Go Back   Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB > Regional Forums > Australia / New Zealand

Australia / New Zealand Topics specific to Australia and New Zealand only.
Contact Overland Solutions for all your custom modifications and setup for overland travel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2006
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,366
Originally Posted by ArcticHarleyMan
So, by reading the original post, I can either take our bikes to Australia without a carnet, or with a carnet. Is that the gist of the thing? And if we don't have carnets, then we must have sufficient insurance (is that our home insurance or insurance we purchase in Australia), the registration from our home country and the bills of lading and bills of sale with us.
Is that right?? If so, then are there any taxes we have to pay upon entering with our bikes?
No - you are confusing things
Separate them up-

Customs - Duty and taxes on imported things .. If you have a carnet then you don't pay them as the carnet says you will be taking them out again - so they don't stay. If you don't have the carnet then you will be charged. When you leave with the goods you'll get some (not all) of your money back.

Insurance- this is third party personal insurance required by law to be able to use the public road .. if you're racing on a race circuit only - you don't need this.

Registration. The bike (or car etc) must be registered. It can be an overseas rego .. but it must be current.

The insurance and rego are state based .. so that changes a little between places. The Customs is country wide .. should be the same every where in Australia.

Lastly - Quarantine .. we don't want your bugs! If your vehicle is not judged clean (can you eat off it?) then it will be cleaned .. and you'll pay for it to be done.

Other charges – yep. Docking fees, storage fees handling fees .. nothing is free.
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2006
ArcticHarleyMan's Avatar
Registered Users
HUBB regular
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 29
So, to boil it all down.

When I have a carnet, I do not pay Duty & Taxes when arriving with my bikes.

If I have managed to acquire international insurance with comp, liab, 3rd party, etc., I still have to purchase 3rd party for (maybe) different states.

Upon arrival, the bikes are stored, Quarantines & Inspected, which I have to pay for.

Is that right?

PS. My bikes are always spotless, and knowing they will be undergoing an inspection, I will probably tear them down and show-clean them, just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2006
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,547
Well boiled down! Yes.
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2006
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,500

After reading all of this, I have a brother on Melbourne, and would like to ride there, I cant help thinking it would be easier and cheaper to buy/hire a bike when you get to OZ and leave it there. There are anumber of trips I would like to make, but not there and back, one way only. It would seem foolish to buy a bike in the UK and then fly it to OZ. No use buying a bike in OZ and riding it back to the UK as it would be very difficult to register
Given that you cant actually 'ride' all the way round, would it debase a RTW trip to have different bikes for different bits ?
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2006
Grant Johnson's Avatar
HU Founder
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 4,547
Originally Posted by oldbmw

Given that you cant actually 'ride' all the way round, would it debase a RTW trip to have different bikes for different bits ?
It's what YOU call it or think it is that makes it a RTW trip. There's no rules, despite some people trying. Who cares anyway? Just go and do it. Whatever "it" is!

There are some virtues to one bike per continent! Cost of shipping and insurance etc hassles versus set up on every new bike.

One couple I know buy the exact same bike everywhere they go. Makes it easy - same setup, same spares, etc.
Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


Inspiring, Informing and Connecting travellers since 1997!
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2006
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 141
Coming into Australia

we got an 6 months touristvisa, which costs us 70 Aus $, ca. 50 Euro.
under 30 years you will get easily a visa to working and travelling.
It is very easy to find a job for travellers here
Here you can get your visa online without any hassle

A Carnet de Passages makes it easier!
Information abot that from the australian Automobil Club

We needed a technical check, which was easy.
Then an insurance for the bikes
Cost for 6 months: 75 Aus $, ca. 50 Euro
you DO NOT need an australian numberplate!!!!!!!!!!!
Best wishes
Ralf & Eva

around the world on 2 motorbikes

The homepage has a translation service!!
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2006
Vaufi's Avatar
Contributing Member
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Munich, the beer capital
Posts: 810

@ ArcticHarleyMan
check the following government website: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

You've got two possibilities for temporary imports
a) With a carnet, which makes things easier, but requires you to pay a deposit at the bank/automobile association or whatever.
b) Obtain a 'VEHICLE IMPORT APPROVAL' well in advance (see above site)

Regardless of a) or b) your vehicle has to undergo a technical inspection and after that it has to be registered at the licensing office, where your foreign rego is just entered into the computer. YOU DO NOT NEED AN OZ REGO as some ignorant clerks at the licensing office believe. The above mentioned government link states explicitly:
>>Vehicle registration
Customs has no control or authority over motor vehicle or motorcycle specifications or registration requirements in Australia.

Before bringing your vehicle to Australia, you should check with the motor vehicle registration authorities of the State or Territory where it is intended to be registered to ensure that it will meet their registration requirements.

