Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/)
-   -   Staying in Australia for a while (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/staying-in-australia-for-while-64294)

ROMAND 16 May 2012 14:07

Staying in Australia for a while
Hi there, in august i'll depart for my RTW trip on my BMW sertao from Denver, Colorado. I'll ride first to Alaska, then all Americas, Africa, Europe ( i'm from Czech Republic, w/US passport) to Asia, Australia and New Zealand and i'll expect to ran out of money sometime in Australia. I'd like to stay there for a while and get a job in Australia to make some money for the last part/New Zealand. If you have any contacts in Australia i'll appreciate it. Thank you, Roman D.

rusty max 16 May 2012 14:30


Sounds great, you gonna have a lot of fun. As far as Australia is concerned,
you got to have the right visa, if you want or need to work. Under 30 years of age, you can apply for a working holiday visa (WHV). You can apply, just one day before your 30th birthday. Most european and asian passport holders can. Not sure about US citizens.
Be prepared, not much is cheap here any more, specially when you come from Asia.

Always stay upright and good luck

Cheers RM

m37charlie 18 May 2012 17:33

While travelling through Australia 2010-12 we ran in to lots of young people from all over the world (Europe, China, etc - not US naturally) including fairly remote roadhouses that were working under the work/tourist visa program. I think jobs are easy to get in those places; maybe minum wage, but that is $15/hr, almost double what it is in US. Of course prices are higher also.


RogerM 20 May 2012 11:19

WHVs are not available to US citizens.

Just be aware that there has been a renewed crack down on people either over staying their visas or working on tourist visas. Employers now face large fines which make hiring an illegal worker too riskly - taxation fines and immigration dept. fines. About the only employers who can risk it are cash businesses - and then there is no gurantee they wont rip you off when you come to leave - no pay or 50% of what you should be paid.

If you get caught your passport gets stamped "not to re-enter Australia" which will cause problems when arriving in other countries as they want to know what you did in Oz. We have an American friend who got caught working a few years ago and she is still on the "not to re-enter" list as she cannot get an electronic visa. She went to the UK from the US and got a grilling on arrival. She had to pay for the cost of her deportation as well.

Griffdowg 21 May 2012 08:15


Originally Posted by rusty max (Post 379232)
if you want or need to work. Under 30 years of age, you can apply for a working holiday visa (WHV). You can apply, just one day before your 30th birthday

I read it as 18-30 INCLUSIVE. So you can get it while your 30, before you turn 31. It also looks like you get 12 months before you have to use it.


I hope this is right, because Im looking to apply later this year (30 in August) and enter Aus around September next year with vehicle.


Gummikuh 22 May 2012 02:40

HI g!

You're right! Thats the way it works :-)


ROMAND 25 May 2012 14:11

Hi guys, I'd like to thank you all for your info.... unfortunatelly i'm 40 already and Australia/New Zealand is end of my trip anyway. That's where i think i'll ran out money, so i'll have to do something to be able to get back to USA / LA. Thank you again, Roman.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:38.