Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB

Horizons Unlimited - The HUBB (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/)
-   -   shipping to Australia (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/australia-new-zealand/shipping-to-australia-18479)

skip 9 Feb 2006 23:40

shipping to Australia
Iám hoping to ship 2 bikes from South America to Austraila in september, we want to spend about 6 months there. Are storage cost´s high as the bikes will probably have to arrive before we do.Any helpfull info on the customs procedures and any info on paperwork needed for travel in Austraila (ie is it best to have a carnet)would be great, We are just trying to sort out a shipping agent so we are only in the early stages so any help would be great
cheers Skip

Frank Warner 10 Feb 2006 03:51


Storage cost are very high if you just leave it on the docks! Best to get it out of customs and on to somewhere else.

Adventurisedotcom 13 Feb 2006 14:01

Hi Skip - Be warned that Quarantine may sting you with a big bill if your vehicles are not super clean. Their mandate is "vehicle must be AS CLEAN AS NEW"; it is certainly worth scrubbing the undercarriage with a toothbrush before shipping it out. It cost us over A$3,000 just to get our car through customs. Upon arrival you must register your vehicle in the state of arrival - third party insurance is mandatory. Enjoy.

Frank Warner 14 Feb 2006 05:44


Originally posted by Adventurisedotcom:
Hi Skip - Be warned that Quarantine may sting you with a big bill if your vehicles are not super clean.


<font face="" size="2">Originally posted by Adventurisedotcom:Upon arrival you must register your vehicle in the state of arrival[/B]</font>
No. Unless the vehicle has no registration elswhere or it is coming in permanently.

<font face="" size="2">Originally posted by Adventurisedotcom:- third party insurance is mandatory.[/B]</font>
Yes. Third party personal. Not property.

Adventurisedotcom 14 Feb 2006 06:34

Frank you are wrong. To bring a vehicle into Oz under a Carnet, you have to get a UVP (Unregistered Vehicle Permit) in Oz, whether your vehicle is registered overseas or not.

Detailed information can be found on: http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

NB - It is possible to just drove off from the docks, and not inform the authorities of your arrival (as we learnt from a US motocyclist), but you are risking your whole trip and some more, if you crash and injure someone or even an expensive car.

Grant Johnson 14 Feb 2006 17:14

See the carnet link on the left for more on Oz, and perhaps a simpler explanation than on the official website.

Note that "register the vehicle" is NOT the same as getting an "(Unregistered Vehicle Permit)"

You do NOT register the vehicle in Oz unless you are staying permanently. Frank is correct. But adventurisedotcom is correct too - you DO need a permit.

Grant Johnson

Seek, and ye shall find.


One world, Two wheels.

Frank Warner 15 Feb 2006 03:02


Originally posted by Grant Johnson:
Frank is correct. But adventurisedotcom is correct too - you DO need a permit.
Ruddy confusing. Typical borracracy.

Maybe it should be called "Unregistered in Australia Vehicle Permit"?

Bossit 20 Feb 2006 13:59


I don't really get it! I've just been in Oz for 3 months and came in at Darwin. I needed an "Exception of registration"-form and a compulsary third party insurance and off I went.So i don't know what you guys are talking about? Permits and stuff like that?
Hope this helps anyway!
Enjoy it over there!

beddhist 20 Feb 2006 18:05

I had a quick read through the link posted above and every state in Oz has different regulations. I think the form you had to fill in is the permit referred to. It's just another bureacratic hoop to jump through, nothing to worry about.

knobbly 23 Feb 2006 05:20


im hoping to get into Oz later this year and i contacted the ozzy custome asking about these UVP or whatever they are.

I got a reply from a senior customs officer saying:-

It is my understanding that vehicles imported under carnet do not require a vehicle import approval. The vehicle import approvals are controled by the Dept of Transport and regional services. Go see them.

thought i had it sussed, but may have to look at it again.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb/frown.gif - confused........

Sian Mackenzie 23 Feb 2006 13:11

Hi there,
Vehicle Import Approval is only for those permanently importing a vehicle, eg if you are emigrating to Oz. Otherwise its a carnet and some forms, which probably (can't swear to it) include all the relevant paperwork you need.

Hope this helps.


Frank Warner 24 Feb 2006 05:43


Originally posted by Sian Mackenzie:
Vehicle Import Approval is only for those permanently importing a vehicle

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - in NSW, is intended for vehicles that are not registed (and most people coming form overseas would have their registration from their country) only issued for restricted journeys for durations up to 28 days.

I'd not take the Automobile Associations word - they are not the law makers/enforces ... .. and think their page is for guidance only. However it is clear that the requirements change from state to state - and from the AAA web page
"New South Wales
A vehicle that is in New South Wales (NSW) temporarily is exempt from NSW registration requirements providing that vehicle is registered in another, state, territory or in a foreign country (if you drive into one of our other state/territories it is compulsory to have Third Party Insurance). "

An overseas visitor may apply to Queensland Transport for the issue of an "Overseas Vehicle Permit". This permit will allow the vehicle to be driven on roads without being re-registered. The overseas registration label (or equivalent) and number plates must remain on the vehicle."

"Western Australia
After the vehicle has been cleared by Customs, a temporary permit must be obtained from the Department for Planning and Infrastructure to authorise the vehicle to be driven from point of entry to any vehicle examinations centre to have the vehicle examined for roadworthiness " ...
"Once inspection is passed, an Overseas Visitors Permit will be issued (Third Party Injury Insurance fee only). "

"South Australian
An overseas visitor may apply for an Unregistered Vehicle Permit to drive an overseas registered vehicle in South Australia. "

If the overseas registration is current, an Unregistered Vehicle Permit is not necessary, however Non Registered Vehicle (NRV) cover must be taken out."

knobbly 25 Feb 2006 05:04

Got a reply from the Ozzy Vehicle Imports.
They said if i were temporarily importing my bike with a carnet then i wouldn't need a import approval.

Am going to take the print out of that along with the reply from customs saying the same thing and if i get to Darwin and they wont let me am gonna give Tony Blair a call i recon.

wont be until September though so he may not be in office then...........


Frank Warner 27 Feb 2006 04:45

The beer is cold in Darwin. Make certain the bike is clean before you send it off. Good Luck.

Adventurisedotcom 21 Mar 2006 09:29

Hi Knobbly - I can confirm that you do not need a import approval if you have a carnet. You need your UK registration (it is not necessary for a MOT or UK tax disc), an Aussie version of a MOT (in some states called a pink slip - easily done - only A$28 and less strict than MOT), and proof of address in Australia (even if you are travelling!!! We got a mate to give us a letter confirming that we lived in his flat and lent us a bank statement of his. If u are staying in a hotel upon arrival, a letter from the hotel will suffice). Most officers in the road authority offices have not heard of a carnet - so a smile and gentle bullsh*t worked wonders for us - and saved a few hours! PS. When they ask about your REGO, give them your UK registration and when they ask when it runs out, inform that the carnet's expiry date is your REGO replacement when you are out of the UK. IE your UK registration expires when your carnet does. No worries, mate!

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38.