Vehicles can be temporarily imported and legally driven on Australian roads for the period of carnet validity (or temporary importation period) provided registration is still current in the vehicle's country of origin.<<

You definitely need a local 3rd party insurance, irrespective of any insurance you have from your home country. Regarding this, also check the following link: http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm
Here you will find the complete info you need. And buggar me - I registered my bike in WA. This was accepted in all other Oz states. BUT: If you register your vehicle in another state, this is NOT accepted in WA. Can you believe that!?! May I quote the RAAC:
>> If a permit has been issued to an overseas registered vehicle in another State or Territory of Australia, that permit is not acceptable in Western Australia. << :-((

Only when we pause to wonder
do we go beyond the limits of our little lives.
(Rod McKuen)
Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2006
Registered Users
Veteran HUBBer
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: coventry uk
Posts: 152
vehicle imports to australia

I have just this week completed the temporary import of a toyota land cruiser into australia and i think its all been covered above..ive written about it on my website www.gonewandering.co.uk but to summarise it (as i undertsand it) this what happened to me
we had carnet du passage and a two minute inspection was easy "have you and explosives guns or drugs!"

a very very very thorough check of everything and he said
"im looking for anything to send yu to the cleaners..he didnt find anything but i had spent three days cleaning every bloody corner the quarantine inpsection cost £80

48 hour permit to drive
this you get over the phone and it allows you to drive from the port to a vehicle inspection station £10

vehicle inspection
they checked lights indicators wheel bearings and then took it for a test drive £42

you go to the vehicle licensing section who look at the certificate of road worthiness, proof of identiy and your carnet. they then issue you with a license which cost £80 for four months. your now legal and insured against third party personal accident, she told me that i was legal for all states..but what the hell do i know????

third party property insurance
costs abot £120 for four months

all in all a pain in the arse, and only just about breakeven (with the cost of shipping) to hiring ..so why did i import it?? well obviously i am stupid
jeff watts
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Registered Users and/or Members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying in UK, selling in Australia davidmc Trip Paperwork 4 4 Feb 2004 02:10
Permanent import of bike to Australia JNTaylor Trip Paperwork 5 26 May 2003 14:54
Singapore to Australia Trip Transport 1 31 Jan 2003 00:19
Australia to Africa shipping vehicle Mel D Trip Transport 1 24 Nov 2002 07:09
Temporary import to Kenya! seppo Trip Paperwork 3 10 Jan 2001 09:41


HU DVD Summer Special!

Now that summer is here, get On the Road! Take 30% off the Achievable Dream - On the Road! 2-DVD set until August 31 only. Get On the Road! Learn the tips to staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure!

Our veteran travellers share their tips (and great stories) for staying healthy, happy and secure on your motorcycle adventure.

"A fantastic, informative and inspirational DVD."

"It's brilliant - thank you very much!"

Check it out at the HU Store! Remember to use Coupon Code 'ONTHEROAD' on your order when you checkout.

Renedian Adventures

Renedian Adventures

What others say about HU...

"I just wanted to say thanks for doing this and sharing so much with the rest of us." Dave, USA

"Your website is a mecca of valuable information and the DVD series is informative, entertaining, and inspiring! The new look of the website is very impressive, updated and catchy. Thank you so very much!" Jennifer, Canada

"...Great site. Keep up the good work." Murray and Carmen, Australia

"We just finished a 7 month 22,000+ mile scouting trip from Alaska to the bottom of Chile and I can't tell you how many times we referred to your site for help. From how to adjust your valves, to where to stay in the back country of Peru. Horizons Unlimited was a key player in our success. Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world are in debt to your services." Alaska Riders

contest pic

10th Annual HU Travellers Photo Contest is on now! This is an opportunity for YOU to show us your best photos and win prizes!

NEW! HU 2014 Adventure Travel T-shirts! are now available in several colors! Be the first kid on your block to have them! New lower prices on synths!

HU 2014 T-shirts now in!

Check out the new Gildan Performance cotton-feel t-shirt - 100% poly, feels like soft cotton!

What turns you on to motorcycle travel?

Global Rescue, WORLDwide evacuation services for EVERYONE

Global Rescue is the premier provider of medical, security and evacuation services worldwide and is the only company that will come to you, wherever you are, and evacuate you to your home hospital of choice. Additionally, Global Rescue places no restrictions on country of citizenship - all nationalities are eligible to sign-up!

New to Horizons Unlimited?

New to motorcycle travelling? New to the HU site? Confused? Too many options? It's really very simple - just 4 easy steps!

Horizons Unlimited was founded in 1997 by Grant and Susan Johnson following their journey around the world on a BMW R80 G/S motorcycle.

Susan and Grant Johnson Read more about Grant & Susan's story

Membership - help keep us going!

Horizons Unlimited is not a big multi-national company, just two people who love motorcycle travel and have grown what started as a hobby in 1997 into a full time job (usually 8-10 hours per day and 7 days a week) and a labour of love. To keep it going and a roof over our heads, we run events (22 this year!); we sell inspirational and informative DVDs; we have a few selected advertisers; and we make a small amount from memberships.

You don't have to be a Member to come to an HU meeting, access the website, the HUBB or to receive the e-zine. What you get for your membership contribution is our sincere gratitude, good karma and knowing that you're helping to keep the motorcycle travel dream alive. Contributing Members and Gold Members do get additional features on the HUBB. Here's a list of all the Member benefits on the HUBB.

Books & DVDs


All the best travel books and videos listed and often reviewed on HU's famous Books page. Check it out and get great travel books from all over the world.

Motorcycle Express for shipping and insurance!

Motorcycle Express

MC Air Shipping, (uncrated) USA / Canada / Europe and other areas. Be sure to say "Horizons Unlimited" to get your $25 discount on Shipping!
Insurance - see: For foreigners traveling in US and Canada and for Americans and Canadians traveling in other countries, then mail it to MC Express and get your HU $15 discount!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:06.