepy"?:rofl:

Martyn

Susan Johnson 27 Dec 2007 01:27

Okay, since you're really asking for points!
 
Martyn

Since you keep asking, consider it done - you now have 4 points, and I've taken them out of Caminando's and Dave's score. Merry Christmas! :santa:

And the next person who refers to me as Suzie again will automatically get a 3 day ban! :taz:

Susan

Martynbiker 27 Dec 2007 07:44

Ta!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 165200)
Martyn

Since you keep asking, consider it done - you now have 4 points, and I've taken them out of Caminando's and Dave's score. Merry Christmas! :santa:

And the next person who refers to me as Suzie again will automatically get a 3 day ban! :taz:

Susan

Well at least your being fair and have taken them of me mates points! good on ya lass!
The way you deal with things we are more likeley to refer to you as 'Uzi' from now on! :rofl: you shoot the messenger...... did i touch a nerve pointing out that you had missed the fact that I had used the forbidden name?:oops2:

Susan Johnson 27 Dec 2007 10:47

Last post on this topic, which is now well off-topic!
 
Martyn

Actually, it was the fact that you had literally asked for them (see below), and also that Dave had been using the forbidden name for several days in other posts.

Quote:

you could at least " in the spirit of christmas" as you put it knock a few points off...... give em to me if you like, I was as much to blame, I did a fair bit of exciting and gloating too, i mean Inciting,
Uzi is okay as a nickname, in fact I think I like it! :gun_bandana:

Cheers
S

Martynbiker 27 Dec 2007 11:55

No problems Uzi!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 165239)
Martyn

Actually, it was the fact that you had literally asked for them (see below), and also that Dave had been using the forbidden name for several days in other posts.



Uzi is okay as a nickname, in fact I think I like it! :gun_bandana:

Cheers
S

Uzi it is then! :gun_bandana:

And thanks for the points, really, I don't mind.... anything to stop my friends Caminando & "Sheepy" Ede being too close to a :ban:

Martyn


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:35.


vB.Sponsors